Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toterunner
Apr 25, 2022
:byodood::byodood::byodood: I AM ALMOST CERTAINLY "DAVID SMOLINSKI" COMING FRESH OFF MY BAN FROM THE ARS TECHNICA FORUMS TO SPEW MORE NONSENSE :byodood::byodood::byodood:

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah you still aren't understanding, a common external factor doesn't mean that if Black people have lower economic status because of slavery that all lower economic status is because of slavery.

Huh? So what's a common external factor that explains why black people have higher crime rates than whites and also why whites have a higher crime rates than Asians?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

toterunner posted:

Huh? So what's a common external factor that explains why black people have higher crime rates than whites and also why whites have a higher crime rates than Asians?

People like you?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

toterunner posted:

If you want us to seriously engage you need to actually back up your assertion. Please give us a link to the "worldwide pattern of whites being in between blacks and Asians on crime and education stats".

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

toterunner posted:

insofar as it's a thing, the answer is socioeconomic status in the united states of america.

for several centuries it was de jure legal to punish any black person in the possession of property with confiscation and/or murder, and de facto legal for much of the following century. considerable effort was put into guaranteeing black skin meant poverty, and it bore dividends in the form of an elevated crime rate.

by comparison, "asians" (by which you mean Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans, not coincidentally the three Asian countries with which the American government has had the closest relationships with the wealthy population) could only immigrate to the country if they could put together the financial resources and/or connections to make the journey, meaning that they arrived with considerably higher net worth than the average American. the American government has poured tremendous financial assistance into all three of these countries, and as a result the people who come here from those countries are significantly less likely to be impoverished, and thus much less likely to resort to crimes.

there's other aspects, but if you want One Weird Trick, that really does cover most of them.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

toterunner posted:

I calculated it myself from the FBI link and the washington post link. Percent of cop killers/percent of population was around black 2.64, white 0.67, hispanic 1.04, other 0.38. For percent of victims/percent of population its black 1.94, white 0.75, hispanic 0.98, and other 0.68. Its probably such a high correlation because there are only 4 data points. If you measure how two variables correlate at only two data points, the correlation has to be either 1 or -1.

this is so disconnected from what an actual correlation is I don't even know where to begin correcting you.

let me ask you this. does the fact that you can be so supremely confident about something you are completely, unequivocally ignorant about give you pause? because an error like that isn't just one of ignorance: it's a basic failure to evaluate information .

i'm not sure how central these correlations are to your actual arguments, but if you think you found a near perfect correlation between these two variables, you're incorrect. you didn't even start with the data you would need to compute such a correlation, much less do any controlling for confounding factors that would be standard for computing something like this.

why don't you go back and instead of computing the numbers yourself, do a quick Google scholar search on the subject and see what you come up with? not everybody has to be an expert on statistics but there are plenty of researchers who are and have done the work already. That way you can at least have a baseline understanding that the numbers you're working from are rooted in something.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

insofar as it's a thing, the answer is socioeconomic status in the united states of america.

for several centuries it was de jure legal to punish any black person in the possession of property with confiscation and/or murder, and de facto legal for much of the following century. considerable effort was put into guaranteeing black skin meant poverty, and it bore dividends in the form of an elevated crime rate.

by comparison, "asians" (by which you mean Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans, not coincidentally the three Asian countries with which the American government has had the closest relationships with the wealthy population) could only immigrate to the country if they could put together the financial resources and/or connections to make the journey, meaning that they arrived with considerably higher net worth than the average American. the American government has poured tremendous financial assistance into all three of these countries, and as a result the people who come here from those countries are significantly less likely to be impoverished, and thus much less likely to resort to crimes.

there's other aspects, but if you want One Weird Trick, that really does cover most of them.

Whoa, next you're going to tell me that a few generations ago something killed a lot of poorer Jewish people.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Okay he literally posted FBI black crime facts.

This has to be a troll or an absolute Nazi level dickhead.

But since moderating positions is a big thumbs down. Keep going friend tell us about the size of skulls and the dimples that make these crimes "race based",

F a s cis t

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

Whoa, next you're going to tell me that a few generations ago something killed a lot of poorer Jewish people.

and shortly thereafter America decided to start writing blank checks to a bunch of monarchist religious fundamentalists in the middle east, on the grounds that they also hated the secular communists making inroads in the region. thankfully this decision never came back to bite us.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There probably aren't stock responses to a lot of those particular arguments considering until very recently material conditions were utterly verboten to acknowledge in political discussion, to the point where they are found incomprehensible and disingenuous. Funny how things can change so quickly, and make so much sense when you realise how the conversation was controlled to make it impossible to even discuss topics in the way to draw the correct conclusions.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I regret that I had to help a friend deal with their hideous overgrown yard today and missed this absolute banger of a thread.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I see Joe Biden has been recovering from covid by starting threads in DnD.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like, there are multiple recorded instances of when Black Americans find economic success and create their own thriving communities despite segregation and oppression, white people literally march on them in force, murder everyone there, steal everything they can find and burn down anything they can't steal, with the complete approval and support of all authorities.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm still :f5: ing the thread waiting for Paracaidas to take down some more conservative positions. :shobon:

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
A conservative position that has been discredited is that elites lean democratic, jrod.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Op stopped updating the thread the moment after Alex Jones texts were revealed.

He is Alex Jones lawyer.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Op stopped updating the thread the moment after Alex Jones texts were revealed.

He is Alex Jones lawyer.

This is canon now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ograbme posted:

A conservative position that has been discredited is that elites lean democratic, jrod.

I was wondering why this thread seemed familiar. That was a fun game of trying to get a definition of 'elites'.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

staticman posted:

With all due respect, given the fact that OP inevitably spiraled into unironic race science advocacy, I would like to posit that this is why oppressing conservatives is a good idea, and would like to debate the pros & cons, merits & objections towards anti-conservative discrimination.

This is a pretty good thread idea. I had something similar but it was closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mellow Seas posted:

There is also the matter of exactly what regulations we are talking about; a conservative rhetorical trick is to put them all under one umbrella when some are more essential than others, and some are less economically constrictive than others. A trap that perhaps I have fallen into myself here. :monocle:

Yeah it is not meaningful to talk about government regulation in the abstract, and this is something that everybody, including D&D goons, does, and not just conservatives.

Government regulations can be either productive or non-productive depending on the details of the regulation. It’s a lot more technical and boring to talk specifics so it makes a lot of sense why people talk about it in a binary way.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 20, 2022