Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

little munchkin posted:

pressure point also matches up really poorly vs artifact or bosses with a cleanse effect or second stage or whatever. as you climb ascension levels then you're taking more and more chip damage getting your engine set up. I don't think I ever take it

That’s true but also true of something like a poison deck which relies on single burns like catalyst a lot.

My strongest PP deck had three copies and then perseverance and two upgraded protects. Once I got the “retained cards cost one less energy this combat” I steamrolled. With free big block cards very turn as well as retain making me unworried about drawing. Then could just ramp up PP super fast. Donu and Decu are tough initially so thankfully I had a relic that inflicted vulnerable first turn to peel a layer each. One small benefit is marking an enemy with artefact still triggers it on marked enemies.

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The big differences with poison are that the poison goes off each turn even if you don’t draw and spend energy on the card again, and that silent has much bigger access to draw.

Pressure points in the silent deck would be a much better card just because you have acrobatics and prepared + and backflip to hit it more often

Which isn’t to say you can’t win with it, especially at low ascensions

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
for poison you also have relics that interact with it positively and also if we can use pp being a common as a key benefit, catalyst is an uncommon and maybe one of the best uncommons in the game. the damage it adds is nutty and runs that have any reasonable amount of poison and then find one have solved damage for the rest of the run essentially. pp is fine and it makes a lot of sense to hunt for it for those achievement runs but its a card where as you go up in ascension it becomes nearly unplayable. its just so dogshit in higher ascensions its unreal.

Kagaya Homoraisan fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 20, 2023

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

for poison you also have relics that interact with it positively and also if we can use pp being a common as a key benefit, catalyst is an uncommon and maybe one of the best uncommons in the game. the damage it adds is nutty and runs that have any reasonable amount of poison and then find one have solved damage for the rest of the run essentially. pp is fine and it makes a lot of sense to hunt for it for those achievement runs but its a card where as you go up in ascension it becomes nearly unplayable. its just so dogshit in higher ascensions its unreal.

Catalysts are nice but for a double phase like the awakened one or donu and decu you need to rely on multiple catalysts or nightmare. Also just for a lot of hard encounters like the triple jaw worm in Act 3 or any of the Act 2 Elites.

Also basically everything other than a few options are dogshit in higher ascendeds imo. My biggest dislike of Ascended tiers is how many options get sealed off from being effective. The game is probably most fun to me on early tiers where a bunch of stuff is fun and viable. I don't play the defect anymore because frost is just too much better and more reliable than anything else he has. And those poison relics are nice but I very very rarely see the specimen head for example and any time I do it costs 350 gold or something and is offered in the very first shop. there are other nice poison relics but none are super game changers like that imo.

AdmiralViscen posted:

The big differences with poison are that the poison goes off each turn even if you don’t draw and spend energy on the card again, and that silent has much bigger access to draw.

Pressure points in the silent deck would be a much better card just because you have acrobatics and prepared + and backflip to hit it more often

Which isn’t to say you can’t win with it, especially at low ascensions

That's true though you get a nice stack on every application of PP. Like if they're on 55 and you use three next turn you've done 66 + 77 + 88 damage which isn't bad at all. I don't think PP is the be all end all but I did overlook it initially and it's pretty strong in early A runs for sure imo.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

got the "Chanel 9 Plasma in a turn" trophy easier than expected. First run saw nothing for it. Second run took the "Choose a rare card and receive a curse" and was able to pick Meteor Strike. Then ended up with an attack potion and two duplicate potions shortly after in an elite combat. Played the attack card and got another Meteor Strike. Used a duplication potion and played it. Then was able to play my normal copy of (which I also duplicated to be safe). Thank god. Was expecting to have to do multiple near full runs to orchestrate a deck to do it.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Catalysts are nice but for a double phase like the awakened one or donu and decu you need to rely on multiple catalysts or nightmare. Also just for a lot of hard encounters like the triple jaw worm in Act 3 or any of the Act 2 Elites.
imo.

Use corpse explosion for fights like donu/decu or triple jaw worm, its usually a good pick with or without any other poison in your deck.

The thing with high ascension is that closing off avenues makes the game more interesting overall. You can't always come in planning to build a specific type of deck because the early game is so much deadlier, you have to keep a much more open mind and figure out how to make the magic happen with whatever crap you've been offered, so in practice you'll end up playing a wider variety of decks.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

P-Mack posted:

Use corpse explosion for fights like donu/decu or triple jaw worm, its usually a good pick with or without any other poison in your deck.

The thing with high ascension is that closing off avenues makes the game more interesting overall. You can't always come in planning to build a specific type of deck because the early game is so much deadlier, you have to keep a much more open mind and figure out how to make the magic happen with whatever crap you've been offered, so in practice you'll end up playing a wider variety of decks.

For sure I’ll take corpse explosion any time it’s there but it isn’t always. It’s really nice on any deck.

I’m pretty weak at the game still despite playing like 200 hours now and A9 being my highest. I find I mostly need a deck to come together in act 1 and if it hasn’t that run will probably fail. On runs where I’m unlocking the tiers I’m on now I mean. Or by come together I mean like start having a shape. Nothing worse than taking like a catalyst and a poison card in your first two encounters then the game giving you nothing but shiv relic and card choices for the rest of the run lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Corrupt Heart beaten on The Watcher finally. Got an infinite deck going and had two copies of scrawl which got me over the initial set-up and then the status card stuffing. Was absurdly stressed waiting for my fourth or fifth turn to see if I could go infinite without either scrawl to finish it off and thank god I could. Using the one cost calm card that draws other cards was able to fully fill my hand after Void and Dazed disintegrated on the previous turn. That's all of those trophies done so don't think I'll aim for the Heart again, not a huge fan of it.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

For sure I’ll take corpse explosion any time it’s there but it isn’t always. It’s really nice on any deck.

I’m pretty weak at the game still despite playing like 200 hours now and A9 being my highest. I find I mostly need a deck to come together in act 1 and if it hasn’t that run will probably fail. On runs where I’m unlocking the tiers I’m on now I mean. Or by come together I mean like start having a shape. Nothing worse than taking like a catalyst and a poison card in your first two encounters then the game giving you nothing but shiv relic and card choices for the rest of the run lol

Definitely don’t take a speculative catalyst, especially in the first couple floors, if you’re ascension climbing. Silent especially needs up-front damage cards ASAP. Kick things off with dagger throw, blade dance, predator, poisoned stab, backstab, all out attack, dagger spray, noxious fumes are good cards for the first few floors. bouncing flask if you aren’t fighting slime boss

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Silent Act 1 is miserable on high ascension, you have the biggest starter deck and you have to immediately add crappy damage commons over speculative picks cause two out of three elites are impossible otherwise

Just had an okay go of it with skewer + chemical x, a combo I usually overlook

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
chem x is such a surprisingly good relic

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ArfJason posted:

chem x is such a surprisingly good relic

I'm a strong believer in it for Ironclad and Defect, makes Whirlwind and whatever Defect's "get X armor" card is

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm a strong believer in it for Ironclad and Defect, makes Whirlwind and whatever Defect's "get X armor" card is

silent has malaise which is also insane with chem x. watcher is the only real class that misses out cuz collect is poop and conjure blade is funny but really slow, which means it doesnt synergize with the fastest class in the game unfortunately

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I had to look up Collect cause I don't think I've ever taken it on purpose.

But yeah it's like how they gave Deva Form to the character with nothing good to cash in infinite energy on

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Just had a fun little Silent deck with Ice Cream and Concentration, if I'd ever seen a Malaise it would have kicked rear end.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

from da gambling thread

goferchan posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2379780/Balatro/

This game is sick, deckbuilding Poker roguelike with a free open play test right now. gambling=gaming

this rules. you can playtest it for free and it's already got a hell of a lot going on and cool earthboundish backgrounds and VERY pretty shiny cards.

my first run i got a joker (relic basically) that lets you make straights and flushes with only 4 cards, which also made it very easy to make straight flushes (play a four card straight and a fifth card to make a four card flush). though i ended up leveling up my flush payout so much i think it was better to just go for those instead of straight flush. also got a polychrome joker which doubled my multiplier after everything else. ended up losing trying to take on "the wall" which had like 5x as much hp as the previous boss

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah my win had 4 polychromes lol, the multipliers were getting ridiculous. Be advised you can drag your jokers around to change their order (and even do that in between hands). There are definitely some balance things they need to work out -- like the reward for skipping blinds and going to the boss is never worth it IMO. But super cool game

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

b_d posted:

you can often get 2 or 3 maybe but you can often get 1 and then no others as well

Lol again at dis post

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

am i wrong. am i wrong. calmer n you are.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

I also beat it last night with a deck that was reduced to just a bunch of 4/5/6/7/8 of diamonds so I could play a straight flush almost every hand lol. but had no idea you could move your jokers around which definitely affected some of my strats. cool game

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

your deck does not reshuffle and draw if you draw it out, you only see a card once. almost lost on that run discarding my whole deck away, barely scraped over the top with ~30 chips on my last card

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Arch Nemesis posted:

your deck does not reshuffle and draw if you draw it out, you only see a card once. almost lost on that run discarding my whole deck away, barely scraped over the top with ~30 chips on my last card

lol good to know

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

first win in the books after 20-30 runs. i got the tarot card that grants a random legendary joker which gave me yorick (5x multiplier after you've discarded 23(?) times). got a drunkard joker and a wasteful voucher shortly after that for extra discards to get it online pretty quickly. i had 4 different multiplier jokers at the end of the game and as long as my hand had a card of each suit in it, the total multiplication was 160x. it's not clear in the screenshot but i one-shotted the final boss with a rainbow full house. the game needs a lot of balance adjustment but it's fun and definitely worth playing.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

got my first win after around 5-10 runs. same poo poo with Yorick and a bunch of discards. I also grabbed the voucher that lowers ante by one so i got an extra three rounds to play with. I take Four Fingers every time I can get it, it seems ridiculously good.

Wasn't sure how the joker disabling would work. I put the loyalty card over there since I had just grabbed it to trigger Stencil anyway and I thought the hand counter might continue. Then when the tooltip just said it was entirely disabled I didn't want to risk switching it with something else in case it would just disable both instead of switching.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

also. I wasn't sure if you would be able to continue a run in the middle since there wasn't any UI indicating that you could so I didn't risk it before. but it turns out you can and I was even able to load my run from the start of the last boss, which let me take those screenshots, and unlocked a joker for continuing a run

edit:

I guess this is the ascension equivalent? Cool if it doles out some buffs along with the challenges.

Do you think the "abandoned deck" (starts with no face cards) is an extra challenge or does the smaller starting deck potentially make up for most of the best cards being gone.

edit edit: it's a lot easier to make straights. right osff the gat

big deal fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 15, 2023

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Abandoned deck was my first win. Fifth attempt at the game I think, third with that deck cause I wanted to try manipulating it with tarot

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah abandoned deck seems really strong actually

had a good run going yesterday with a 3x multiplier for using all the suits and a 3x on the last hand and a copy joker i could use to double either of those... but i hit a boss with a scary blind, rerolled it, and got some suit debuffed, which prevents the one 3x multiplier from triggering. did not have the ability to make many chips without those multipliers every hand

big deal fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 16, 2023

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've been playing Fights in Tight Spaces which is fun but definitely doesn't compete with the top of the genre. All decks feel like they end up blending into each other a lot and there seem to be limited options for synergy beyond the very basics. Still, the aesthetic is fun and it's satisfying to clear out a room with a good hand, worth a look when it goes cheap

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Been playing this game, it's a dice deckbuilder.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1755830/Astrea_SixSided_Oracles/

Basically Slay the Spire with gambling + longer battles. Just beat it with all 6 characters which unlocks the true final boss and I just barely squeezed by but I beat that too.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Astrea is really cool and I am usually very critical of basically anything that isn't Slay the Spire. It has a lot going for it and the push/pull system of Corruption and Purification makes for some really puzzling and engaging combat.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

very slay the spire like game but with a big positioning element in combat called Cobalt Core is coming out soon. there's a demo out for the first act now. really short and not hard but really fun, and there's at least two higher difficulties to unlock plus whatever comes after the first act.

i know this forum is sadly still plagued with bigots and trolls so I'll say don't let the store/cover art put you off. in game it does not look or seem like freedom planet at all. if you shrink at such things.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2179850/Cobalt_Core/

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dude that 100% looks like freedom planet

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah i said in game. jesus christ.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

this frredom planet slay the spire kicks rear end.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

big deal posted:

this frredom planet slay the spire kicks rear end.

it's fun. some of the character dialog is slightly Cringe but it's fine. I played for several hours, slots nicely into a sts/into the breach shaped game slot in my inventory

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I got one run in yesterday and liked it so far but I'll have to see how it plays for real in whatever the ascension equivalent is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Been playing this game, it's a dice deckbuilder.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1755830/Astrea_SixSided_Oracles/

Basically Slay the Spire with gambling + longer battles. Just beat it with all 6 characters which unlocks the true final boss and I just barely squeezed by but I beat that too.

its good. stuck on the character who starts with two sentries because i keep getting to the final boss who always seems to one shot both of them on an early turn

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!