Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i was thinking a lot just now about how we treat crazy people, especially schizo-affective people. and maybe it's not the best thing to say "you're broken, let's fix you so you can stop being wrong and bad", maybe society has had more time to figure this stuff out than medicine and the better thing is to do what we used to, which is to tell extremely crazy people "hey, you're special. you've got a gift. you don't need to work or hunt or "interact" with people. here's your own tent, you can hang up all the weird poo poo you want, you can smoke as much weed and eat as many mushrooms as you want - in fact, we insist"

you know, because both of those approaches, speaking in broad strokes here, they're both just isolating the person to minimize theyre "damage", but the latter way is also about maximize their own personal happiness while giving them some way to contribute

having gotten away, finally, from my latest crazy neighbor who would scream things all the time, you know, he and people like him are already isolated. why not tell them that being the way they are is... "okay"? and try to figure out how they can live with their "disability"?

what i'm saying is, when someone is born without legs, we don't tell them to grow new legs. we put them in a comfortable wheelchair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i would tell someone born with no legs to grow new legs

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
if i had no legs id just take your legs

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just lol, lmao, that you think a society should take care of its vulnerable members

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
I have no legs, and I must post

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Legs is an integer attribute that defines the amount of legs heroes have. This attribute has no gameplay impact.

Note that this attribute is a value set individually for each hero within the game files, and is not based on the actual model of the hero.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
My own personal opinion is it's kind of hard to convince crazy people to get treatment when almost half the population seems hellbent on burning the world down because rich people don't want to pay taxes.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

op wishes not only to legitimize his own isolated existence of non-contributing hedonism, but to insist that others both approve and abet his squalid abstention from responsibility

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

search engine posted:

op wishes not only to legitimize his own isolated existence of non-contributing hedonism, but to insist that others both approve and abet his squalid abstention from responsibility

I both approve and abet.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Monestaries seemed like nice places. You just fart off and make wine and transcribe God's Word and make drawings in the margins. You get lonely, you go across the street to the Convent and party with the nuns. There are no other buildings and you live on a remote mountain. Once every two years the bishop visits.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Your rear end is grass!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Analytic Engine posted:

I have no legs, and I must post

I have no semen, and I am a Demon

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Idgi op, who stopped you from camping in a national park? Are there some laws against it?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

oh-oh-oh Crazy! But it feels alright.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You don't have to be crazy to post here... But it helps :twisted:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

OP is constantly posting about how they deal with "crazy" people all the time and is always the victim of some other "crazy" person, very intriguing.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

wow, deep. really makes u think

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

this random poster on gbs has cracked the code everybody. let’s set up a jira epic to inform mental health carers that it’s time to wrap it up, they’ve been wrong this whole time

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
you dont have to be crazy to post here ...

BUT IT HELPS!!!! XD

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Gentle Autist posted:

wow, deep. really makes u think

thank u, gentle autist

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
sorry the last good crazy person was philip k dick aka horse lover fat

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So, we fix society by turning serious medical issues into talent? We sort of just, incubate their talent, in back alley tents, until they make something marketable? Like sort of concentrate them in.. a camp. :hitler:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

precision posted:

i was thinking a lot just now about how we treat crazy people, especially schizo-affective people. and maybe it's not the best thing to say "you're broken, let's fix you so you can stop being wrong and bad", maybe society has had more time to figure this stuff out than medicine and the better thing is to do what we used to, which is to tell extremely crazy people "hey, you're special. you've got a gift. you don't need to work or hunt or "interact" with people. here's your own tent, you can hang up all the weird poo poo you want, you can smoke as much weed and eat as many mushrooms as you want - in fact, we insist"

you know, because both of those approaches, speaking in broad strokes here, they're both just isolating the person to minimize theyre "damage", but the latter way is also about maximize their own personal happiness while giving them some way to contribute

having gotten away, finally, from my latest crazy neighbor who would scream things all the time, you know, he and people like him are already isolated. why not tell them that being the way they are is... "okay"? and try to figure out how they can live with their "disability"?

what i'm saying is, when someone is born without legs, we don't tell them to grow new legs. we put them in a comfortable wheelchair
This is all fine, but you're gonna need to tighten it up to get it to fit on a shirt.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

FunkyAl posted:

Monestaries seemed like nice places. You just fart off and make wine and transcribe God's Word and make drawings in the margins. You get lonely, you go across the street to the Convent and party with the nuns. There are no other buildings and you live on a remote mountain. Once every two years the bishop visits.

Yeah it was a great place for rich people to put their failsons/daughters who ain't gonna be inheriting nothing. Kinda like law school

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Where does this idea that we used to treat crazy people well come from? I've heard it a couple of times recently and it's one of those *citation needed ideas about history.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Where does this idea that we used to treat crazy people well come from? I've heard it a couple of times recently and it's one of those *citation needed ideas about history.

It comes from me. I made it up for my Canterbury Tales fanfiction. Sorry for everything

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I forgive you but this is the last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Clinically insane people are the best artists, drivers and lovers