Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I seriously wonder that. They get annihilated constantly and just rebuild.

Two weeks after Ian and everything was pretty normal, unless you lived in a mobile home or on a barrier island. Restore electricity and cable and roll on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I would imagine that Florida is one of the big reasons that my insurances is up 1,000 miles away. (up as in insurance is very expensive for everything all the time)

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I would imagine that Florida is one of the big reasons that my insurances is up 1,000 miles away. (up as in insurance is very expensive for everything all the time)

If you don't live in Florida but your insurance company operates there (many don't) find a new insurance company immediately.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

big nipples big life posted:

If you don't live in Florida but your insurance company operates there (many don't) find a new insurance company immediately.

There are a whole lot of national insurance companies.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

none of the national big names would give me quotes, they all left this area a decade ago or more. last time i talked to an insurance agent there was exactly one company aside from citizens insurance (the state backed insurer of last resort) that would write a policy, and they’re a FL company based in tampa.

it’s probably different once you’re 10-20 miles inland though. the major risks are right on the coast, particularly the gulf coast that floods like crazy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

There are a whole lot of national insurance companies.
Not operating in Florida if they know what's good for them.

Florida's insurance bottom line remains the Fed's backstop behind a bunch of pyramid scheme reinsurances. If you're insurance is going up outside Florida it's because guess what you have a poo poo ton of climate risk now too.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Bad Purchase posted:

welp, there went power, right in the middle of making food

seems to be just my little block again like last time, i still see lights on on the other side of the circle i’m on, and the corner gas station as well

Run a cord down there and plug your house into a Tesla charger.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bad Purchase posted:

none of the national big names would give me quotes, they all left this area a decade ago or more. last time i talked to an insurance agent there was exactly one company aside from citizens insurance (the state backed insurer of last resort) that would write a policy, and they’re a FL company based in tampa.

it’s probably different once you’re 10-20 miles inland though. the major risks are right on the coast, particularly the gulf coast that floods like crazy.

Progressive is there. :shrug:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

not in my zip code, at least not for homeowners insurance which is the one florida fucks with the worst

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Bad Purchase posted:

welp, there went power, right in the middle of making food

seems to be just my little block again like last time, i still see lights on on the other side of the circle i’m on, and the corner gas station as well

rip

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

West Palm here. So far the weather has been in between "let's take the 4 wheeler out to the swamp pond" and "if you're scared that easy go back inside."

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

I seriously wonder that. They get annihilated constantly and just rebuild.

sea temperatures did not used to be this bad and in particular the rate of warming in the last 15-20 years has been extreme relative to the 20th century.

Also current state of sea surface temps

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

kinda weird storm so far, it’s breezy but the sustained winds aren’t that high and the rain has been very light compared to most storms i’ve been through. but we’re getting frequent sharp gusts that shake the walls, so there’s quite a bit of power behind it. also heard 2 explosions in the past hour, probably transformers blowing.

haven’t quite reached the peak yet. might even get a brush from the north eye bands in 2-3 hours as it turns to the northwest. wish i had an anemometer, some of these gusts sound and feel just as strong as what we got from ian. highest local recording i found from that one was about 85mph, won’t be at all surprised if this turns out similar.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-w-pdqwiBw

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

storm wobbled a bit north and i did end up catching a bit of the eyewall last night. winds got very intense from about 3am to 6am. unlike previous storms i’ve been through, my cellular signal went completely dead too, and remained out all morning except for a few brief windows where it was up for a few minutes before going out again.

seeing some minor damage and a lot of tree limbs down, but mostly unscathed. other than no power still of course.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bad Purchase posted:

storm wobbled a bit north and i did end up catching a bit of the eyewall last night. winds got very intense from about 3am to 6am. unlike previous storms i’ve been through, my cellular signal went completely dead too, and remained out all morning except for a few brief windows where it was up for a few minutes before going out again.

seeing some minor damage and a lot of tree limbs down, but mostly unscathed. other than no power still of course.

Weird how that happened immediately after DeSantis was re-elected.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Herstory Begins Now posted:

sea temperatures did not used to be this bad and in particular the rate of warming in the last 15-20 years has been extreme relative to the 20th century.

Also current state of sea surface temps

thisisfine.jpg but Sebastian from The Little Mermaid

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Apparently there is a tropical disturbance in sub tropical Atlantic with 40% of development, still expected to not touch land. How often have weather systems of this nature actually developed into something significant after the "official end" of hurricane seasons in the past?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dick Bastardly posted:

Apparently there is a tropical disturbance in sub tropical Atlantic with 40% of development, still expected to not touch land. How often have weather systems of this nature actually developed into something significant after the "official end" of hurricane seasons in the past?

100% of the time but the gulfstream media changes the previous broadcasts