Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Saw Mad God last night. Wtf was this movie about???? Which character was the titular "Mad God" (or was it about a world where God had gone mad)? Why did the Assassin have a worm baby inside him? Did the plague doctor work for the Quasimodo guy or the other way around?

I praise the film's technical achievement and striking imagery, but I'll cop to being completely lost as to the symbolism. I mostly watched it as an extended special effects reel.

Also I understand the brutality is the point, but even in a movie about vomit-inducing biological horrors I felt it got pretty gratuitous in places.

I didn't like the inclusion of the live action sequences either. They felt like a cheat and every time the film switched to live action I felt like I was watching some shallow Syfy Channel original movie.

Sorry A Fancy Hat. I didn't like it that much even though I can tell it's really good at whatever it's supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

It's about the cyclical nature of the universe and about brutality and violence within that world. Notice the alchemist character's tiny little colorful world. He introduces violence into it and it degrades into a miniature version of the dark, depressing, post-apocalyptic world around him.

A small cycle of that's presented in the section where the tiny hair monster guys are manning a factory where they're brutally killed in industrial accidents again and again but the machines keep running at the behest of the idiot baby-God on the flying TV screens. Those little guys are made from the literal poo poo of beings from a higher level, forged into human forms, and forced into jobs building things for no apparent reason.

Also it might not be about anything except "look at this cool puppet I made out of dentures".

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I thought the hair monsters were building monoliths to seed new worlds that the alchemist makes out of worm babies?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
So did this guy make the Tool videos or what?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
been meaning to check this out because Tippett, Skinner, et al. but I don't have Shudder. AFH's synopsis might change that.

Vampire Panties posted:

So did this guy make the Tool videos or what?

Tool's guitarist Adam Jones made those videos

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I thought the symbolism behind the colorful world meant that even when we think we're safe and life is good, our lives are still subject to the caprice of random cruelty of powers beyond our control.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

been meaning to check this out because Tippett, Skinner, et al. but I don't have Shudder. AFH's synopsis might change that.

Tool's guitarist Adam Jones made those videos

Apropos of nothing, if I could download a car I would.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I loved this movie but it's not really a movie in the traditional sense. It's like plugging directly into the nightmares of someone who lived through the Cold War and Reagan's Presidency and dreams in stop motion animation.

My wife fell asleep like halfway through and asked me to explain what she missed. I could not, short of saying "yeah they ripped apart the explorer guy and a baby came out and the baby was given to a plague doctor thing that flew away and then two monsters with giant balls fought and the world ended."

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

A Fancy Hat posted:

It's about the cyclical nature of the universe and about brutality and violence within that world. Notice the alchemist character's tiny little colorful world. He introduces violence into it and it degrades into a miniature version of the dark, depressing, post-apocalyptic world around him.

A small cycle of that's presented in the section where the tiny hair monster guys are manning a factory where they're brutally killed in industrial accidents again and again but the machines keep running at the behest of the idiot baby-God on the flying TV screens. Those little guys are made from the literal poo poo of beings from a higher level, forged into human forms, and forced into jobs building things for no apparent reason.

Also it might not be about anything except "look at this cool puppet I made out of dentures".

Yeah I got all that. I thought there must be more to it I'm not getting because if I did I should have liked the movie more.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The worm represented how the assassin thought it was kinda funny, thought it was kinda sad, that the dreams in which he's dying are the best he's ever had. And he finds it hard to tell people, and finds it hard to take, that when people follow cycles it results in a very very mad god

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
*I* named the explorer guy "the Pilgrim." Though I'm given to understand from online commentary that he's "the Assassin."

When the movie first started I thought he was an angel or alien sent from a higher plane to save the cruel world below by blowing it up.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I plan to put this on in the background at my Halloween party this year just to see how people react. I'm also probably just gonna act ignorant, say something like "I dunno, I just put on whatever was on TV" to get unbiased reactions.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Deffo gonna draw on a lot of this stuff for future D&D campaigns.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Mad God by Gary Jules ft. Donnie Darko

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
it was good I enjoyed it.

Like something I would have watched in '93 at the only "art house" cinema in town.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also why do the commentaries of the film speak about the other assassin as if the events the doctors observe are taking place in the present when it's pretty obvious they're looking at an earlier cycle?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Applewhite posted:

Also why do the commentaries of the film speak about the other assassin as if the events the doctors observe are taking place in the present when it's pretty obvious they're looking at an earlier cycle?

I also thought it was an earlier cycle but it seems like the general consensus is it was a 2nd assassin sent down. The movie doesn't really conform to ideas of linear time, I don't know why people get so hung up on this one part and insist it must at this point.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Mad god hates you and will torture you for eternity after you die. No more than us believers though, so you better hold on to your life for as long as you can.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm just saying if they have the power to make new maps all the time they would have sent the first guy down with a new map. It seemed clear (to me anyway) he was the last guy.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

A Fancy Hat posted:

I also thought it was an earlier cycle but it seems like the general consensus is it was a 2nd assassin sent down.

I think the general consensus is wrong.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

I'm just saying if they have the power to make new maps all the time they would have sent the first guy down with a new map. It seemed clear (to me anyway) he was the last guy.

Although this raises the questions: how does the map get back up? And did the first half dozen or so assassins not have maps?

There's several briefcases already in place when the fresh assassin arrives at the gates of the square pit, plus the figure the assassin sees in the window appears to be a fellow assassin (I call that silhouette "the deserter"). This suggests the fresh assassin is not the first in the cycle. However, the new and polished state of his gear, as well as the good repair of his map, suggests the fresh assassin is from an earlier cycle than the assassin who starts the movie, IMO.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
is this a reboot of 'the gods must be crazy'?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Applewhite posted:

A wizard did it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

BigBadSteve posted:

A wizard did it.

A wizard wrote the commentaries?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I really want this on blu ray just for completionisms sake but I had no idea what was going on

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I'm gonna watch this tomorrow morning when my weekend starts, maybe wake up my girlfriend and make her watch it too. She's down to watch poo poo like this.

I love Tippett's work, I love Skinner and followed his work on this movie for a bit, my favorite band is High on Fire, esoteric insanity and auteur poo poo is my thing art-wise, this is all extremely up my alley and has been since I first heard about it.

Will post a trip report.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Noob questions, next

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Noob questions, next

What are your questions

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

It was cool. Don't think about it too hard, you are visiting a hosed up world where things don't make sense to us

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's about society op. If you live in one of those, you might want to take a good look around.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Mad God kicks rear end

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Mad God was a loving masterpiece. Absolutely the kind of movie I love to see people make, a passion project that projects the passion put into it on the audience. Skinner's little blacklight OH NO! scene was fun, too.

La Jetée/12 Monkeys vibes throughout, cinematography and story-wise. Really, really liked all of it.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i wish big dudes getting perpetually shocked in electric chairs would poo poo in MY mouth.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Where does the poop even come from? Do the electrocuted guys get a break from being electrocuted to eat? Is this like a 9-5 job for them?

"What do you do for a living?"

"You know those guys who get electrocuted to poo poo into the mouth of a robot to make those hair people on level five? Yeah that's me."

"Wow! I wish I had that job!"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I feel like the overarching story is just a perpetual reset based on failure of the assassin, as evidenced by Skinner's scene near the end of the movie where the mad god(?) introduces the predators to the OH NOOOOOOOOO guys and it just all goes to poo poo forever. Nothing gets better and the more people interact with it, the worse it gets.

Idk it's a very confusing movie and I'm inclined to agree with Fried Watermelon and Mooey Cow, but I do think the themes are really strong and really well-entrenched.

It's been a long time since I've been moved to pursue stop-motion again, but this movie really lit that fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
I think it's tackling the Problem of Evil in a sort of roundabout way. The inanity of the world, nihilism in contrast with religiosity, and society in general with a broad brush.