Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Not really. My husband has HIV and was working as a lab supervisor at a hospital during the pandemic. He has also been very good about managing it, so he's not really immunocompromised and 8s currently "undetectable", meaning his viral load is so low that a test wouldn't pick up the HIV infection and, more importantly, can't spread it.

It sucks to live with. You gotta take a lot of pills all the time and it's like 2000 bux a month without insurance, unless you have access to a public program that will cover you (those were a life saver for us).

From what I can tell those meds suck to take and the whole thing tends to drive up cholesterol, so now we gotta switch to vegetarian foods to get it under control. Like cooking and eating around that diet, but I would feel a lot differently if it was something I had to do.

Worst bit is the stigma. I'm just the spouse so I only got a taste of it, but you can't bring this up without people taking it as an invitation to ask all kinds of personal questions. Like my husband is an incredible guy, the sort who rose above and broke out of generational poverty and abuse, survived horrific homophobia, beat an HIV diagnosis and a meth addiction to go on and run a hospital lab during a pandemic. He's got some stories and all of them are more interesting than "I had a fail Aids Grindr hookup"

Good on your husband for rising up and not letting it affect his life. Also coming from generational poverty to running a hospital lab, which, holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

did any goons catch it from a needle hidden in a pay phone coin return slot or hidden in the skin of an apple or one of those other wild non-sex and non-shooting up ways parents warned their kids about in the 90s?

i got it from readiong and posting on the something awful forums lmfoa

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

classic easy layup on an all time favourite joke :swish:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I got stopped at a gas station and told there was hidden aids on my back seat

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Bad Purchase posted:

did any goons catch it from a needle hidden in a pay phone coin return slot or hidden in the skin of an apple or one of those other wild non-sex and non-shooting up ways parents warned their kids about in the 90s?

poo poo I remember being a kid in the 90’s and always very cautiously stinking my finger in the pay phone slot. Crazy how fast that stupid myth spread around.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

poo poo I remember being a kid in the 90’s and always very cautiously stinking my finger in the pay phone slot. Crazy how fast that stupid myth spread around.

lol you wrote stinking your finger

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

hehe that's not the right slot for that

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Sid Vicious posted:

lol you wrote stinking your finger

;)

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

hehe that's not the right slot for that

:D

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Phone slots??
Everyone here is secretly around my age AND TOO SCARED TO SAY IT

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The majority of goons are old millennials and we experienced much of the same poo poo old gen xers did lol

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Look at op going Diane Sawyer on us

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Walker told me I have aids.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

chainchompz posted:

I know someone who killed themselves over it. It's only manageable if you have/can afford healthcare.

In the U.S. that's a very big if. And some (all?) of the drugs used for treatment are extremely expensive, and have serious side effects. There is no cure.

Too many clowns, including goon clowns, do not consider the above, or are in denial about it, just because they like sticking their dick unprotected into orifices they don't know the sexual etc. history of. Or getting unsafely dicked, as the case may be.

You get used to condoms.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 11, 2022

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I have a conspiracy theory Arthur Ashe didnt get aids from a blood transfusion

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I have a conspiracy theory Arthur Ashe didnt get aids from a blood transfusion

He got it from Isaac Asimov imo

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

in school we watched a movie about that kid that got aids from a transfusion and at some point other kids were making fun of him by going "sailor! sailor! sailor!" and the teacher had to pause the movie to explain that they were calling him gay because no one understood what it meant

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

in school we watched a movie about that kid that got aids from a transfusion and at some point other kids were making fun of him by going "sailor! sailor! sailor!" and the teacher had to pause the movie to explain that they were calling him gay because no one understood what it meant

lmao

I mean that's lovely but also lol at the teacher explaining old rear end slurs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

roughly how many times was the word "seaman" used in this explanation?