Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you have children
Yes
No
View Results

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Without kids Leonardo DiCaprio will have no-one to date in 25 years and die alone :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

how else are we supposed to increase the GDP year after year?

robots maybe. or robot children.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I need to have kids to pass on my gaming knowledge and skills

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
to fix the envirement

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I don't really plan on having a kid but if I do you bet I'm going to go back to college for another degree so I can spend 4 years derailing 15 minutes of each hour lecture I'm in with a parenthood anecdote that has nothing to do with the subject matter. I would like roughly one quarter of student loan debt to have paid for my rambling that begins with "as a parent".

surc
Aug 17, 2004

there are like 153 million orphans out there you should probably adopt a kid if you want to be a parent

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Pittbulls across the world will go hungry.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
No

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
It's like getting a macaw or a cockatoo... don't get one. If you've seriously examined what they'll do to your life, and still really really want one, then look into it, but I would still recommend against it unless you really know what you're doing. And if you still want one, you should probably try fostering one for a while to see what you're getting into. If you *still* want one, it would be better to get an existing one that needs a home rather than having one specially made for you.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I don't think I'll ever have kids due to a bunch of factors mostly out of my control. I haven't completely decided against it necessarily but I highly doubt it will happen. But what if one of my eggs would be the person that would solve global warming or cure cancer? Really makes u think

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
It would be pretty cool to have kids I could teach them how to post good

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

honestly it feels like either the internet or SA is anti-kid due to climate change/poverty/life succing. but i never hear this in real life. maybe my age group is just getting kid-anxious. i think its a valid choice but ill probably have kids due to a partner wanting them. and like who will i leave my trash treasures to when i die?

A bunch of shut ins making their celibacy a noble anime anti-hero cause. Hmm.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

nope

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I pay like 3 grand a month for daycare for two and haven't had a real vacation in 4 years. I guess part of that is covid and the other part of it is America.

This might be is the worst country in the first world to raise a family.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The state pays me about 100€ a month for each. You can feed a kid with maybe 15€. 85€ pure profit

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

honestly it feels like either the internet or SA is anti-kid due to climate change/poverty/life succing. but i never hear this in real life. maybe my age group is just getting kid-anxious.

Is your age group millennial? I'm 35 and almost everyone I know irl who doesn't want kids cites climate change/COVID/the general bleakness of the future as a reason. Not feeling culturally obligated to have/want them is increasingly common too.

quote:

i think its a valid choice but ill probably have kids due to a partner wanting them. and like who will i leave my trash treasures to when i die?

Speaking of which, I've gotten the "what if you meet your dream guy and he wants kids?" question so many times, like wanting kids couldn't possibly be a huge dealbreaker, lol.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Every kid you don't have is one less potential future Hitler. You're making us all proud, keep fighting the good fight :patriot:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Don't want give TMI but I have a lot of things wrong with me, mental health wise (Treatment Resistant Depression, Bipolar 2, Severe Anxiety, Complex Trauma) I've battled the majority of my life. I know it's no guarantee it will be inherited but my dad had similar demons that both me an my brother inherited (I got the brunt). That with family history of Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, colon cancer, and breast cancer, I don't feel great about it.

That's not even mentioning the world becoming increasingly hostel to human life sooner than we think, and I just can't feel good bringing someone into that suffering. Maybe if I find a partner I can't live without and she wants a child, I'd compromise.

Also Fatherhood is scary, plus I have psoriasis (ewww) and no one wants that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you want a kid have em, if you dont dont. any reasoning beyond that feels like its just self-justification tbh.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Generational poverty and mental health issues? No thanks

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I've gone thru a lot of crap this last year. My kid helps make it liveable.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
When my husband's sister got pregnant I was pretty apprehensive about having a kid. I gotta say though, it is pretty awesome. As a hobby, it consumes all your time and your money but that's having a serious hobby. Watching them grow and change and become their own person is incredibly fun and you really get what you put into it. If I paint a miniature, I've got a painted miniature. With a kid it's so much more!

There is a reason people keep on doing it beyond "sex feels good". Having a kid is a lot of fun! It's also a fuckton of work, but isn't everything?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

honestly it feels like either the internet or SA is anti-kid due to climate change/poverty/life succing. but i never hear this in real life. maybe my age group is just getting kid-anxious. i think its a valid choice but ill probably have kids due to a partner wanting them. and like who will i leave my trash treasures to when i die?

I hear all the same stuff pretty regularly from irl acquaintances who... have kids. People who had a baby a year or two ago for whom every conversation inevitably turns to how they're gonna be subsistence farming in a decade, relatives who will bitch about their pre-k then want you to help them comparison shop land to build a bunker on. Turns out people say all kinds of poo poo and it only minimally has any bearing on what they end up doing. Also turns out I've got one of those faces that says "tell me about the end of the world"

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 8, 2022

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm hedging my bets that my smart watch will soon be able to call the ambulance and/or restart my heart and administer the appropriate drugs when i have a heart attack or stroke in the middle of the night.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
im going to do my part for alleviating overpopulation by dying childless

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'm hedging my bets that my smart watch will soon be able to call the ambulance and/or restart my heart and administer the appropriate drugs when i have a heart attack or stroke in the middle of the night.

this is a pretty good bet

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Methanar posted:

im going to do my part for alleviating overpopulation by dying childless

this is a pretty good bet

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
If you are supremely selfish, you can always use 'social pressure' as an excuse for your really stupid decision to have a kid.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
You know the "carnivore" thing where they're like "for everyone animal you don't eat I'll eat two?"

I'm gonna do that, but aborting the kids.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
With the amount of mental health issues, negative traits and characteristics every generation of my family has had (including myself), it would be pretty irresponsible and downright cruel to bring someone new to suffer through the same poo poo. And no, it's not me who's going to "break the cycle", too late for that. We all know that things always carry on to the next generation no matter how you promise to be the one to change things around.
That's not even counting all the future hell world scenarios they'd have to live with. No thanks.

not trolled not crying fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 8, 2022

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
how do you even find somebody willing to have children with these days

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I became a dad 3 months ago. Love this little dude. Doesn't do much aside from eat, sleep, poop/pee, cry and smile. Adorable little thing, though. I always looked forward to starting a family. My wife also wanted a kid. So here we are. Not much more thought than that.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So you have someone to care about you and visit you in the nursing home once a year OP.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
One of the cool things about the modern world is that a child is a choice. I like the whole "openness to the unbidden" argument on an intellectual level but the people espousing it do not share my communist values. The ultra wealthy are more likely to talk about the negative impact of inbreeding on the NYT opinion section, what can you do?

So we as a civilized society have made children a choice. And what a great choice to have! Wanted children are awesome. The problem is when children aren't a choice, then they can become a burden. That's bad for all parties.

Thankfully we live in enlightened times or at least work for Enlightened companies where we are allowed Rational decisions.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
setup a family trust and evade tax by using your kids

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I probably have like a million unknown children from the much sex I've had, because I have a lot of sex as a rampant sex haver. It's true, I've done the sex many times, and must have had like a billion babies by this point.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

syntaxfunction posted:

You know the "carnivore" thing where they're like "for everyone animal you don't eat I'll eat two?"

I'm gonna do that, but aborting the kids.

Idk won't work for most goons, god can only do so many immaculate conceptions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
no checkbox poll voted 1