Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Got a weird one here...

Problem description: During normal usage of the computer, nearly any application at any time can crash with a generic display driver missing / stopped responding pop up. This includes full screen direct X poo poo like games, but also Signal, Discord, Twitch in a Chrome window, etc. It started about a month ago, and I'm completely stumped, but I've fallen into a strange stalemate for now (details shortly).

Attempted fixes: I have: Google'd, tried various small / normal changes and settings tweaks to Display adapter properties, power settings, etc. Uninstalled and reinstalled GeForce drivers, tried rolling back to a few different previous versions, etc. Ran every diagnostic program and monitor I could get my hands on (everything nominal, temperatures good, fans operating normally), removed and re-seated my graphics card and my RAM sticks a couple times, tried RAM in different config, etc. Squashed my OS partition and "reset" Windows 10 completely, deleting all local content on the drive, settings, etc, and brought it back up, problem STILL persists. Here's the loving STRANGE part that I've managed to figure out that has brought me to a stalemate: if I have the task manager (ctrl+alt+delete) ACTIVELY loaded, the problem COMPLETELY VANISHES. Several days uptime, usual function, normal usage, NO issues. If I ever accidentally close task manager function, the problem -will- return within hours of normal usage.

Also small thing I noticed but can't chase down the thread on: When an application is crashing and freezing up the "display driver" to throw the error (which will variously cause: all other apps to freeze/crash/need to be restarted, black screen my main desktop window, black screen BOTH windows and necessitate a complete hard restart or soft restart), the application will have that little green leaf symbol on task manager, indicating it is being power managed in some way, which leads me to believe it's some type of power issue or SOMETHING, but again, WHY DOES IT GO AWAY WHEN TASK MANAGER UP!? lol

Recent changes: At one point I enabled hardware acceleration by default in Chrome, maybe a couple weeks before this started, but I don't think it has anything to do with it, was just for some browser apps I was using.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, valid license/authenticated.

System specs:

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Google is stumped or dead ends, especially if I try to search for "why does the having the dang task manager open stop all the crashing?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Some initial thing to try:

-Run DDU https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4092 and then install the latest GPU drivers again.

-Make sure the OS is fully updated.

-Run CDI to check HD health: https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/77593/CrystalDiskInfo8_17_5.exe/

smarxist posted:

Recent changes: At one point I enabled hardware acceleration by default in Chrome, maybe a couple weeks before this started, but I don't think it has anything to do with it, was just for some browser apps I was using.

You could try disabling it again temporarily.