Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

quote:

Cook and serve your dishes, design and decorate your restaurants, and expand your culinary kingdom with new unlocks, abilities and dishes in procedurally-generated locations. Classic cooking action with permanent roguelite progression. Hire your friends - or do it all yourself!

Basically it's Overcooked except instead of a bullshit layout that fucks you over intentionally, you and your team decide the shape of the kitchen (before the game even begins), then decide where you want to put stuff. In the image below, the players picked a layout and a main course (both steaks AND meat pies in this case, so far in to the permanent progression system), and can move anything you see in the below screenshot except for the walls themselves. Serving counter space (on the top middle) is part of the layout you pick, and the layouts are procedurally generated with a few to pick from every time you plan your restaurant.

The main game is 15 days long and you try to successfully fill all orders in time without letting people wait for a table too long. Easy early on, but increasingly hectic as more customers are attracted to the restaurant. The game works out nicely in to different job functions - with two people, you tend to have one in the kitchen and one taking orders, delivering food, and bussing dirty plates at the front of the house. With three you get a floater that does some prep cooking and some bussing, etc.

Every day you receive new random blueprints and can decide whether or not to build them. Blueprints include things like more counter space, extra dining tables, an additional oven, and the best of all, sinks and plates :unsmigghh: these can often be upgraded using the research desk, an item you always get in the first few rounds. so you can get a sink that can store 4 dirty dishes at once, which is the greatest thing that has ever happened in the history of the world.

Every few days, you have to take cards that add stuff - an additional item that can be ordered and has to be cooked (easily the hardest cards most of the time), an effect like "all processes take 20% longer" or stuff like "customers cause you to walk slower near them" that drive me absolutely insane and i will never vote for ever again

every game you lose you get a free item to take in to the next game, they stock up in your planning stage and you can pick if you want, say, a free sink or a free oven to start off a game with. the long-term progression system unlocks different, often more complicated entrees to cook, more selections for restaurant layouts, etc

it ends up being much less interpersonal stress than Overcooked. this game is my co-op game of the decade probably. the interplay between front of house and back of house communicating orders and desperately trying not to lose is phenomenal and i have never played a session of the game without crying laughing from some kind of fuckup. the same people i play it with, we got angry a lot in overcooked and in this it's just complete comradery. 10/10

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
This looks extremely fun and cool and I’m going to make my friends play it and then be a terrible front of house person on purpose.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

This looks extremely fun and cool and I’m going to make my friends play it and then be a terrible front of house person on purpose.

one of my friends ruthlessly trolls me by rearranging my god damned dining tables between rounds when i'm not paying attention.

last night we were on round 14 and the chef had so much pre-prepared he thought he should help out front and it immediately led to us almost losing the game within seconds. he gave the loving completed dish to a guy that just sat down and not the couple i had to loving serve both dishes to at that exact time. thank god there was a backup pie in the freezer

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Is this available on switch?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

H110Hawk posted:

Is this available on switch?

It is PC only at this time. Definitely would be surprised if it doesn't get ported quickly, though. It's certainly a controller game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Don't own this yet but some streamers I follow have been big into it. It's the first cooking simulator I've seen that activates my BoH manager brain. Light on gimmicks, heavy on execution and creating a process together, lots of fun.

It's not only a perfect controller game but a perfect joycon one, if it doesn't come to Switch I would be amazed