Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So, Salman Rushdie was recently attacked on stage. He has a fatwa issued against him, which seems to be a religious death sentence asking true believers to make it happen. This seems to stem from his novel, the Satanic Verses, having anti-Muslim content. However, I can’t find any details on what exactly this content is or why it’s worth a decades long fatwa. I haven’t read the novel, but I’m also not that familiar with the particulars of Islam. Does anyone know why it is such a controversial novel and is willing to explain it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I don't know, but I'm also not willing to explain op

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Too slow OP https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4009794

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

he made a deal with al-shaytan OP

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I just want to know what the gently caress he said that people are so mad about and the news is so loving bad about just explaining this!

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
in the satanic verses mohammad is dictating the quran and the guy he's dictating it to keeps falling asleep while mohammad is talking and makes stuff up to fill in the gaps lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fr0id posted:

I just want to know what the gently caress he said that people are so mad about and the news is so loving bad about just explaining this!

Good news, Wikipedia has a whole page on the Satanic Verses controversy that will explain it, kind of.

TL;DR version is just religious people are mad at anyone who doesn't respect their beliefs to the same standards they do.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

fr0id posted:

Cancelled for not liking the band Rush.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Would not go out on a date with the Khomeini.

Weka
May 5, 2019

The fatwah was just a marketing gimmick cooked up by his publisher.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Smoked all the weed at the party.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I dunno what's a fatwah with you?

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

His name accurately depicts the life cycle of a salmon

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

dang, if the berlin wall were falling down again and the simpsons were still funny it would be like I was in 5th grade again

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/lhkuroda/status/1558199473205026823

Weka
May 5, 2019

The fatwah was put out to stop him killing translators.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i can only imagine the assailant was in a frenzy over shalimar the clown's cliffhanger ending and rushdie's flacking for the iraq war, op

Weka
May 5, 2019

The last page of the book is just goatse.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
they were gonna put a thinwa on rushdie, but it turns out that all the skinny ones were busy so what are you gonna do?

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I vaguely remember reading The Satantic Verses in high school it was not good and definitely not worth getting murdered over.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That's why the fatwa was issued, because the writing was, to quote Khomeini, "kinda meh".

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
It's called "punching up" OP, maybe learn something so you don't look silly

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
how about less fatwa, more funwaa

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
It’s not my job to educate you on why there is a fatwa on Salman Rushdie.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
big dicks fatwallets, story as old as time

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

War and Pieces posted:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Boring writer with a hot wife, that’s why.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Turtle Watch posted:

It’s not my job to educate you on why there is a fatwa on Salman Rushdie.

it’s literally why we hired you

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

War and Pieces posted:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

christmas boots posted:

it’s literally why we hired you

Typical lazy millennial .

Weka
May 5, 2019

There should be a fatwah on millenials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
not my joblem