Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Samovar posted:

It's 'bimbo'.

This is a day so long in coming that I am uncertain how to celebrate it.
Perhaps... a quiet chuckle.
Very well then. Let us... chuckle.

Well, y'know. Using the word LUN is always weird in Pakistan, because that's the word for "penis" in Urdu (and I suspect in Hindi). So you tend to spell it out rather than saying "LUN", which is awkward in the IT business.

pedrovay2003 posted:

The Mafia series really is different from Saints Row and GTA, probably by design. I'm so used to seeing all the ridiculous mod videos for GTA and remembering smacking people with dildos in Saints Row that I guess I've learned to have a preconceived notion in my head that all similar games are going to end up being silly. But yeah, holy crap, the characters in Mafia are absolutely ruthless. They try to do some comedy relief here and there, but it really doesn't stick that much.

'tis funny, but I mentioned Saint's Row, and just today, I saw a review for the reboot which absolutely roasts it, for having a terrible story, terrible characters, terrible writing, terrible gameplay, and having none of the charm or silliness of the originals.

D'you reckon the awfulness of the Mafia II characters is deliberate? Is this meant to be the game version of "The Fall of Michael Corleone"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't think it's deliberate. Whoever wrote this thought it was good.

I think it's more akin to Goodfellas where for awhile things are good for the characters but then everything goes to poo poo

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

painedforever posted:

I remember reading somewhere that the first Saint's Row was skeezy because of how it glorified gangs and violence, but it didn't take itself seriously because everyone was a caricture. But these guys are just so awful.
The first Saints Row isn't really particularly goofy, and neither it nor the second game really glorify gangs or violence. In the first one, Julius establishes the Saints to fight back against the gangs, but realises that he's just made a bigger, worse gang so he attempts to kill the protagonist and destroy the Saints. In the second one, the protagonist wins, but only by being worse than all the other gang leaders and politicians they replace. I'm sure a lot of people misread it (because they assume that the protagonist must be the hero) but you're pretty obviously playing as the worst of all the bad guys. The third and fourth ones a mess though. The third, particularly, is wildly inconsistent in tone and intent.

resurgam40 posted:

I mean, Saint's Row and GTA- they aren't really series that were interested in presenting any moral framework, and were just about advancing itself through violence and having fun
Maybe if you ignore the story? I haven't played all the GTA games, but the ones I have are pretty clear about the protagonists being pushed into their lives of crime with no real way out of their circumstances except through ever-escalating violence. They're more sympathetic toward the protagonist than the first two Saints Row games, but instead they portray all the other characters as awful, unpleasant people.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Tiggum posted:

The first Saints Row isn't really particularly goofy, and neither it nor the second game really glorify gangs or violence. In the first one, Julius establishes the Saints to fight back against the gangs, but realises that he's just made a bigger, worse gang so he attempts to kill the protagonist and destroy the Saints. In the second one, the protagonist wins, but only by being worse than all the other gang leaders and politicians they replace. I'm sure a lot of people misread it (because they assume that the protagonist must be the hero) but you're pretty obviously playing as the worst of all the bad guys. The third and fourth ones a mess though. The third, particularly, is wildly inconsistent in tone and intent.

I haven't played the first one, but I watched DMorbid's LP of it. The main story is sorta serious, but not really. But the side-missions are... there's you driving around prostitutes and listening to the really weird crap everyone speaks, there's the drug-dealer mission (which includes a soccer mom, I think?), and the missions in which you allow yourself to get run over to make money. And the second one had the septic truck. Everybody remembers the septic truck.

So, y'know? It sorta leans into the "this is a game, just go with it". And yeah, I rather liked the third and fourth games because they go really hard into the "we're gonna have some serious moments, but mostly we're trying to have fun here". And the gameplay is really, really fun.

Tiggum posted:

Maybe if you ignore the story? I haven't played all the GTA games, but the ones I have are pretty clear about the protagonists being pushed into their lives of crime with no real way out of their circumstances except through ever-escalating violence. They're more sympathetic toward the protagonist than the first two Saints Row games, but instead they portray all the other characters as awful, unpleasant people.

I haven't finished any of the GTA games either. I've played bits of all of them, but haven't finished them because they get really tedious (to my mind, anyway). But I've seen LPs (mostly by DMorbid, who really is great at this sort of thing), and yeah, I can see what you mean. I dunno about GTA 5 because I don't know how the story goes, but yeah, the others are all about ever-escalating crime and violence. Maybe not Vice City so much because Tommy is part of the Mob anyway.

But maybe it's the tone of the thing. Mafia I and Mafia II don't seem to have any side-missions or wacky hijinks to break up the tension. GTA and Saints Row have a colourful cast of characters, and they have weird side-missions, and easter eggs and suchlike.

The latter two series are also sandbox games, and have been since the beginning. Mafia is very story-driven, so the story is very front-and-centre.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
Part 11 is up now! Only one more episode after this one, we're coming to the end!

Yeah, I haven't played any of the Saints Row games that came before the super silly ones. Saints Row: The Third was my first one in the series, and I loved it because it was silly, but I wonder how different I would feel if I had started from the beginning.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

pedrovay2003 posted:

Yeah, I haven't played any of the Saints Row games that came before the super silly ones. Saints Row: The Third was my first one in the series, and I loved it because it was silly, but I wonder how different I would feel if I had started from the beginning.

The first one was a cut-price GTA clone. With, if DMorbid's LP is anything to go by, kinda janky controls. Saints Row 2 is apparently really liked by a lot of people. I got it for free on some platform (GOG? Steam? Epic? One of those), but I haven't played it. But the series slowly develops into Wacky Hijinks, so maybe if you'd played it from the beginning, you would've been eased into it.

So yeah, parental issues outa nowhere! Where the hell did that come from? And was Vito really that upset about his father being knocked off? I thought he didn't like him.

And it turns out that the Mafia aren't good people. Who would've thought? Certainly not Vito.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

EDIT: Damned double posting.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I think Saints Row 2 is best experienced via the LEGENDARY Kaubocks/PanzerSkank LP. I've heard that the jankiness can be pretty off-putting.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Samovar posted:

I think Saints Row 2 is best experienced via the LEGENDARY Kaubocks/PanzerSkank LP. I've heard that the jankiness can be pretty off-putting.

That LP is hilarious, and definitely worth watching, but the game is actually really good and worth playing - preferably before you watch the LP because it's better to know what's normal before you see the crazy version. It's not perfect by any measure, but it is the best game of its genre. The later entries are a lot more polished and have less bullshit to put up with, but they don't demonstrate the same incredible amount of effort and attention to detail put into Saints Row 2 - and aren't really the same genre anyway (although SR3 is arguable). And although the story isn't groundbreaking or anything, it's well-written and driven by some very well-realised and memorable characters, so that's good too.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, this game... (Which I've now managed to get through all the vids, thanks P&A!) it's... Illustrative of the problems of GTA-style games which try to have a serious narrative. It's very of it's time. And that time has passed, I feel.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 12, the finale, is up now! What a journey of murder and a total lack of morality this has been! What're your thoughts? Better than the first game? Not as good? It's kind of a big l mixed bag for me, I thought the gameplay was improved in this one for the most part, but the characters were better in the first one.

A big thanks to everyone who stuck it out with us, and we hope to be back soon with something else to play!

Samovar posted:

I'm absolutely going to have to check this one out.

Samovar posted:

Yeah, this game... (Which I've now managed to get through all the vids, thanks P&A!) it's... Illustrative of the problems of GTA-style games which try to have a serious narrative. It's very of it's time. And that time has passed, I feel.

Yeah, I agree, it definitely hits differently now than when it was new.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That... Was... Well, it was an ending. I mean a story STOPPED, so by definition it was an ending but...

Well, at least the gameplay was kinda solid? But it was definitely the case of too much incidental stuff added for no reason - the box carrying, the speed limiter... Hell, the rotating telescope. It was excessive gilding that didn't really add a solid game experience - from what I could tell, anyways.

Glad to have seen you play it, tho!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah the ending sucked, I’m sorry. I remember being like ‘…that’s it?’ back when the game came out.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Would this be a "shaggy dog" story?

I think this would be a failure of the medium. I think I can see what they were going for, that maybe being a criminal isn't a good idea. Vito wants to be part of the Mafia after he sees a Mafia Don in Italy. So he gets to join the Mafia (eventually), and yeah, gets a bit of success, but also loses his family, goes to jail, and gets his house and money burned to a crisp. And also his best friend.

But the problem is that this is a third-person shooter, which means mowing down waves of nameless, faceless mooks. Murder isn't a shock. There's no pathos. It's just endless violence. The game tells you which deaths are supposed to be significant, but you don't care, and any reaction out of the characters feels fake or overdone (e.g. Joe and that kid-whatever).

I'll be honest though, I'm kind of a sucker for this sort of thing. It's unusual for a game to show you the consequences of being a terrible person. If only the gameplay would support it a bit better.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

painedforever posted:

I'll be honest though, I'm kind of a sucker for this sort of thing. It's unusual for a game to show you the consequences of being a terrible person. If only the gameplay would support it a bit better.

And there's the rub. To be sure, I agree with your point, but if the gameplay undermines the message it... Really ruins any type of textual communication.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There’s one dialog sequence in Far Cry 6 that amused me, which is when you do a sidequest for a doctor and at the end he tells you ‘so yeah, you basically need to be in a constant state of homicidal violence or else you will be crippled by the PTSD of what you’ve done’ which is a decent acknowledgment of your character killing thousands of soldiers

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

There’s one dialog sequence in Far Cry 6 that amused me, which is when you do a sidequest for a doctor and at the end he tells you ‘so yeah, you basically need to be in a constant state of homicidal violence or else you will be crippled by the PTSD of what you’ve done’ which is a decent acknowledgment of your character killing thousands of soldiers

That's... A unique way of cutting the knot, I'll give them that.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ha! Yeah, that's pretty unique.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
I just got this in the mail, so that's kind of funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
Shoulda modded the game so it said "Play-boid" in the collection screen