Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's a hard way to walk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
"You've got to love your negro man", the whole scene, catches me off guard every time I watch this movie.

The Beatles constantly reminding you who they are and which one is speaking (in the worst accents I've ever heard) was a bit I didn't think I'd be laughing at from start to finish but goddamn it works. Between Jack Black and Paul Rudd alone the accents are an adventure.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

You ever try and jerk off with a ghost hand? Nuthin.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I finally checked this thing out after hearing about it for years and it was hilarious, so quotable, should've been as big as Anchorman/Talladega Nights/Blades Of Glory. one of my favorite musicians, Mike Viola, did a large chunk of the songs for this; if y'all have ever seen That Thing You Do! he does vocals for the title track

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Blood Nightmaster posted:

one of my favorite musicians, Mike Viola, did a large chunk of the songs for this; if y'all have ever seen That Thing You Do! he does vocals for the title track

This is cool and I did not know that. That Thing You Do! is a fun movie with some good songs, too :hai:

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Walk Hard, Pop Star, and That Thing You Do! ftmfw tbh

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I liked the running gag that he has no clue how many kids he has.

It’s weird seeing Matt Besser in a film, he’s fine but he’s such a big podcast presence.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Shinjobi posted:

The Beatles constantly reminding you who they are and which one is speaking (in the worst accents I've ever heard) was a bit I didn't think I'd be laughing at from start to finish but goddamn it works. Between Jack Black and Paul Rudd alone the accents are an adventure.

I dunno ya know, I'm just trying to get some more sawngs on the ALbummmm

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I liked the running gag that he has no clue how many kids he has.

It’s weird seeing Matt Besser in a film, he’s fine but he’s such a big podcast presence.

He's really funny on The Upright Citizens Brigade.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
yeah if there's anything I know Besser from it's the UCB show on Comedy Central, that show was great.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i saw this twice in the theater, the second time was with my parents and it became a movie we'd watch together for a long while after.

I've made pretty long lasting friends twice by introducing this movie.

tripping on acid watching Walk Hard is an experience.

big fan of it.

it's just solid gold all the way through but the early bit about being cut in half real bad is basically my favorite gag i think.

"I was not able to reattach the top half of his body to the bottom half of his body..."

"SPEAK ENGLISH, DOC! WE AIN'T SCIENTISTS!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCNKdJ2CIJk
Looks like a worthy successor

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Welp, I finally went and did it. I bought a used two-disc unrated Blu-ray of this movie because I’ve only seen the theatrical version (on DVD). Got a lot of cool poo poo on the second disc I can’t wait to see :hehe:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

watched this yesterday, seen it once before, pretty good, got a few of the songs stuck in my head, too many good moments to list. john c reilly is really funny. my immediate reaction was that the movie was super cliche and then realized thats half the point lol.

It's called Karate, man. Only two kinds of people know it, The Chinese and The King. And one of them is me.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJdXQss9QGY

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Who or what is a roku?

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

my first thought watching the trailer was "this looks awesome but can it do better than Dewey Cox?"

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

numberoneposter posted:

It's called Karate, man. Only two kinds of people know it, The Chinese and The King. And one of them is me.

lllllLLLLOOOK OUT MAYUNNN

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs72-qjujts

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

the original music is pretty funny but i cant stop laughing at the covers

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
I got to see this masterpiece in the theater on opening weekend. Great experience, empty theater with only my brother and me in attendance. We were cracking up so much and I did catch some waterworks on Beautiful Ride. I think the director's cut is called something like " The excruciatingly long director's cut" or something. So funny.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

the original music is pretty funny but i cant stop laughing at the covers

That Starman cover really does sound like the sort of thing someone would've done in a '70s variety show

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Who or what is a roku?

Roku is a company that makes TVs and streaming boxes. They also own a bunch of streaming content that they use on an ad supported channel (for example they bought up Quibi's library of content after they folded.)

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

dr_rat posted:

Who or what is a roku?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Welp, I done went and did it and watched the unrated extended version last night.

And guess what? I actually prefer the theatrical version because the extended 1970s section really drags down the movie in the third act. I mean, you lose a lot of fun stuff like Patrick Duffy from Dallas getting his rear end kicked and Cheryl Tiegs as Dewey’s third wife, along with some extra hokey variety show covers of songs that are so on the nose for that time, but everything in between just wasn’t really humorous and I think they made the right choice to cut that portion out for the theatrical release.

What I would have done was use the extended versions of most of the songs for the theatrical because they’re too short otherwise. “(Mama) You Got to Love Your Negro Man,” “That’s Amore,” and “Royal Jelly” are some that come to mind.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Also, I would pay a handsome amount of money for a deluxe soundtrack with all 40 songs on it :guitar:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

You Are A Elf posted:

Welp, I done went and did it and watched the unrated extended version last night.

And guess what? I actually prefer the theatrical version because the extended 1970s section really drags down the movie in the third act. I mean, you lose a lot of fun stuff like Patrick Duffy from Dallas getting his rear end kicked and Cheryl Tiegs as Dewey’s third wife, along with some extra hokey variety show covers of songs that are so on the nose for that time, but everything in between just wasn’t really humorous and I think they made the right choice to cut that portion out for the theatrical release.

What I would have done was use the extended versions of most of the songs for the theatrical because they’re too short otherwise. “(Mama) You Got to Love Your Negro Man,” “That’s Amore,” and “Royal Jelly” are some that come to mind.

nerds love to jizz their pants over extended cuts because ridley scott got hosed over one time but it turns out that there's usually good reasons most things get cut

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

the holy poopacy posted:

nerds love to jizz their pants over extended cuts because ridley scott got hosed over one time but it turns out that there's usually good reasons most things get cut

“All those moments will be lost in time… like jizz in pants. Time to cry.”

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Another weird change for the extended: at the end when Dewey’s singing “Beautiful Ride,” he sees the spirits of his family, but his brother is back to being a kid along with Dewey seeing himself as a kid instead of just the older Jonah Hill brother like in the theatrical. Why keep the Jonah Hill cameo if you’re not gonna stick with it at the end?

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
"I'm 14 year old Dewey Cox!"
"And I'm Dewey Cox's 12 year old girlfriend!"

A friend and I rented this movie on a whim like a decade ago and ended up watching it three times over the weekend, since then I've made sure to introduce people to it regularly, it's just such a silly movie that has no business being so good.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

"All you care about is fruit, and touching yourself. Well gently caress you!"

The funniest part about that scene is John C. Reilly said the chimp was very sweet but looked visibly saddened when he wad doing this bit, and he felt so bad about doing it as a result.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The only part that needs to be extended from the original movie is the Beatles scene, there was a lot of gold left on the floor there compared to the theatrical release

Built by scientists it is

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

You Are A Elf posted:

“All those moments will be lost in time… like jizz in pants. Time to cry.”

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What I love about Walk Hard's style of humor is that it feels like it came about one of two ways:

1) An MST of a music biopic that morphed into its own movie, or

2) A music biopic if it were written by an 8th grader doing a history report.

Seaniqua posted:

Another great comedy that just totally ate poo poo in the theater, and Meadows is loving fantastic in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLooDtjrhv8

"I can't stop Seal from singing".
Ya know, it's impressive that they told me exactly what's going to happen in the video title, foreshadow it from a mile away, and still cracked me up when it actually happened.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Watch it, and then watch the new Elvis movie, and suddenly the new Elvis movie will be just hilarious. It almost seems like a reverse parody of Walk Hard, like a sincere version of a fake movie.

I just finished watching Elvis for the first time. Really solid movie, but holy Mary mother of gently caress the similarities between Elvis and Walk Hard were spot on. It's already been said in this thread that it has a literal "IT'S THE DEVIL'S MUSIC!" scene, but I wasn't expecting an inspiring blues man early on, "You Got to Love Your Negro Man" club dancing, and "Elvis died three minutes after this performance" after a heartfelt finale song, among other similarities. It's like Apatow and Reilly looked 14 years into the movie future and said "Let's satirize that!"

There was even shades of The Blues Brothers and Amadeus with the elderly Tom Parker taking the narrative framing device place of Antonio Salieri, along with Salieri working Mozart to exhaustion and an untimely death.

Still though, Elvis was highly entertaining, and Austin Butler was incredible in it. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Legit lol

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Caesar Saladin posted:

There's no way this movie could exist without John C Reilly. There's nobody out there who has such goofy perfect comedic chops while also being an actually exceptional musician. It also a complete bummer that it was actually a total flop. I mean, I didn't see it in theatre but I guess nobody else did either.

I feel like a time traveling Steve Martin or Kermit the Frog could do it

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I saw the trailer for this movie and it was presented as an advertisement for Dewey Cox sausages.

“When you think of sausages, think of coxs!”

Also the DVD has interviews with various real singers, all explaining how much they love cox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Caesar Saladin posted:

This version of That's Amore and the reaction cracks me up, and Walk Hard itself is a cool song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2lhQCxKx_Y

You can hear the whole song, it's pretty great