Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought Gane Of Thrones, the show, ended with magic very much in the ascendency. I dunno how else to read the stuff with Bran taking power and being a magic psychic or whatever he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah but the dragons are dead for good, and all the magic north of the wall is too (giants, white walkers). It had already mostly left Westeros as seen in their inert religion and general lack of day-to-day magic. You see the contrast when characters travel eastward and encounter prophets who seemingly still have magic, faceless men, etc.

You're right about Bran, but I blame some of that on D&D's horrible handling of the ending. It's hard to really know what Martin intended there.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Grey Worm hunting Jon all over the world when he realizes he just let Jon get away with what he wanted after killing his Queen.

Ghost will appear sometimes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Arya dies of smallpox in a human zoo for savages established by the hyper-advanced GoT-world analogues of the native peoples of the Americas, who set out to colonize Westeros with rail guns and anti-gravity warships after figuring out the bearing of Arya’s ship.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I actually think Kit Harrington drastically improved as an actor over the course of the show. On my rewatch he was one of the standouts for me, especially because he has to basically carry the dramatic weight of most of the North scenes for the entire show.

I don't think he has traditional leading man charisma but I can see him succeeding at a Colin Farrell-esque pivot if he ever decides to stop trying to be a mediocre leading man and do more character work.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
kit harrington in True Detective

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He played a decent villain in Extrapolations last year.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tender Bender posted:

I actually think Kit Harrington drastically improved as an actor over the course of the show. On my rewatch he was one of the standouts for me, especially because he has to basically carry the dramatic weight of most of the North scenes for the entire show.

I don't think he has traditional leading man charisma but I can see him succeeding at a Colin Farrell-esque pivot if he ever decides to stop trying to be a mediocre leading man and do more character work.

id find that funny if there is just like a hyper advanced civilazation across the sea or for some reason, their world is in a sci fi universe like 40k or some poo poo and its some long long lost colony ships poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Open Source Idiom posted:

He played a decent villain in Extrapolations last year.

I liked him as the villian in call of duty infinte warfare(the space one). he plays a young good dead eyed facist at least.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Tender Bender posted:

this is gonna sound weird but he's a good physical actor in the way Keanu Reeves is. Like the swordplay on GoT isn't realistic but he does it convincingly, much like Keanu looks like he knows what he's doing in the Matrix or John Wick

if he showed up in a competently made mid-budget action flick that played to his strengths it'd probably be really good for him

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Pattonesque posted:

this is gonna sound weird but he's a good physical actor in the way Keanu Reeves is. Like the swordplay on GoT isn't realistic but he does it convincingly, much like Keanu looks like he knows what he's doing in the Matrix or John Wick

if he showed up in a competently made mid-budget action flick that played to his strengths it'd probably be really good for him

it was in a commentary or after show thing but they did say he was really good at swinging a sword around.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

Keanu looks like he knows what he's doing in the Matrix

That's because the main cast of the Matrix reportedly spent between four and six months being trained by martial arts experts.

https://ew.com/movies/1999/04/09/how-matrix-made-it-big-screen/

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Just rewatched the first episode. I don't think I picked up on the romantic dynamic between Rhaenyra and Alicent. In hindsight I guess it makes sense to heighten the drama.

Also, do you think they'll give Matt Smith eyebrows for season 2?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

id find that funny if there is just like a hyper advanced civilazation across the sea or for some reason, their world is in a sci fi universe like 40k or some poo poo and its some long long lost colony ships poo poo.

A pretty common fan theory in the bookreader community is it’s a post-apocalypse after a sci-fi future. I won’t go into it in the spirit of the thread but if you research it yourself you shouldn’t bump into spoilers unless you wander off. The evidence is a lot of “in chapter X character Y (who didn’t make it into GoT) said, ‘I heard there’s some freaky poo poo over in Place Name,”

It’s not a super well motivated theory in terms of textual citations, but it’s very fun.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Aertuun posted:

That's because the main cast of the Matrix reportedly spent between four and six months being trained by martial arts experts.

https://ew.com/movies/1999/04/09/how-matrix-made-it-big-screen/

also for John Wick he legitimately learned how to be terrifying with a gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xii9_oWQ7HY

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

A pretty common fan theory in the bookreader community is it’s a post-apocalypse after a sci-fi future. I won’t go into it in the spirit of the thread but if you research it yourself you shouldn’t bump into spoilers unless you wander off. The evidence is a lot of “in chapter X character Y (who didn’t make it into GoT) said, ‘I heard there’s some freaky poo poo over in Place Name,”

It’s not a super well motivated theory in terms of textual citations, but it’s very fun.

It’s very silly, but I kind of believe it because how else could you have people named Circe without a connection to Earth culture? How else could you have people name Caitlin on a planet where French never existed?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

come to think of it...they're all speaking english...

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

roomtone posted:

come to think of it...they're all speaking english...

Yeah, I can ignore the names because the second you start pulling apart why they’re speaking English it all falls apart.

Even Tolkein said that’s all translated for convenience and is really in another language. He just had a stack of notes on how Pippin is short for Peregrine because they’re actually [made up names in Hobbit or Shirish or whatever].

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The other level to the theory is that GRRM has mentioned many times about how big a fan he was of Gene Wolfe, and Wolfe's most well-known series is The Book of the New Sun, which can by coyly described as "a sci-fi story written in the style of a fantasy story". I think a lot of the sci-fi aspects in ASoIaF are just little winks and jokes, and not anything you are supposed to deeply look into. GRRM was likely just having fun trying to see if he could describe ruined future-tech in a way that made it come off as normal descriptions of fantasy poo poo.

But there's absolutely gotta be something going on because that description of Asshai and The Shadow screams radiation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s very silly, but I kind of believe it because how else could you have people named Circe without a connection to Earth culture? How else could you have people name Caitlin on a planet where French never existed?

George claims that the names are unrelated.

quote:

SEPTEMBER 11, 1999

I know my Homer, of course, but Cersei is not based on Circe. Many names sound alike.

Arya is two syllables.

https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Cersei_and_Homer

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The other level to the theory is that GRRM has mentioned many times about how big a fan he was of Gene Wolfe, and Wolfe's most well-known series is The Book of the New Sun, which can by coyly described as "a sci-fi story written in the style of a fantasy story". I think a lot of the sci-fi aspects in ASoIaF are just little winks and jokes, and not anything you are supposed to deeply look into. GRRM was likely just having fun trying to see if he could describe ruined future-tech in a way that made it come off as normal descriptions of fantasy poo poo.

But there's absolutely gotta be something going on because that description of Asshai and The Shadow screams radiation.

And if you lay the geography of actual Earth on top, the Shadowlands beyond Asshai are North Korea.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

So the show has Arya mispronounced?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ruddiger posted:

So the show has Arya mispronounced?

George doesn’t understand syllables, or he changed his mind I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ydw5aRbXsw&t=27s

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Arrr yarrr

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Arya winning son?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

How could you have people named Jon on a planet where cats doesn't eat lasagne?