Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

There's his new profile pic. Red text "Literacy Means Citizenship"

Shame we may not see it since he seems to have not decided to rebuy his account yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Can I rebuy his account and restrict his posting to this thread?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

CainFortea posted:

Sounds like a good time for you to reread it and report back!

I do remember thinking Johnnie seemed like a bit of a dink. Just a general memory impression. I'll see if I can hunt down my copy; it's in a box somewhere from when my wife and I split.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Funny enough, I literally gave my copy away tonight.

The audio book is on YouTube. OP had no excuse.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

Funny enough, I literally gave my copy away tonight.

The audio book is on YouTube. OP had no excuse.

Not only is it on YouTube, I literally linked the archive.org posts with the book, including full text.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

Can I rebuy his account and restrict his posting to this thread?

Seconding. I’ll fund this poo poo too.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Don't throw your money away, he can email the mods and ask nicely to complete his challenge

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

M_Gargantua posted:

Don't throw your money away, he can email the mods and ask nicely to complete his challenge

sir/ma'am/whatever you identify as, I'm literally scheming to donate an espresso machine+fridge to the student government lounge just so I can stash "MY poo poo" there and have ready access to espresso and cappuccinos and poo poo like that. gently caress starbucks. I've spent/earmarked funds for more frivolous things than this.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

TheWeedNumber posted:

sir/ma'am/whatever you identify as, I'm literally scheming to donate an espresso machine+fridge to the student government lounge just so I can stash "MY poo poo" there and have ready access to espresso and cappuccinos and poo poo like that. gently caress starbucks. I've spent/earmarked funds for more frivolous things than this.

It will be hosed up beyond repair inside a month. Unless there is a grad student lounge or some kind you’re honestly better off making friends with the college facilities team and seeing if you can donate to them and the staff lounge. Less likely to be hosed up, more likely to be taken care of. It’s also a way of reminding them they are seen by some of the students and tap into their useful knowledge.

This thread did make me add rereading ST to my list but it’s behind some other things.

It also jarred loose a memory that the there was a ST animated show that I think hewed closer to the book. My lasting impression of the show was that grunts frequently didn’t get the whole picture and while that frustrated them, it did not prevent them from doing their duty and how alien that was to (and still is) to me. I need to see, comprehend, and buy into the big picture in order to be effective.

Oh an the animated show had skinnies. It’s what got me to read the book as I didn’t know about them before.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Nystral posted:

It will be hosed up beyond repair inside a month. Unless there is a grad student lounge or some kind you’re honestly better off making friends with the college facilities team and seeing if you can donate to them and the staff lounge. Less likely to be hosed up, more likely to be taken care of. It’s also a way of reminding them they are seen by some of the students and tap into their useful knowledge.

This thread did make me add rereading ST to my list but it’s behind some other things.

It also jarred loose a memory that the there was a ST animated show that I think hewed closer to the book. My lasting impression of the show was that grunts frequently didn’t get the whole picture and while that frustrated them, it did not prevent them from doing their duty and how alien that was to (and still is) to me. I need to see, comprehend, and buy into the big picture in order to be effective.

Oh an the animated show had skinnies. It’s what got me to read the book as I didn’t know about them before.

Starship Troopers: Roughneck Chronicles. One of the earlier CGI animated shows. There have been 2 anime- one in the 70s/80s, and another mid 2010s called ST:Invasion.

The old one has pacing issues but pretty much follows the book. The Armor designs are amazing in in.
Invasion is set during the Bug War and a different unit, but power armor.
Then there are the movie sequels- including Traitor of Mars, which combines the Invasion anime with the movie universe.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

"Citizenship is an attitude, a state of mind, an emotional conviction that the whole is greater than the part- and the part should be humbly proud to sacrifice itself so that the whole may live." -LtC Dubois, MI, Retired.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

My favorite ST movie theory is that the bugs didn’t send the asteroid; the military scapegoated them for planetary defense loving up and not detecting it. In the movie, bugs only attack humans when they’re bug planets. Also NPH’s psychic powers are fake (Nazis loved that poo poo) and nothing of value was obtained by capturing the brain bug.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Nystral posted:

Oh bet, I'm definitely doing this. Thanks for the advice.

E: This look like the right department? https://www.qc.cuny.edu/bg/meet-the-team/

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 22, 2023

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

TheWeedNumber posted:

The full auto espresso machines take up a significant amount of our cadet's time and efforts in a department of 8 people. They're finicky, fragile, and honestly fairly mediocre.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

slurm posted:

The full auto espresso machines take up a significant amount of our cadet's time and efforts in a department of 8 people. They're finicky, fragile, and honestly fairly mediocre.

Aren’t you restricted from posting in this subforum? Please gently caress off.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

TheWeedNumber posted:

Aren’t you restricted from posting in this subforum? Please gently caress off.

Leave the modding to me please.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

McNally posted:

Leave the modding to me please.

I was about to edit my post and be like "correction, you are not banned from this subforum. However please gently caress off anyway."

Anyway, since we're all here, go on and suck my dick from the back slurm.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

TheWeedNumber posted:

Oh bet, I'm definitely doing this. Thanks for the advice.

E: This look like the right department? https://www.qc.cuny.edu/bg/meet-the-team/

Yes.

You’re probably going to have to get approval but I’d start with Nadia Jones or the Helpdesk person I forget. You’ll need to charm them and put in the effort.

If that fails you may have luck with the HVAC shop guys. They may prove to be part of the university’s E-4 mafia equivalent.

An alternative would be to see if your college has a Grad TA room / lounge and see if they can accommodate you. This may be better for your academia career as it butters up folk in your college.

But basically what I’m saying is keep it away from undergrads as IME college is just year 13-16 of high school and people still aren’t the greatest at respecting other’s stuff.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

If this follows the usual pattern, just as debate on Starship Troopers starts to play out, someone will want to talk about John Steakley's Armor.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Then we can move onto The Forever War.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Then we can move onto The Forever War.

I read that around the same time as Starship Troopers, and I've got good impressions of Forever War.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
For me, the path was reading Weber and Ringo and Flint as a Teen, then reading SST, then briefly getting into Peter F Hamilton and then getting the gently caress out of that, and now (and still) being really into David Drake, especially the Slammers.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Nystral posted:

Yes.

You’re probably going to have to get approval but I’d start with Nadia Jones or the Helpdesk person I forget. You’ll need to charm them and put in the effort.

If that fails you may have luck with the HVAC shop guys. They may prove to be part of the university’s E-4 mafia equivalent.

An alternative would be to see if your college has a Grad TA room / lounge and see if they can accommodate you. This may be better for your academia career as it butters up folk in your college.

But basically what I’m saying is keep it away from undergrads as IME college is just year 13-16 of high school and people still aren’t the greatest at respecting other’s stuff.

I’m gonna have to risk the undergrads. HOWEVER I just convinced the QC chapter of NYPIRG, an activist organization to hold it down for me. The project coordinators will keep it going for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlx_ahISyTw&list=LL&index=16