Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Discussion Quorum posted:

Rugby likes to think of itself as the gentleman's game (or more precisely, "a thugs game played by gentleman, while soccer is a gentleman's game played by thugs") but the culture is toxic as gently caress. Not just around injuries but that's a thing too.

One of the guys from my last team died at a team party because he fell, hit his head, and they carried him upstairs to "sleep it off." I learned about this because an email blast went out asking anyone associated with the team to skip the funeral because there were some "hard feelings" with the family. Huh no poo poo.

I am certain that a significant number of football parents heard that and said "wow that's dedication" in an admiring voice

Yeah there was some rugby playing halfwit in gbs popping off about how it wasn't even that bad a tackle and they don't even wear pads :smug: and it's the most usual overcompensating nerd dickwaving bullshit you'd come to expect from that forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Discussion Quorum posted:

Rugby likes to think of itself as the gentleman's game (or more precisely, "a thugs game played by gentleman, while soccer is a gentleman's game played by thugs") but the culture is toxic as gently caress. Not just around injuries but that's a thing too.

One of the guys from my last team died at a team party because he fell, hit his head, and they carried him upstairs to "sleep it off." I learned about this because an email blast went out asking anyone associated with the team to skip the funeral because there were some "hard feelings" with the family. Huh no poo poo.

I watched a guy take a knee to the head during a scrum, take 3 steps and fall face first onto the pitch. Full cardiac arrest. Members of the opposing team who were firefighters did CPR until the ambulance (who were at the pitch grounds) managed to bring him back. loving terrifying.

I also had a coach who told me that my job as a front-line was to break the other guy's knees. My guy I play Senior Seconds whaleshit rugby, I pay to play this game not the other way around.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MA-Horus posted:

I watched a guy take a knee to the head during a scrum, take 3 steps and fall face first onto the pitch. Full cardiac arrest. Members of the opposing team who were firefighters did CPR until the ambulance (who were at the pitch grounds) managed to bring him back. loving terrifying.

I also had a coach who told me that my job as a front-line was to break the other guy's knees. My guy I play Senior Seconds whaleshit rugby, I pay to play this game not the other way around.

All of that is loving terrible.

I've played loose forward off and on for about 20 years. Had maybe 6 concussions all during the late 90s in college playing, only had maybe 1 after that at the club level. Clubs at least took it more seriously and would send you off if you got shook up. At the college level it was outright ignored and you were told to just get up and keep going etc.

Thankfully I have gotten to mid-40s without anything seeming to be lasting from that. Now knees and shoulders on the other hand...

e: I came into rugby from a wrestling / judo background so good tackling form was pretty easy. Most of the concussions I had were someones knee hitting me in the side of the head in a ruck or in a tackle where I was sliding to the ground.