Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
Problem description: I had an SSD fail in my Asus ROG laptop. I was using Windows, everything seemed fine, until the computer suddenly crashed. When I tried to boot, the laptop could no longer detect the drive with Windows on it (which is the SSD). The computer showed an error message that said "S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad, Backup and Replace". BIOS only showed the secondary hard drive, not the SSD.

Fortunately, nothing vital was lost in the crash and most of my data is backed up. However, there are a few things I'd like to recover if possible.

Attempted fixes: A google search suggested power cycling the drive. Power it on for 30 minutes, off for 30 seconds, on for another 30 minutes, then off for 30 seconds again before trying the drive. This did not work.

I put the drive in an external enclosure, and I could see it in Windows but could not access it in any way.

Recent changes: I did not make any recent changes to the system prior to the failure. I've been using it for a few years at this point without issue, until now. After the drive failure, I replaced the SSD with a new one. Then I placed the bad drive in an external enclosure to try to recover the data.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home, 64 bit

System specs: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 2280 TLC SSD (SP001TBP34A60M28)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I put the drive in an external enclosure, and I could see it in Windows but could not access it in any way.

You could try the demo version of this and see if it can find any files
https://www.active-undelete.com/download.htm

If it can then some other free recovery software should be able to do the job probably.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Zogo posted:

You could try the demo version of this and see if it can find any files
https://www.active-undelete.com/download.htm

If it can then some other free recovery software should be able to do the job probably.
Thank you, this seems promising. It found the files I wanted, but when I tried to recover some of the small ones using the demo, the documents all came out blank. I tried using Word's "Recover Text from Any File" feature but that didn't work. I'm not sure what to do now.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try another program from this list and see if it can recover an intact file:

https://www.lifewire.com/free-data-recovery-software-tools-2622893