Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I started learning contract bridge a few months ago after, no joke, seeing a newspaper ad for a 12-week beginners' course for $50 and thinking "hell, I could use a new hobby". All I knew about it was:
  • It's kinda-sorta similar to 500 (or vice versa)
  • When I was a kid, the newspaper would print a little bridge column that showed the opening hands and a mock conversation between people named after the cardinal directions for some reason
  • Warren Buffett loving loves it, like to an incredible degree

I'm now at the end of the course and having done virtually no review between sessions due to work and other stuff getting in the way, I'm thinking "boy, I really should have reviewed between sessions". The teacher is good but the book we are using (self-published by a national bridge master) is kind of arse-about in its lessons, so I'm having to go through it with a notepad and write out what I think it's trying to say for my own understanding.

Anyway, since I'm a know-nothing I'm not going to write an explanatory OP. I hope there is enough of a response that we can get a discussion going.

I'm in NZ so we use the NZ Acol bidding system of which I don't remember the name of the main characteristics, but we bid the lower suit with four cards or the higher suit with five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
welp

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
We had a similar thing in our newspapers as well. I was always fascinated trying to understand it when young because it seemed similar to Hearts and Spades which I knew, but ramped up with mysterious scoring.

Even though I used a training app to learn the game, while I know the rules and scoring, the idea of bidding conversation still baffles me and even with practice, it's a struggle.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Playing Bridge solo online is a great way to learn, although depending on the app you can pick up some bad habits and the way bidding systems are programmed seems a bit unreliable sometimes.

My favourite app is an iPhone thing called Bridge V+

It's not expensive and has the major bidding systems. It's a good way to get up to speed and practise your bidding and play.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I played bridge in college, though only casually. It’s an incredible game, and in my opinion the best thing someone can do sitting around with three friends. But it’s almost impossible to learn if you don’t have somebody to learn from, I think.

I miss the days when I played it regularly dearly.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

my whole extended family were hardcore about 500 back in the day. my dad in particular was an absolute nullo shark, he could pull those hands off like it was nothing

it really annoyed whoever was his partner for that game lmao

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I played bridge with my old club online yesterday for the first time in six months. I had a ton of fun. Every hand was a huge disaster, because we all forgot about both how to bid and how to play.

There was one hand that stuck with me, where my partner opened 1D. I had this hand, so I bid 2NT:

Kxx
Qxx
Qxxx
Axx

My partner thought this was 16-18 points and slam invitational… you can’t jump shift into no trumps! But looking this up afterwards, I couldn’t see any real consensus on what this bid should mean. At the table, it felt obvious that 1NT would be 8-10 and thus 2NT should be an invitational balanced hand like this. But it was obvious only to me!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Why is 2NT a better reply than 2D? It is a minor suit but you have a suit match, and it is unlikely that you have game from here

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I don't know, game seems pretty likely here. I have 11 HCP, and my partner has an opening hand. They only need a bit better than a minimum for us to be in game, and if we're in game here it's almost certainly in 3NT unless my partner has ridiculous shape.

I figured if 2NT really did mean my hand, it'd be the best bid because it's pretty descriptive.

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
It’s probably not the biggest sin to downgrade it to a 10, flat 11 with scattered honors are very meh. According to Bridge World Standard 1m-2N is the balanced invite, so I would assume that with no discussions.

Note that 1m-2m nowadays is a invite+ minor raise, and I don’t think nrooks hand really fits that description (as if partner had a hand that would want to be in a diamond game/slam they would certainly make some noise after showing a balanced invite, which implicitly has minor support!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Funny hand recently. I've been continuing to play bridge once a month with my old friends, and we've forgotten everything we ever knew, not that we knew much to begin with. As such, we certainly get into some awkward spots.

I recently was reading a bridge book that talked about balancing bids. Balancing is the idea that if your opponents are about to declare a partscore, and you're in the seat where if you pass they get the contract, it makes sense to bid light more often than if you were in the "direct" seat (right after their bid). The reason for this is that it is usually easy to make contracts at the 1- and 2-level, so you'd rather either you get the contract or at least you force your opponents to go higher than they otherwise would.

However, for me, there were two problems. The first was that all I knew about this idea was in the vague terms I just described, and I didn't know much in more explicit terms--- what sort of hands should balance, what should partner do, and so on. As such, I was likely to screw it up if I tried to apply the idea. And the other, even bigger problem, was that I didn't discuss this with partner before the hand! This led us to this hilarious contract:

pre:
nrook in West:

AQTx
xxxx
Kxx
T4

Bidding:

W    N    E    S
Pass Pass Pass 1D
Pass 1S   Pass Pass
Dbl  Pass 2C   2S
Pass Pass 3C   Pass
Pass Dbl  Pass Pass
Pass
Partner showed up with 6 clubs to the ace and 9 HCP, and we went down three doubled for -500, confidently securing bottom board.

As it turns out: Even if you're in the balancing seat, you probably shouldn't double for takeout when all your points are in the bad guys' suits. And discuss these sorts of things with your partner before you play!