Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Heading south of the border next month, to Miami Beach specifically. I've never been to the US aside from a day trip to Michigan as a child while visiting family in Ontario.

Its our honeymoon, actually. Wife wanted to do another all inclusive in the Dominican or similar, I couldn't be bothered with doing that again. Her requirement was a beach to lie on so we settled on Florida due to proximity and price.

We're pretty much wide open, really. Obviously going to have a couple of nice dinners but right now our main goal is relaxation. Assuming Air Canada delivers on our flights, and we're not caught up in the impending civil war once we arrive, what should we be on the lookout for? Whats good, whats bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

codo27 posted:

Heading south of the border next month, to Miami Beach specifically. I've never been to the US aside from a day trip to Michigan as a child while visiting family in Ontario.

Its our honeymoon, actually. Wife wanted to do another all inclusive in the Dominican or similar, I couldn't be bothered with doing that again. Her requirement was a beach to lie on so we settled on Florida due to proximity and price.

We're pretty much wide open, really. Obviously going to have a couple of nice dinners but right now our main goal is relaxation. Assuming Air Canada delivers on our flights, and we're not caught up in the impending civil war once we arrive, what should we be on the lookout for? Whats good, whats bad?

Assuming you have a car:
Fairchild Botanical Gardens and Vizcaya are nice places to experience carefully-controlled nature. For Florida wildlife, drive west on highway 41 and visit Shark Valley (get there early if you want to rent a bike) and various pullouts along in Big Cypress. You can do a nice boat tour in Everglades City/Chokoloskee. I didn't think driving out to Flamingo was really worth it but it could be worth visiting if you want to do a longer hike.

The Fort Lauderdale water taxi is basically a tour of fancy houses and yachts that happens to be a way to get from downtown to the beach. If you're staying at Miami Beach there's not really a big reason to go up there, though.

Wynwood is gentrified now but the street art is worth seeing and the gentrification means a lot more shade and indoor options than 10 years ago.

The most scenic stretch of the Keys is the middle part around Islamorada. Marathon is the kitschy old-school vacation area. Key West is at least an overnight trip but keep in mind that a lot of places have 2-3 night minimum stay requirements.

Without a car, do an art deco walking tour and try to take some time to stroll around the side streets like Espanola.

My restaurant suggestions are out of date but there are a lot of good places in Miami Beach. A surprising number of New York City restaurants have locations in the area. Cuban food is better on in Miami and the western suburbs in particular have a lot of great options from Central and South America.