Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scuba Trooper

I do not care for the idea of Barney Rubble “snarling”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

Scuba Trooper posted:

I do not care for the idea of Barney Rubble “snarling”

in the world of The Bedrock Connection, people rarely just say anything, apparently. they snarl it, retort it, exclaim it, growl it, snap it, and so on.

ty nesamdoom!

google THIS

"This is dumb," sneered Barney.

"No you're dumb," growled Fred.

"No you're dumb!" roared Barney.

"No YOU'RE

Stoner Sloth

Manifisto posted:

in the world of The Bedrock Connection, people rarely just say anything, apparently. they snarl it, retort it, exclaim it, growl it, snap it, and so on.

at least take comfort in the small mercy that no one has ejaculated anything yet

Manifisto

Stoner Sloth posted:

at least take comfort in the small mercy that no one has ejaculated anything yet

nervously anticipating The Bedrock Connection II: Bedrock After Dark

ty nesamdoom!

idiotsavant

Stoner Sloth posted:

who says they haven't :wink:

Drink-Mix Man

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The Bed/Rock Connection

teen witch
I was curious about the author and now will be suing him

google THIS

teen witch posted:

sorry Stoner Sloth :sympathy:

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Why would witches even need all that jizzle?

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

teen witch

Saoshyant posted:

Why would witches even need all that jizzle?

Come up and ask me sometime

Manifisto

teen witch posted:

I secretly sort of love it when extended universe authors can't be bothered to actually investigate the source material and just crank out whatever they feel like writing with only the barest nods to the original property. something about tthat level of contempt/laziness really speaks to me I guess.

ty nesamdoom!

google THIS

"You want to borrow a cup of what?!" exclaimed Fred.

"I don't like this," Barney scowled.

"I do," said Betty.

google THIS

Jizzle Dinosaur: Eh, it's a living

Twenty Four

Manifisto posted:

I secretly sort of love it when extended universe authors can't be bothered to actually investigate the source material and just crank out whatever they feel like writing with only the barest nods to the original property. something about tthat level of contempt/laziness really speaks to me I guess.

I think this is a large part of the general take on byob lol

BoldFrankensteinMir

drat, a warrant-less search of every house in the city. I had no idea Bedrock's laws were so... oh, right. They're cave people. All this talk of metallurgy and centralized banks and cargo trucks, it's easy to forget, law hasn't been invented yet. Police, yes, and crime sure, but laws, no. I really kind of hate thinking of the Grand Poobah of the Water Buffalo lodge as a neanderthal warlord who can declare prima nocta but this is where we're at. God help us.

I'll saddle up your dinosaur.

Never mind that Fred's industrial sauropod at work has been shown consistently as having not a saddle but a howdah:

Literally for decades, with remarkable consistency.

I'm starting to think the author vaguely remembered seeing one episode of The Flintstones on with no sound at a bar, or maybe it was someone else recalling it to him, he can't be sure. gently caress this stupid book I hate it. How is there still so much of it left, what child would read this...

Please please no more angry Barneys, I can't take it. I want to remember him smiling on a sippy cup, not scowling in chipped paperback. Maybe I need angry Flintstones shot glasses to remind myself of the sad truth of our harsh reality, shortly before forgetting again. Glug.

Good entry to the "draw the Flintstones from memory with absolutely no reference" thread. Did they ride dinosaurs like horses? Kinda? Whatever who cares, we just have to get through this mess.

Oh good Wilma is now an accomplice. She doesn't get any lines in but she does get some crimes in. They're a regular stone age Bonnie & Clyde (Bonie and... Club?), I hope the police don't shoot their rock-a-car up in an ambush with twenty automatic woodpeckers.

Dammit Mad Barney you're killing me here. And no, The Flintstones The Bedrock Connection, I refuse to buy this last minute revelation as some kind of mystery story. Of course the bad guys wanted you to take the heat, that's why they're paying you. What did you think, the smugglers would rush to your aid hiding their contraband? How, by asking someone else to hide it? Think, Barney, think, if you're gonna be a criminal monster at least be a smart criminal monster. I expect more out of you and Fred than to be stone-age Cory and Trevor.

No, no don't do it! How can there be an antique coin store in Bedrock if...

California. New York. Not stone-age versions of them, just the modern places. Even just their names are enough to suggest enormous histories, which we can now assume had stone-age equivalents. Cavemen named Stone New York after old Stone York Town (I can't even bring myself to just call them New York and California, the writer in me immediately says "they're supposed to be stone puns" on autopilot. Calciumfornia and... Oldest York?).

This is the point where I guess I have to relent, The Flintstones is clearly post-apocalyptic. Fred Flintstone is about to uncover a Shi plot to kidnap Snake Plisskin, thank goodness the Beforetimes Munny collector in Bedrock traded him the info for a tank of liquified pig methane and tickets to thunderdome. They say Blaster's new master is a kid that just yells Bam!

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

jesus i have read many novels that build up twists and turns over thousands of pages and few revelations have hit me as hard as "new york"

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

teen witch
fan theory: the flintstones, in the canon of the books, is in a Village-like sitch. remember - a modern Stone Age family

baka of lathspell

do you think 9/11 happened and it was two giant monoliths collapsing

BoldFrankensteinMir

teen witch posted:

fan theory: the flintstones, in the canon of the books, is in a Village-like sitch. remember - a modern Stone Age family

drat, its' highly possible. Maybe Bedrock is the failed free-thinking community that Mustapha Mond was talking about. No matter how many times they run the experiment it's like the community takes a bowling ball to the head and forgets what it is...

Sig by Heather Papps

Scuba Trooper

baka fwocka fwame posted:

do you think 9/11 happened and it was two giant monoliths collapsing

A PTERANODON HAS HIT THE SECOND TOWER

BoldFrankensteinMir

Oh good more Fred and Barney bickering with mean short tempers. I needed more Grumpy Old Flintstones. I'd forgotten this unique variety of disappointment.

Also, "Stop saying 'Right' and talk!" is, I believe, the title of a Talking Heads film translated into Chinese and back again.

Nope. I refuse. I refuse to believe that Fred and Barney's dinosaurs at work are named Crunch and Mangler. MANGLER. Who the gently caress names the crane at their quarry/mine job "Mangler"??? Is this a Topsy the elephant situation, has Mangler killed before? Nope. Not buying it.

According to the Flintstones wiki, "Brontosauruses were of utmost importance to caveman society, serving a wide variety of essential uses to them, with one of the most essential uses of all being construction and food, and as such many brontos were domesticated and very few wild ones were ever seen, but those that were young and wild were very aggressive. " I'm so glad that all this work was poured into understanding Brontosaurus Flintstonus, while the Wikipedia articles on some state capitals are stubs. Society has its priorities in order.

There's no mention of dinos named Crunch and Mangler on the wiki, though one of the first images in that brontosaurus article is of Fred riding one like a horse from The Flintstones Comedy Hour so, I can't complain about that aspect. I'm curious how a dinosaur gets named Crunch by people who don't think dinosaurs have any teeth but, screw it, we'll never get out of here if I look up every stupid thing that makes me mad on the Flintstones wiki. Quiet, picklehead!

...brakes? But they're powered by...

Never mind never mind never mind we're almost through. And I will say, this is my favorite piece of art in the whole book, it's like the perfect drawing for an entry in a gritty Flintstones tabletop RPG system's QM (QuarryMaster) manual.

Rockmobile Mobster Squad Point total: 400
ST: 18 DEX: 8 IQ:5 HT: 15
Advantages: Allies/Rick Nicksun, Combat Reflexes, Hard to Subdue, Less Sleep, Rank/Rockmobile Gang 1, Speaks with Animals, Striking ST, Talent/Smooth Operator, Terrain Adaptation/rock-road, Unfazeable
Disadvantages: Alcoholism, Bad Smell, Bully, Callous, Enemies/Bedrock PD, Ham-Fisted, Sadism, Selfish, Semi-Upright, Trickster, Yabba/Dabba (D0)
Skills: Brawling 14, Carousing 12, Counterfeiting 12, Driving/Rockmobile 15, Fast-Talk 10, Garrote 16, Intimidation 16, Sex Appeal 12, Traps 10
Drops: Rockmobile Mobster wallet x3, 3d6 clams, key to Rockmobile, 1d6 pictures of Betty

Robbers robbers robbers robbers... chap???

You can tell the author is spent by the paragraph about Fred and Barney also going to jail but whatever they explained things, it was cool that they had taken money from gangsters to hide contraband because in the end they also led a dangerous high-speed chase through residential neighborhoods. They cancel out, see? Case closed. Even Wilma felt safe enough to come outside for a bit, that's rare these days.

"I've not a clue old bean" said Barney as he polished his monacle on a clearly modern garment. "Frightful business this numismatism wot wot, could get a chappie killed eh?"

I don't care how it ends anymore I just need The Bedrock Connection to be over. PLEASE. I can't put up with any more of Fred and Barney devolving, they're already cave-men the only step left under that is foul ape and this book had foul ape Flintstones to beat the band. The last thing I need is Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble swearing and punching each other like Sexy Beast or something. Be done with crime boys!!!

No!!!!!

And so, the thrill of crime got its hooks into Fred and Barney, and they ended up breaking rocks in Sand Quentin rock-a-prison for trying to rob the first Granitional bank. The end.

-

Now you know the confusion and terror I felt upon first reading The Flintstones: The Bedrock Connection, a cruddy little half-a-mystery novella with off-sheet drawings of Barney Rubble scowling on every other page. I don't know how to describe such an object except as cursed, or possibly hexed? Something tremendously wrong is going on the world of Flintstones books apparently, thank goodness we're done there forever. I wonder what else I can find on the Flintstones Wiki...

...oh for the love of Gazoo...

Sig by Heather Papps

teen witch
“Sand Quentin” booooo

xcheopis

teen witch posted:

“Sand Quentin” booooo

Rock-a-prison.

baka of lathspell

so in the end there was no harm done except to the quarry mines safety record

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

BoldFrankensteinMir

baka fwocka fwame posted:

so in the end there was no harm done except to the quarry mines safety record

There was immense damage to the town from this. Fred and Barney, on Crunch and Mangler, "galloped wildly through town, knocking down trees, benches and light poles."

It was like GTA Bedrock for most of a night there, who knows how many injured or killed.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

What the gently caress is even happening in these crazy Flintstones books???

Am I having a stroke? Why do I taste chewable vitamins?

Sig by Heather Papps

xcheopis

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

What the gently caress is even happening in these crazy Flintstones books???

Am I having a stroke? Why do I taste chewable vitamins?

This.. sickly sweet stench.. no.. no! Not the pebbles please god no

Scuba Trooper

absolutely insane. love it

google THIS

Wow, that wrapped up quick. That is an ending that says the author hit his target word count. Either that or he ran out of jizzle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrs

The amount of illustrations in that book that were just Fred and Barney standing next to each other makes me think it didn't need a picture on every page