Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Today Mulder, Scully, and I are in Russia, which as tradition dictates is a miserable place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I would probably have some idea of what's going on when they talk about surgery and the Smoking Man being involved with that if I remembered more than just the one-off episodes where they came across something weird for the week. I guess I can't necessarily hold that against the game but some kind of explanation would be nice.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also Selenic I hope you’re okay given what’s going on over there the past few days :ohdear:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Kibayasu posted:

Also Selenic I hope you’re okay given what’s going on over there the past few days :ohdear:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Is a guy escaping into a closet literally the only highlight of Scully's entire campaign?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tommy Tallarico is a bit more infamous these days - he's the one who's been trying to make that Intellivision console for years now. How anyone involved doesn't think that thing is destined for inevitable failure escapes me. But then again games like this get released too so :shrug:

I don't think I've ever seen a game just not even imply the final level is about to explode after the final boss. No screen shaking, no rumbling, no ominous final words from the boss. Especially since its Scully saying they have to run when things are blowing up from where Mulder came from.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Man. Tie-in game, don't even pretend you're going to give your characters the answer to the entire premise of the show you're tying into. It's obviously not going to happen and it's pretty bad storytelling even if it were remotely plausible.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I agree that this game would be great if it had had the The Deadly Tower of Monsters treatment.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Gulag intensifies.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
The biggest plot twist so far: the thread title was unintentional

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

EasilyConfused posted:

Never thought I could do something like this in this thread ;)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

EasilyConfused posted:

I was also expecting something like a typo somewhere.

Anyways I guess its appropriate that Scully doesn't try to stop Mulder from leaving just before the closet and bomb cutscenes. In another game that might have been an interesting choice.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Come see Mulder punch an old man for five minutes :toot:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm sad that they didn't go all out and have Mulder fist fight the smoking man like Ezio fights in the Pope in AC2.

The problem specifically with Resist or Serve is that they were likely already too far into making a Resident Evil clone and once you're making that you need a few dozen enemies to shoot and I guess someone cared about the plausibility of that if it didn't involve the "greater" canon of the show. The game is already really stretching with the entire town in the first act burning down and there needing to be an "official" response. As mentioned the one offs were usually about relatively unimportant places and people. You could definitely make a horror game about (to list a few of the episodes I remember) a family of literally inbred hicks, or about avoiding flesh eating (or whatever they were) ancient insects in a forest who are repelled by light, or killer cockroaches (via cigarettes) or a sasquatch. I think I remember zombies actually showing up in an episode but only like 3 or 4 of them.

Making a game about something like those concepts would probably require a completely different foundation.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Even the storyboards go from super detailed to "camera zooms in on Mulder's face."

sockgarters
Dec 29, 2013

Those storyboards make the game worth it. The various artists styles are great, especially the abrupt shifts in detail.

To this:

Hello

More acting in these "Mulder" sketches than in Duchovny's performance.

No good sketches of Skinner, who I like best, not because I watched the show (2-3 eps maybe?) but because he narrated the "Magic's Biggest Secrets Finally Revealed" series.
After that "Succubus" tidbit I hoped to find a clip... sadly no luck. Did see Skinner in his tighty-whiteys, so that was worth it.
And why was the game missing a scene of Scully AND Mulder AND Skinner in their respective bubble baths?
(Boy, the series got really Fan-Servicey at times, huh?)

Thanks for the LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I know its storyboards so it doesn't matter but I have to wonder if there was ever a meeting where the person who did those detailed, shaded, and moody drawings ever had them up on the wall next to the guy who did the My First Webcomic drawings.

Did the bounty hunter actually show up in this game or is he only mentioned because of the stiletto? Even with PS2 model work I hope I would have recognized Brian Thompson's spectacular mug.