Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Disclaimer: I admit to barely knowing what I'm doing here.

Two years ago I resurfaced my deck, replacing the rotting 1x4 surface with 1x6 cedar. When I bought the wood, the lumberyard guys told me to wait to treat it until the mill-glaze wore off.

So here I am two years later and I'm ready to seal my deck so I start by power washing it like the lumber guys told me to do. All this blackish grey goop came off which I assumed was the remnants of the mill glaze. But now I'm not so sure it wasn't the actual wood surface coming off.

At this point the deck surface is looking blotchy and I'm afraid that if I were to treat this deck in any way, I'd be stuck with a blotchy surface rather than weathering into the really cool soft grey tone of aged cedar.

What did I do wrong and what can I do to get my deck back to the uniform silvery look of aged cedar while protecting it and sealing it for the long term?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What does the surface feel like? If you went crazy with like a 0 degree nozzle you may have damaged the wood fibers, in which case you'd need to sand it. If it feels fuzzy that's probably what happened.

It doesn't look terribly blotchy to me, just that maybe it hasn't dried yet? The black marks around the screws are just corrosion, not sure you used the right screws there.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
The surface is smooth for the most part. There are spots where I got too close to the deck with the nozzle and created some fuzzies, but over all it's smooth.

The photos were taken after drying in the sun for a day so that's the final look of the deck. At this point would you suggest treating the wood with a sealer or would you recommend additional work to clean up the wood more?

(and I'm not sure what happened with the black corrosion. I used coated exterior deck screws but two different types after running out of the first batch.)