Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Biohazard posted:

Face/Off is just fun cause it's john woo, but it's nowhere near as good as Hard Boiled which is only 2% less on rotten tomatoes at 94%. That's just insanity.

If we're talking Nick Cage, Pig is at 97% and the idea that Face/Off is even in the same realm as that movie is ludicrous.

But who cares, watch what you want to watch.

I think it's because actual effort had to go into the set pieces, lot of setup, timing, using all the tricks in book. Now it's just "we'll figure it out in post" or "we'll let the effect department handle that". It's why those (IMO anyways) Mission impossible movies have been so good as of late, and arguably the same for Top Gun Maverick, they actually make a movie, and then use some effect to clean things up. Of course, not everyone is willing to strap themselves to the side of a plane or can fly a helicopter.

because they were going for BIGGER = BETTER in terms of making money

now it's MOST EFFICIENT, which means because CGI has improved so much its most efficient to just put up loving 360 greenscreens around everyone and its poo poo. why have your actor ride a real horse? just cgi that poo poo. scout locations? nope cgi everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
Where are the faces now is what I always think in contemplative moments.

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
Face Off 2

Its a reverse Weekend At Bernies and its two dead faces controlling one living man.

Face Off 3: The Mask is ON!

and it has some The Mask mythology to explain why the dead faces still "live"

Fat Dan fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 6, 2022

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Face Off 2 starring Paul Dano and Daniel Radcliffe

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
F4ces On

Its a prequel about when they had their own faces

Dorkis Malorkis
Nov 24, 2008
I watched face/off a long time ago maybe it was the 90s and i couldn believe

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019
It needed a scene with Mr. Miyagi to really elevate it. Face On... Face Off...

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO

Stonehouse Beach posted:

It needed a scene with Mr. Miyagi to really elevate it. Face On... Face Off...

And those little drums spinny have their faces on them

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
My favorite part is when they do the boat jump stunt at the end and there is a shot that really blatantly show the face of both stunt doubles at the same time.

Like, who the gently caress are these guys?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Con-Air is the superior Cage joint

have you seen mandy?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Edmund Sparkler posted:

They're the same boots as the ones from the Mario Bros. movie, lol.

:lol: that owns

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Beans posted:

because they were going for BIGGER = BETTER in terms of making money

now it's MOST EFFICIENT, which means because CGI has improved so much its most efficient to just put up loving 360 greenscreens around everyone and its poo poo. why have your actor ride a real horse? just cgi that poo poo. scout locations? nope cgi everything

Yeah and that's actually a huge distinction, because CGI gets a bad rap because it's often rushed in post production, put on the shoulders of some poor sap making poo poo money compared to the rest of the industry they work in, and wasn't accounted for appropriately by the film crew during shooting.

What's kind of crazy is how as that industry evolves, blockbusters are just moving towards entire movies being CG, and eventually the actors themselves won't really be on screen, it'll be motion capture like they do in video games. They already replace 90% of the actor in those marvel movies and just keep the face there during non action moments.

You can sort of see where Disney is going with some of this stuff, having Mark Hamill in the Mandalorian season 2 and BOBF where they are getting better at blending CGI replacement and then using deepfake stuff. Once they get it good enough they'll have a whole Luke Skywalker TV show or series of movies, and just use his likeness. For Disney though, the obvious eventual goal is to just get away from having to pay expensive actors to do their projects, and instead be able to just have lowly paid performers doing mocap for their movies. Actors are able to get paid such ludicrous salaries because they are recognizable, but if you take that away, anyone performer can play any character, so they'll just pay lease amount they can to get it, and keep all the money for themselves.

Whatever though, I don't feel bad for the robert downey jrs of the world.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Smugworth posted:

William Henry Hairytaint told me he thought Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans was a better movie

This movie is fun to watch, but the Harvey Keitel one is so much better.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Bringing Out the Dead is also a great Nic Cage movie and its written by Paul Schrader so you know its about a sad little hosed up dude

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

You do know that 92% fresh doesn't mean 92% of the way to a perfect movie right? It means 92% of people who reviewed the movie as compiled by the Rotten Tomatoes site said at the very least "it's okay".

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I think my fav cage movie is Snake Eyes. Also every time I saw face/off on cable it was some makeup show and I’m still angry about it.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Randarkman posted:

You do know that 92% fresh doesn't mean 92% of the way to a perfect movie right? It means 92% of people who reviewed the movie as compiled by the Rotten Tomatoes site said at the very least "it's okay".

And that’s not okay.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

Sentinel Red posted:

I agree, OP, it's trash. Hard Target and Broken Arrow are Woo's only good US flicks.

Broken Arrow had my favourite Zimmer soundtrack, with that Duane Eddy twang guitar and how it drove the pace of the movie.
Bizzarely it was also used in Scream 2 as a theme for the character Dewey.

Protagonist stylishly fights badass high-tech terrorists was certainly a genre.
Maybe the Matrix took it to it's conclusion.

Biohazard posted:

I think it's because actual effort had to go into the set pieces, lot of setup, timing, using all the tricks in book.

Yeah they all seemed like a bigger spectacle, but it also seems like most media from the 90s were bigger cultural touchstones. I'm not sure if it's just an age thing and they seemed that way because I was a kid/teenager, or if it's the effect of the internet and streaming diluting everything.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Randarkman posted:

Of course not, it's 100% of the way to a perfect movie.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mobby_6kl posted:

Of course not, it's 100% of the way to a perfect movie.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I know a lot of people like the memes from it, including the one from that church choir scene. But the way he gropes the rear end of that one singer chick who is probably supposed to be underage, and gets off to it in public - that scene always creeped me out and felt really tasteless, like if you wanna prove a guy is a sex pest criminal there's probably better ways to show that, or even just tell it without making me watch someone get molested

Even back in like 1997 or whatever I was like "ew, why did they just show that, that was weird"

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Toxic Mental posted:

I know a lot of people like the memes from it, including the one from that church choir scene. But the way he gropes the rear end of that one singer chick who is probably supposed to be underage, and gets off to it in public - that scene always creeped me out and felt really tasteless, like if you wanna prove a guy is a sex pest criminal there's probably better ways to show that, or even just tell it without making me watch someone get molested

Even back in like 1997 or whatever I was like "ew, why did they just show that, that was weird"

The movie opens with a kid getting shot to death, lol.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
*weeping*

i am castor troy

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Edmund Sparkler posted:

The movie opens with a kid getting shot to death, lol.

That's very traditional American though, so it's ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Biohazard posted:

Yeah and that's actually a huge distinction, because CGI gets a bad rap because it's often rushed in post production, put on the shoulders of some poor sap making poo poo money compared to the rest of the industry they work in, and wasn't accounted for appropriately by the film crew during shooting.

What's kind of crazy is how as that industry evolves, blockbusters are just moving towards entire movies being CG, and eventually the actors themselves won't really be on screen, it'll be motion capture like they do in video games. They already replace 90% of the actor in those marvel movies and just keep the face there during non action moments.

You can sort of see where Disney is going with some of this stuff, having Mark Hamill in the Mandalorian season 2 and BOBF where they are getting better at blending CGI replacement and then using deepfake stuff. Once they get it good enough they'll have a whole Luke Skywalker TV show or series of movies, and just use his likeness. For Disney though, the obvious eventual goal is to just get away from having to pay expensive actors to do their projects, and instead be able to just have lowly paid performers doing mocap for their movies. Actors are able to get paid such ludicrous salaries because they are recognizable, but if you take that away, anyone performer can play any character, so they'll just pay lease amount they can to get it, and keep all the money for themselves.

Whatever though, I don't feel bad for the robert downey jrs of the world.

Hopefully that will be the final nail in the coffin for the whole superhero genre if not Disney itself.