Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
Problem description: My system (as per below) has an issue transferring files via USB, I have a number of USB 2.0 external drives, I am trying to pass files onto a new drive yet get a crazy USB transfer speeds, the highest I get is 30mb/s usually it starts around there then quickly drops to as low as 355kb/s where it then settles, does 355kb for a few seconds then drops to zero over and over. There is nothing else on the system running.
In performance in task manager, CPU usage is 4-7%, memory is 55%

Attempted fixes: Re-installing all USB and Motherboard drivers, changing USB ports. I have also put the drives into performance mode but no joy.

Recent changes: Only recent changes are updated all relevant drivers to latest.

--

[Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2701, 13/07/2021
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING
16GB Ram 3300

USB:
ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft) PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_2142&SUBSYS_87561043&REV_00\4&D79857F&0&00E4
Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft) PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A2AF&SUBSYS_872F1043&REV_00\3&11583659&0&A0

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Any ideas anyone has would be appreciated. Both Drives in question are USB 2.0 plugged into USB 2.0 or 3.0 (both active in BIOS)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try a different USB cable if possible.

You could also run CDI https://crystalmark.info/en/download/ to see if the drive has an issue.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
Tried other cables, no joy.
Ran that, no errors found :/

What is odd is that speeds seem to start higher then taper off eventually to zero.

bad-yeti fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 18, 2022

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Are you trying to copy files directly from one USB drive to another USB drive? If so, I'd try copying a bunch of files onto the main computer drive and see if that also slows down in the same way.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
It could be that you are trying to copy from one to the other via the same internal bus, and it's getting saturated. Zogo's suggestion to copy to the internal hard drive first would possibly indicate this if the speed is far better.
You could also have some dodgy sectors on one or more of the USB devices, and it's having trouble reading data.
I have a USB3 stick here that hits really slow spots that drop below 30MB/sec but then gets back up to 120MB/sec if the files are big or numerous enough. I'm assuming there's a bad spot somewhere and it needs to do a lot of error recovery and that slows it right down.

Having said all that, I really recommend getting some USB3 external storage. It's hard to go back to a max of 33MB/sec when my good stick here can get to 500MB/sec. If you decide to do so, know that not all USB3 devices are created equal and a lot of them are slow as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmaniac
Jul 10, 2010
What operating system are you running ?
Are your external drives flash or mechanical ?

This sounds like your cache being exhausted (but I can't say for sure): The initial fast write you see is usually your operating system writing files into a fast-write cache that sits before the drive's permanent storage. Once the cache is full, your operating system can no longer write into the cache and needs to wait until more space is made available. This happens as your external drive begins flushing the cache (writing contents of the drive's cache into the drive's permanent memory). Writes to permanent memory are slow.

Could you link the external drives you are using ?