Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

When I think of my favourite things about Summer, my mind instantly leaps to one thing: barbecuing in the sunshine, holding a cold beer while the children play in the garden. So when this challenge came up, I wanted to cook as much as possible outside on the grill. Aside from the aperitif, which is a true British Summer classic, every course involves cooking over charcoal…

Aperitif: Summer Cup

Soup: Gazpacho

Starter: Halloumi on a roasted vegetable tian

Fish: Salmon, asparagus and fennel purée

Palate cleanser: Pineapple mint julep

Entrée: Beef with roast potatoes and corn salsa

Dessert: Peach Eton mess

Normally, when I barbecue, I get things onto the table as they are cooked, and let everyone help themselves. This time, I decided to see if I could make things look fancy. So I warned my friends that they would be my guinea pigs, and they traipsed all the way from North London down to our side of the river, and we had a lovely afternoon of feasting.

A lot of the prep work was done in advance, so on the day itself I got to spend a lot of time with my friends and making faces at their one-year-old…

It started with a drink:

250g sugar
Cucumber
Lemongrass
Mint
300ml gin
200ml red vermouth
100ml triple sec
1 tbsp Aperol (Campari works better, but it was out of stock)
4 lemons
170g honey

Begin by making the syrup: mix 250g sugar with 250ml water, simmer with cucumber, smashed lemongrass and mint for 5m

Remove the pan from the heat and set aside for 2h

Strain and decant into a bottle, and put in the fridge until you need it

Mix together the booze and syrup with some sliced strawberries, cucumber and mint and set aside

While everything is infusing, make lemonade: mix the honey and lemon and add fizzy water

You want about 1 part liquor to 2 parts lemonade

I made three Summer cups, and three lemonades with fruit in them for my kids and the pregnant guest

These were phenomenal. Just incredibly delicious and refreshing and a perfect way to start the meal. Ideally, we should have been drinking them by the river, while eights rowed past shouting at each other, but my back garden was a close second.

Suitably lubricated, we moved to a bit of soup. Now, a hot Summer’s day is not the time for piping hot soup, so instead we had gazpacho.

1kg tomatoes, halved
1 cucumber, deseeded
1 onion, peeled and halved
2 cloves of garlic, minced
30ml extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
Juice of 1 lemon
A handful of basil

Time to light the fire! When barbecuing, it is often tempting to accelerate things with firelighters or lighter fluid, but do not do this. Your food will taste worse for it. Barbecuing should be a slow process, it should be a treat, the process is part of the fun. I get the kids to gather dry twigs from the garden, and build a little pyramid of twigs over the tinder.

Once lit, the twigs catch and the fire gets going

There is a scary moment when doing this, when you worry that you’re putting the fire out by putting too much charcoal on it, but if you fan the flames and have faith, it will work

Now, because we were cooking for the whole day, we wanted lots of coals

Once the coals were ashed over, it was ready to go

I left the tomatoes and cucumber on the barbecue for a reasonable length of time to get a decent char on everything

Once everything was cooked, I blended it up and pushed it through a sieve

I put the soup in the freezer to get it cold, and then moved it the fridge before it became a sorbet (which I wish I had thought of as a course)

I got my lovely fancy teacups out, and because I only have five and there were six diners, my daughter had to have one from her toy tea set

Once the soup is in the cups, a little garnish of finely diced cucumber and tomato

Again, this was amazing. Delicious, refreshing, perfect on a hot summer day. I have always felt faintly dubious about chilled soup, and then when I have it, I remember why I love it. The basil flavour really came through, and I had enough leftover to have a pint of it for lunch.

Done with our soup, we moved to the starter.

Courgettes
Aubergines
Red peppers
Mushrooms
Sweet potato

I used to think that a barbecue should only consist of meat, and I have relatively recently started doing more vegetables than meat. And most guest sort of sneer at first, and then once we sit down to eat, they are converted!

I started by roasting all the vegetables. I tossed everything in a little oil and herbes de provence, except the mushrooms, which I smeared with garlic butter

Once everything was roasted, I started layering the vegetables into a dish

Peppers first

Then, aubergines

Followed by courgettes

And the sweet potatoes

Finishing with the mushrooms

At this stage, this layered vegetable dish would probably be quite nice, but remember, we are trying to elevate

I grabbed a book about chickens, which I wrapped in foil

I put a layer of foil down on top of the tian, and then the book. Then another book.

Finally, I put down the biggest, heaviest set of books I have

This pressed out lots of liquid and compressed the vegetables. Every so often, I would drain off the liquid, and put the books back on

Once it was done, I turned it out onto a chopping board

I trimmed the edges off the tian and saved the scraps for pasta sauce

I looked up to my kitchen window and spotted the basil

What an idea!

Basil
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Garlic

I ground up the ingredients with a pestle and mortar, and then mixed with the oil

Finally, I grilled the halloumi

Once done, I began plating by smearing a little basil oil onto the plates

Then a small cube of tian

Then a piece of grilled halloumi

Another great dish. The vegetables were really amazing, and everyone loves halloumi. The basil oil was really punchy, and worked well with the other flavours. My children liked taking the layers apart and finding each vegetable individually, but I preferred to put everything on a fork and shovel into my gaping maw.

Even the one year old liked it!

We were starting to get a bit full at this point, but the kids love salmon, so demanded I push on

I started out by making the fennel purée

4 fennel bulbs
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
A small glug of vermouth
150ml double cream
Juice of 1 lemon
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

I cut the fennel in half and roasted on the barbecue

Once it was roasted, I chucked it into a bowl with the roasted onion and other ingredients

Here was the first snag: when I started blending this, I discovered that I had nowhere near enough liquid. So I had to add a lot more liquid, and simmered for a while in a large pan in the oven until the fennel softened a bit more and would actually blend.

Eventually, I got there and we had a thick purée

Once done, I salted and oiled six salmon fillets

I barbecued the salmon along with the asparagus, until the skin was crispy and delicious

I also made hollandaise

4 egg yolks, from my lovely chickens
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
140g butter, melted and cooled
2 tbsp lemon juice
Tarragon
Capers

Hollandaise can be a bit tricky, but there is a foolproof method to get it right every time.

SOUS VIDE

I whisked the butter, lemon juice, vinegar and egg yolks together and transferred to a ziplock bag, which I then vacuum sealed

This then went into my jury-rigged sous vide set up at 75C for about 45m (anywhere between 30 and 60m is fine)

The first time I tried this, the next step made me really sad, I was convinced it had gone wrong and that my temperatures were off, because it comes out looking really bad

However, when you whisk this mixture, it starts to smooth out

I put this in the fridge for a bit, and then whisked again, and stirred in the tarragon and capers

I started off by putting a dollop of fennel on the plate, with some asparagus spears

Then a smear of hollandaise, and the salmon

And finally, a sprinkle of the fennel fronds saved from earlier

Another great course. The salmon was perfectly cooked, flaky but firm, it went great with the fennel, and the hollandaise was beautiful. I regularly cook salmon on the barbecue, and it’s always wonderful

At this point, the kids were full, and went off to play, so we had a little palate cleanser

A medium pineapple
Bourbon
Mint
100g sugar

Peel and slice the pineapple, and roast on the barbecue until charred

I chopped the roasted pineapple into chunks, and put into a pan with the sugar and 120ml of water, which I simmered until the sugar had dissolved, took off the heat and left to infuse for 2h

Once the syrup was cool, I chucked it into a big jar, with huge quantities of mint leaves and the bourbon, saving the pineapple chunks for a garnish

This was left for a few days to infuse

What you are supposed to do is fill your julep cups with crushed ice. Unfortunately for me, the children had decided to use most of the ice in drinks without checking whether I needed it, so I didn’t have enough ice

I added a sprig of mint and a couple of chunks of grilled pineapple

Now, this was not quite as successful as the other elements of the meal. It was VERY strong, and the flavour of the pineapple was very subtle to the point of being difficult to detect. Once the ice had melted a little bit in the sun, it was a lot better, and the flavour of the pineapple started to come through, but this was not as good as juleps I’ve made in the past…

Palates cleansed, we move to the main course!

Beef top rump
Garlic powder
Smoked paprika
Cumin
Salt
Pepper

I mixed the spices and rubbed into the beef

This was vacuum sealed, and put in the sous vide at 52C for 3h

Meanwhile, I made some salsa

Corn
Tomatoes
Spring onions
Garlic
Lime
Coriander

I roasted the corn on the barbecue (at the same time as I was roasting some peaches for later)

Once the corn had charred a little, I took a sharp knife and got the corn off the cobs

I deseeded all the tomatoes, which was a massive pain in the arse

And mixed with the other chopped ingredients. At this stage, I didn’t add the corn, because my long-suffering wife doesn’t like corn (my first ICSA being Battle: Corn was a real test of our marriage), so I could plate hers with regular salsa and then stir in the corn

I also parboiled some new potatoes for 5m and tossed in cumin seeds and oil, and put into a little foil package

I also put some great thick tranches of onion on skewers so I could roast them

This now became a real test of heat management: I had three elements that were being barbecued at the same time, the beef needed screaming heat, the onions needed a bit of a char and the potatoes needed constant but medium heat. So I banked the coals to one side of the barbecue to make one side mega hot, and the other side indirectly heated only

The foil package of potatoes went directly into the barbecue, and while the onions cooked, I turned the beef every so often to get it nice and mallarded

Once good and browned, it was time to slice it up

I plated by putting on the potatoes first

Then a little crescent of salsa

The onions went on the potatoes, and the beef onto the salsa

Delicious! The corn salsa worked amazingly well with the beef, sweet and acid against the rich and spicy beef, the potatoes were nice and the onion complemented the whole dish. If I were doing this again, I might use a different cut of beef, the top rump has a blade of tough fat running through it that required a little bit of work from my guest to cut through, and although it tasted really nice, you don’t really want that. But otherwise, a very successful course.

Strangely, my kids were not too full for the next course.

Peaches
Lemon juice
600ml double cream
4 egg whites, from my lovely chickens
200g sugar

First, I made meringue. I love making meringue, it appeals to the scientist in me, the completely transformative way that proteins work… I digress.

Beat the whites into soft peaks

Then, whisking slowly, add the sugar a tablespoon at a time until the mixture is silky smooth

This was then spooned out onto baking trays lined with paper, and baked at 140C for 1h

The trick with meringue is to let it cool in the oven: once the time is up, just turn the oven off and let the meringues cool down gradually. This gives them that slightly chewy centre which is just great

Remember these peaches from earlier?

Once they were done, I put them into a large bowl with a tight lid, so that the heat and steam would loosen the skins

I removed the biggest bits of skin and some of the char, you want a little bit of it, but you don’t want the whole flavour to be off ashes and dust

Then I cut the peach halves into chunks and put into martini glasses

I whipped the cream and crumbled a little of the meringue into it, and then added this

I then topped each one with a meringue

My daughter decided that she wanted a little umbrella in hers

And then out they went!

This was great. I make this all the time: a few years ago, I was trying to work out what pudding to make when we had barbecues, and we tried quite a few different things. Grilled pineapple was good, grilled melon was not, but eventually we tried grilled peaches and I made eton mess. It was so popular with the kids that they now refuse to countenance any other pudding when we barbecue, and even go so far as to refuse barbecued peach pavlova (which, to my mind, is essentially a layered eton mess). Anyway, it was really good, and putting the whole meringue on top made it extra fun, because everyone crumbled it up themselves and it became a bit interactive, which is something I do like to do every so often…

The verdict from my guests was that this whole meal was a triumph. They did agree that the mint julep could have been better, but other than that, we were all well fed and very satisfied. And slightly drunk, which made us all the more glad that London has such good public transport...

And once the guests had gone, the children were in bed and the house was tidied, my wife and I indulged in a summer cup royale, made with prosecco instead of lemonade.

And it was ridiculously drinkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Looks great sci! Managing multiple elements requiring different heat on the same grill is always a challenge and it looks like you nailed it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

A wonderful entry as usual, I love the thought and technique you put into your meal. The note on veggies is especially interesting, I'm from the classic American bbq tradition that is pretty much just meat with a grudging admission of bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms in a kebab, so I could stand to use more as well.

That summer cup has intrigued me, I may have to make it for some friends. I usually do planter's punch (dark rum, cane syrup, fresh lime juice, and a couple dashes of aromatic or orange bitters served over ice) for a summer apertif.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 10, 2022

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Show us the chickens!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Here they are trying to come into the house

From top to bottom

Norbert Nugget the 2nd, my son’s Sussex legbar, who lays medium white eggs

Falcon Chicken, my daughter’s brahma, who mostly broods and honks, occasionally laying large tan eggs

Sarah M’shell Gellar, our warren, who lays quite small brown eggs

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Your posts always rule. Gonna have to attempt a tian sooner than later. And get more booze.