Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

All the work Guybrush put into finding the secret is nothing compared to what you've put into this LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I was going to wait until the end to do the trivia cards but I'm glad that I didn't as it was more time-consuming than I thought it was going to be. I started this thread on the day of release and Steam has logged over 78 hours of play time, every minute of which has been for the LP. I'm not burnt out on the game just yet, I'm going to complete the game one more time with the Writer's cut enabled and I'll also record the secret island during that playthrough. But I do feel like I won't be returning to this game for a very long time after this LP is over. I'm only missing two achievements at the moment, one is for speed-running the game and the other is for visiting the secret island.

Bonus Content - Trivia Cards

I decided from the start that I was going to cover all bases with the trivia cards by recording every answer and taking screenshots afterwards. The questions are multiple-choice and I thought that some people would like to see the complete question and answer cards in full, so I've provided them here:

Trivia Cards - Video - This is the edited video of all 100 trivia cards. Each trivia card segment is eleven seconds long with a thirty-second image with text to explain more about one of the cards. The text image also has a surprise piece of music from one of the previous games.
Trivia Cards - Imgur Gallery - These are all of the screenshots taken from the 100 trivia card videos. I did have more written in the descriptions but when I published the gallery they re-ordered the images for some reason. It's getting late so I'll leave the gallery as it is for now.

Edit: I forgot to include the explanation text in the gallery and I've already switched everything off.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 8, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I've replayed through Act I with the Writer's Cut turned on and I haven't noticed a whole lot of extra content. I'm not sure if I'm missing some throwaway lines or not but most of what I've been double-checking has just turned out to be lines that we've heard before. I've found four pieces of content so far:

A couple of extra lines of dialogue with the Scurvydog Vendor in the prelude.
A couple of extra lines with the Lookout in the opening dialogue to Act I.
The ex-Pirate Leaders hanging around in Low Town in Act I.
A couple of extra lines with Wally in Act I admitting that he is the one responsible for all of the graffiti around the place.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 10, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I misspoke last night as I had finished Act I and not Act II. I've played through Act II & III this morning and have found a few more scenes. I respect the developer's decision to release the game in any manner they wish, but I haven't found anything that would detract too much compared to a regular playthrough. I am going off the beaten track to hunt for more content but I'm not doing a completely thorough run-through as I did with the original hunt for additional content, so I will most likely be missing content.

Scenes found in Act II:

Additional lines with Murray when you're about to put him into the pot.
A couple of additional lines with Boybrush straight afterwards.
New dialogue and dialogue choices after Guybrush reveals his plans to the crew.
New dialogue and dialogue choices after Guybrush throws his eyepatch into the air.

I only found one change in Act III:

After Guybrush is kicked off the cliff, there are some inconsequential dialogue choices of pain with a reworked speech from LeChuck with a couple of new lines.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Thank you for playing through this in such detail and posting it. I played the original Monkey Island as a kid and loved it, played the sequel and loved it up until the last chapter, which confused me, and hated the ending and thought it made no sense whatsoever. Never played the other subsequent games.

I guess the beginning of this one kinda-sorta redeems the ending of Monkey Island 2 but...I hate the ending of this one too :sigh: It's not confusing, I guess, but to me it absolutely falls flat and disappoints.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Kylaer posted:

Thank you for playing through this in such detail and posting it. I played the original Monkey Island as a kid and loved it, played the sequel and loved it up until the last chapter, which confused me, and hated the ending and thought it made no sense whatsoever. Never played the other subsequent games.

I guess the beginning of this one kinda-sorta redeems the ending of Monkey Island 2 but...I hate the ending of this one too :sigh: It's not confusing, I guess, but to me it absolutely falls flat and disappoints.

Have you played Curse Of Monkey Island? That might be more up your galley.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Cogg Island was originally meant to be in the game but they cut it due to time issues. They still kept the remnants of it in the game and it can be accessed after completing the game and after finding trivia card #82. If you find the card before completing the game you will be presented with four incorrect answers. One of the answers will change to a random set of coordinates after you have completed the game, so if it's already in your trivia book you can reload a save game or start a new game and collect the trivia book again. If it's not in your trivia book then good luck in hunting for it. You can only reach Cogg Island in Part IV when you have access to the Sea Monkey II and the sea map.

This video includes an introductory text on how to access the island, the trivia card in question and a quick jaunt around the island. The only thing to interact with on the island is a sign in the middle of it giving a short welcome to the island. There are several are five areas in total that can be visited on the island that have background scenery and animation and nothing else. It seems like they initially had bigger plans for the golden keys. Maybe one day we will get a Director's Cut of the game?

Cogg Island

As you can see I've been replaying Part IV again. I'm about a quarter of the way through it and I haven't found any extra material as of yet, I'll work on it some more tomorrow. I'm hoping to have a final video for this LP up on Monday.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh that's awesome. I had some thoughts along the way on stuff that might have been cut down but I never thought to look up behind the scenes information, and I had no idea there was a whole missing island. It's also funny that it's underwater, I wonder if there was some puzzle related to that in the original plans or if they just did that because of how they hid accessing the easter egg.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've completed Part IV again as a normal playthrough and I've only found one new piece of content. I found a couple of extra lines with Stan and nothing else. Either there isn't much to find or I've missed lines through choices or ones that are very easy to miss. I'll try to work my way through Part V tonight.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh that's awesome. I had some thoughts along the way on stuff that might have been cut down but I never thought to look up behind the scenes information, and I had no idea there was a whole missing island. It's also funny that it's underwater, I wonder if there was some puzzle related to that in the original plans or if they just did that because of how they hid accessing the easter egg.

My thoughts were that they sunk it underwater for the purposes of the Easter egg as it's rather a large island with several areas to visit. No doubt there would have been characters to talk to, things to interact with and puzzles to solve.

We have met mermaids before but the island is covered in trees and has a beach area.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Additional Content - Writer's Cut

This video contains all of the extra content that I found with the Writer's Cut enabled. These were all found during a normal playthrough and it's very likely that I've missed content. I was thorough in the playthrough but I didn't experiment or explore different options as I did in the additional content videos for the main playthrough. These are the scenes that I found and have included

Scurvydog Vendor - The vendor has a couple of extra lines when you ask him for a Scurvydog.
Men of Low Moral Fiber - The ex-Pirate Leaders can be found in Low Town in Part I.
Lookout - The Lookout has some extra dialogue when you first arrive on the island. (I probably should have put this clip before the Chums, I recorded this afterwards and didn't think about it at the time)
Wally - Wally has a couple of extra lines.
Murray - Guybrush and Murray have a short conversation before you put him in the pot.
Boybrush - Shortly after Murray is put into the put you have an interlude with Boybrush where he says a couple of extra lines.
Flambe - Flambe has more dialogue after you spot Madison and her crew through the spyglass.
The Crew - There are some new dialogue and dialogue options when you discuss the new plans with the crew.
Guybrush Uncovered - There are some new dialogue and dialogue choices after Guybrush throws his eyepatch into the air and uncovers himself.
LeChuck's Speech - Some new, and very minor, dialogue choices after Guybrush has been kicked off of the cliff. LeChuck's speech has also been reworked slightly too.
The Chums - When you visit The Cod's Wallop there are a couple of new lines of dialogue. One of them is linked to when you spoke to them in Low Street, the other I believe is new as I didn't see it appear in the main playthrough.
Stan - Stan has a couple of extra lines of dialogue when you speak to him about how your quest is going.
Elaine - Elaine questions Guybrush about the mop tree at the beginning of Part V.

That is it for this LP. Thank you all for being a part of it! I've absolutely loved doing this LP but after 87.5 hours I think that I'm ready to move on. This single-player adventure game has now become 16th in the longest playtime in my Steam Library, it's an hour short of beating XCOM: Enemy Unknown which I have completed twice. Although it will probably top it soon as I want to get the final achievement of beating the game in under two hours, but that will come at a later date as I'm going to take a break from Monkey Island for a while. It's been a real joy playing Return To Monkey Island and I enjoyed every minute of it!

I'm not sure which game is going to be next, I think that the next couple of LPs are going to be ones that aren't so intensive. This has been a very content-heavy LP and I jumped straight into it while finishing off The Space Bar which was another content-heavy game that needed a lot of time invested in it. Plus it's the holidays coming up and the school holidays will be starting up soon. I'm tempted to give Bud Tucker In Double Trouble and Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist an airing. There are about fifty games in the backlog at the moment and I keep having to stop myself from adding more.

Thank you, everyone, for being part of this LP in any capacity. It's been an absolute pleasure!

RBD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That's a crazy amount of time, and there's been way more to go through than I would've guessed in terms of optional stuff and differences between runs. Thanks again for going through it all, it's been a great follow!