Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The unexpected follow-up to 2010's The Tatami Galaxy, The Tatami Time Machine Blues finds everyone's favorite self-centered college student in another timeline related pickle.

Tatami Time Machine Blues is an adaptation of Tomihiko Morimi's sequel novel to the original, itself an adaptation of Makoto Ueda's 2001 play Summer Time Machine Blues. Whereas the original anime was directed by Masaaki Yuasa for Madhouse, Yuasa's own studio Science SARU takes over production duties, and as Yuasa himself is on a sabbatical, directing duties have been put upon Shingo Natsume of One Punch Man and Sonny Boy fame.

The anime takes place on one hot midsummer day. The protagonist, now in his third year, has moved into the only apartment in his building with an air conditioner. Due to an unfortunate series of events (read: Ozu), a bottle of Coke was spilled onto the AC unit's remote, rendering it useless. As the two discuss with Akashi, they find what appears to be a time machine in the apartment building's closet. What follows is a journey through time to retrieve the AC unit's remote.

The anime is currently streaming weekly on Disney+ Hotstar, with official English subs available. The series will air six episodes over 5 weeks, with a theatrical compilation of the first five episodes being released at the end of September and the sixth episode being exclusive to streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My memory is hazy about the original but I have started to watch this. Feels less consequential but fun.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ccs posted:

My memory is hazy about the original but I have started to watch this. Feels less consequential but fun.

The original covered a much longer timespan in a given episode, with the protagonist's entire college life fitting into one episode most of the time, ending with his regrets and going back to the first day. Here, it's all in one summer vacation. Add in a lower episode count, and it seems like things will be more one big incident than the glorious series of calamities in the original. Should be a good time.

(Also, given the nature of time travel as displayed so far, I'm going to bet that Watashi already Lars'd himself vis a vis Akashi.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

And with one episode to go (before the bonus episode, anyway), it's pretty clear how this was meant to be a movie. Irregular (and short) episode lengths form a fun but breezy story where everything comes back where it came from (natural for a time travel story), which works better when you watch everything at once than when you have weeks to speculate.

Still a good time, and the bonus episode may be enough to ignore any issues, but right now I'd recommend waiting for the movie to be available.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Big fan of the original series, never expected it would get a sequel. I thought the first couple episodes were a little slow, but I thought it's really started to come together from episode three on. It's been bloody beautiful the whole way, though.

Thanks for starting this thread Waffleman, I never even knew this was happening!

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Wonderful way to revisit all these characters, the show has all these dizzying ways of fitting everybody into frame and it's addictive to watch. Based Tamura, Akashi and Ozu. Gonna remember the last lil bit of the penultimate ep for some time.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 13, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-11-08/hulu-streams-tatami-time-machine-blues-anime/.191697

It's coming to Hulu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
Definitely looking forward to this! Watched the original series a LONG time ago and it made a lasting impression on me.