Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Problem description: I have a 2tb Samsung Evo 870 SSD. I accidentally unplugged my PC from the outlet yesterday and that caused a cavalcade of issues. I swapped all the hardware over to a new motherboard and everything worked fine... except "whoops forgot to plug in the D Drive". However once the D drive was back in all my issues restarted. If the Drive is plugged in, my PC cannot boot into windows. It's stuck on the BIOS screen with the loading wheel. Unplug it and it magically works. Once in windows this repeats, my PC freezes up almost entirely when its plugged in (mouse still moves and clicks but all windows because unresponsive with the "____ is not responding" message.

Attempted fixes:
-New Motherboard
-New Sata cords
-New/Different Sata port
-Different PC, pretty much the same issue.

Recent changes: Other than the aforementioned unplug incident nothing I can think of.
--
Operating system: Win10 home

System specs: B450 mobo currently, previous was an X470.... which may actually not be the problem.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

This drive has like a decade of data saved in it... Video games, pictures, movies, personal finance/tax info. It is critical I get it back in working order or can at least migrate most of the data over to something stable.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Update, things are not totally frozen they just move incredibly slowly.... It's late here so I'll try some more stuff tomorrow after work.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Run https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php and see if any errors show up.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Final update:

CHKDSK and all other diagnostic tools were a complete no go. The drive is totally hosed.

Silver lining I was able to pay EaseUS $70 to recover everything (except my skyrim saves. Literally couldn't recover 10 years of skyrim saves :v:). That still took some maneuvering as this drive does not want to be read anymore.

Now to strangle an RMA out of Samsung.