Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

The Wandering Mage posted:

No, the same rhythmic vibration has continued during your climb.
I keep going, link by link, until I'm through the hole—almost crawling vertically with how tight it is.

Can I see any sign of light above? Anyone should answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

UnCO3 posted:

I keep going, link by link, until I'm through the hole—almost crawling vertically with how tight it is.

Can I see any sign of light above? Anyone should answer.

The harsh glow of artificial lights, blotted out occasionally as something unknown passes by.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Bussamove posted:

The harsh glow of artificial lights, blotted out occasionally as something unknown passes by.
Either this place was always awake, just under the skin, or I've raised it from the dead. Either way, I'm getting close to the top.

What do I see periodically crossing the hole, blocking the light? Anyone should answer.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.

UnCO3 posted:

What do I see periodically crossing the hole, blocking the light?

You see the blades of a massive, slowly-rotating fan.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

PepperedMoth posted:

You see the blades of a massive, slowly-rotating fan.
I follow the chain right to the end of the tunnel, where it abruptly turns and runs along the floor of this new chamber before disappearing into another hole.

Can I see any other way out of this room? Anyone should answer.

How far above me is the fan? Anyone should answer.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

UnCO3 posted:

How far above me is the fan? Anyone should answer.
Too close for comfort. Another foot taller and you'd get a free haircut.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

UnCO3 posted:

Can I see any other way out of this room? Anyone should answer.

No, but the fan is rotating slowly enough that you might be able to get through between the blades if you're deft.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Bad Seafood posted:

Too close for comfort. Another foot taller and you'd get a free haircut.

Kenning posted:

No, but the fan is rotating slowly enough that you might be able to get through between the blades if you're deft.
I may be stalwart in battle, but I'm not agile enough to reckon I could make it between those blades. That leaves me in quite a predicament. There's the hole below me, and far below there's the tunnel with the echo of water, which I also reckon to be a poor choice...

Now that I'm under the light, I take another look at the device I took from the room below. Perhaps this place's own creations will help me to escape it.

What does the device look like? Anyone should answer.

For this one, feel free to use an image.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
No gods watch over you.

The Wandering Mage
Jul 22, 2010

UnCO3 posted:

What does the device look like? Anyone should answer.

For this one, feel free to use an image.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
I poke and prod the inscrutable orb while slowly pacing the edge of the chamber. Maybe if I press the right part, something will happen... something that will make its function clear.

Does the device react to my investigation? Anyone should answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

UnCO3 posted:

Does the device react to my investigation? Anyone should answer.
The orb vibrates as you pass your thumb over a patch of reddish metal and a strange, tinny voice emits from a speaker that seems somehow to be between your ears.

TRISTAR REMEDIAL MARK IV REPLOYER ONLINE… SET REFERENCE LEVEL… ERROR CODE WILD-BURSTING-RHYTHM. REFERENCE LEVEL LOADING NOT READY… ADJUSTING REFERENCE LEVEL… ERROR RESOLVED.

Good morning, doctor TOKEN. Your test is ready to proceed. Please submit to plasmatic decant for lock disengagement.

A slight hiss sounds as a finger-width depression draws inward on the surface of the orb.