Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

It seems as if the modships in their early days try to be chill and change what sucked about the last regime. Then they slowly realize the same thing as the last regime. Probations work as long as they keep getting worse. It's basically tantamount to jail time ever increasing to keep people down.

I see it happen in threads where everyone involved in a slap fight is probed and sometimes people get probed just for posting at the same time or having a one line response to the slap fight.

And I ask myself, is this really going to stop future slapfight and make these posters shape up? Or will they just drift on to the next debate or non SA thing to do.

There's an ignore function for a reason and not allowing people to learn to debate each other is fundamentally a problem. "Debate better and civily" is what half the rules can be boiled down to at their basic idea. Sometimes watching these fights play out can show you what people do when they're under stress. If they break down to just personal attacks yeah I get it probe em. But if they continue to actually give effort even if sloppy and hostile, they"re probably in the process of learning and letting their argument be defeated will be better for all of us and less instant reaction to someone reporting another poster because they are losing just to get the argument ended. Or they disagree with the POSITION of the poster and don't want to get a probe themselves. So reporting becomes the expression of dismay with a posters position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Just wanted to hop in and say that the moderation for D&D overall, expecially the USPol/USCE thread, is good overall. About my biggest complaint is I wish there was an explicit rule about explaining twitter sources, especially for having good justification to post a twitter rando who's making a subjective observation based on their "research".

Thanks and keep up the good work, IK/admin team!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I'm not really "building a trampoline" here and if you don't like my example you're free to choose another one - I went with "what are the Democrats for?" because it's easily the most contentious issue that comes up, but it's not the only one.

What you're attempting to do here is to declare one set of premises "ordinary" and another set of premises "extraordinary" and justify this arbitrary arrangement with "take it to another thread." Of course, what happens in that other thread would have no bearing on what happens in USCE, and anyway even if it did, only the people whose premises are currently labeled "extraordinary" would have any incentive to participate. You are manifestly attempting to steer discussion in the direction that you, personally, desire, but you insist that everyone play along with you in this fantasy that you are grounding everything in "facts and sources" when the issue at hand is precisely what framework to use when discussing these facts and sources and drawing conclusions from them.

I think it's important to keep the conclusion-drawing part of it reined in, because drawing conclusions can easily become wild conjecture if you go too far. Even the most bizarre conspiracy theories usually start from facts and evidence, and then take giant leaps when drawing conclusions which ultimately bring their claims well beyond what the evidence actually supports.

For example, Bush's intel agencies failed to detect the activities of the 9/11 hijackers, and Bush used 9/11 as an excuse to invade Iraq. Put those two together and add in a couple of logical leaps, and you get "Bush allowed 9/11 to happen" or even "Bush did 9/11". But even though adherents of those theories will claim they're just drawing conclusions from facts and evidence, a major aspect of their theories is completely unsupported. They're jumping well beyond what there's actually evidence for, filling in the holes with their own imagination - and often so effectively that they don't even realize they're doing it.

It's not a matter of labels or social consensus. It's a matter of how far the conclusions get from the evidence, and how much conjecture has to be jammed into the holes in the theory to shore up the unsupported pieces.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Main Paineframe posted:

I think it's important to keep the conclusion-drawing part of it reined in, because drawing conclusions can easily become wild conjecture if you go too far. Even the most bizarre conspiracy theories usually start from facts and evidence, and then take giant leaps when drawing conclusions which ultimately bring their claims well beyond what the evidence actually supports.

For example, Bush's intel agencies failed to detect the activities of the 9/11 hijackers, and Bush used 9/11 as an excuse to invade Iraq. Put those two together and add in a couple of logical leaps, and you get "Bush allowed 9/11 to happen" or even "Bush did 9/11". But even though adherents of those theories will claim they're just drawing conclusions from facts and evidence, a major aspect of their theories is completely unsupported. They're jumping well beyond what there's actually evidence for, filling in the holes with their own imagination - and often so effectively that they don't even realize they're doing it.

It's not a matter of labels or social consensus. It's a matter of how far the conclusions get from the evidence, and how much conjecture has to be jammed into the holes in the theory to shore up the unsupported pieces.

I mean by this logic wouldn't going "the Saudis did 9/11 and bush used it as a justification to pacify a dictator that had nothing to do with it"

Be just as wild a claim if we were acting on 2001-2004 logic? If someone came into a post 9/11 thread and made that post in today's rule set they'd be probed immediately and continue to try to formulate a theory would result in ramped probes.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

studio mujahideen posted:

The stale arguments rule is idiotic because it privileges gross, bad opinions. Because the only thing that triggers it is responding. You can express the same disgusting opinions however many times you want, but people only get to refute you once.

Someone says the same gross poo poo again, in a slightly different way? Thats fine. Refute that, the same way you did before? Now you're arguing, stale-style.

As I said earlier ITT, that's basically the opposite of how I want the guideline to work. I'll add a clarification to the rules and make sure the mods understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Thank you for the feedback, all. It will be taken into consideration. I will at the very least be getting rid of the sloppy assertions rule and unstickying the Roe thread.