Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
You used to be able to run both Edge Legacy and Edge Chromium by enabling the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\: Allowsxs (DWORD) set to 1

After the April 2021 update (19041.928), Edge Legacy was forcibly removed.

Someone figured out that if you copied the contents of the Edge Legacy application folder from either a backup of the March 2021 update (19041.867) or from a March 2021 ISO, you could run Edge Legacy again:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mshig6/restoring_edge_legacy_after_april_2021_update/

Somewhere between April 2021 and December 2021, that no longer worked. Edge Legacy exits immediately after launching it.

Here's where I'm at:

I'm on Windows 10 Pro x64 2004. I was on version 19041.630 (November 2020 update). I went to version 19041.1415 (December 2021 update).

Obviously, I lost Edge Legacy.

I uninstalled Edge Chromium:

Command prompt at:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\83.0.478.64\Installer\

Run:
setup.exe --uninstall --system-level --force-uninstall

I added the regisry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\: Allowsxs (DWORD) set to 1

I copied the Edge Legacy program files back from the final published version from Microsoft (March 2021 update):

Delete:
C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdgeDevToolsClient_8wekyb3d8bbwe

March 2021 ISO:
https://isofiles.bd581e55.workers.d...vd_2d7423d8.iso

Open .iso in WinRAR, extract:
sources\install.wim

Open install.wim in 7zip, extract:
1\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
1\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdgeDevToolsClient_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Copy the above two folders to:
C:\Windows\SystemApps\

I reset the packages (restores default settings):

Delete:
C:\Users\[USERID]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
C:\Users\[USERID]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdgeDevToolsClient_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Run PowerShell commands:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdgeDevToolsClient | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}

That's all I can think to do. Edge Legacy does not run, it exits immediately after launching.

Here's an x64dbg log:
https://pastebin.com/R45sXGit

Is there some way to run Edge Legacy on a more recent version of Windows (such as the one that I'm on - 19041.1415) that I might be missing, such as a command line parameter or switch, a registry key, or a local policy? Or is it simply not possible to run Edge Legacy on more recent versions of Windows 10 or 11?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU