Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Thinking about revamping the BOTM since we seem to be having flagging participation, and I suspect having alternating threads instead of one running megathread is losing people's bookmarks.

I want to get feedback from people though before I make any major changes.
Are people generally happy with how the BOTM has been going?

What thoughts do people have?

What would people like to see? More accessible works? More challenging stuff? Easier to find things, or less well known stuff?

Throwing the floor open here, any suggestions appreciated. I want to be reading books with people but that means we need to be reading things people want to read, together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'd like more accessible works that have a "hook" or element that invites further discussion, and which ideally can be advertised to draw in new participants.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
I'm pretty new to participating in this forum but it was frustrating how many people voted for The Satanic Verses and then just apparently didn't read it or at least didn't post about reading it. I didn't even vote for it but at least got in the reservation queue at the library (34th in line :toot:). Maybe the problem is that people are voting for "That's a cool book" instead of "That's a book I will actually read this month." For example Convenience Store Woman (which I did vote for) is 160 pages and tiny.

So maybe a check on page count (or at least include page count in the poll), maybe an availability check (was the author just in the news? probably all their books will be checked out of the library), and let's not let "middlebrow" be a pejorative. Still, I respect the work you're doing, you really can't please everyone, and I'm gonna keep on trying.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I'm pretty new to participating in this forum but it was frustrating how many people voted for The Satanic Verses and then just apparently didn't read it or at least didn't post about reading it. I didn't even vote for it but at least got in the reservation queue at the library (34th in line :toot:). Maybe the problem is that people are voting for "That's a cool book" instead of "That's a book I will actually read this month." For example Convenience Store Woman (which I did vote for) is 160 pages and tiny.

So maybe a check on page count (or at least include page count in the poll), maybe an availability check (was the author just in the news? probably all their books will be checked out of the library), and let's not let "middlebrow" be a pejorative. Still, I respect the work you're doing, you really can't please everyone, and I'm gonna keep on trying.

That was partly my fault; I never got a thread up for it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I actually got out Convenience Store Woman which I will read after I finish Zuboks Collapse in a couple of days.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I did make the mistake of reading Moby Dick as part of the reading challenge and things like that uhhh so like give you bonus points or whatever lmao.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I've said so elsewhere, but I think that runners-up in the polls should be considered for the next month too. We've had a lot of very close results and seeing your choice lose by just a vote or two might be disheartening to potential BOTM participants.

In terms of book choices and timing, a month of turnaround can be a little tight. Organising a month or two in advance - staggering it so that say, March's book is voted for in January, April's book in February, May's in March, would give folks time to acquire copies.

There's also the potential for getting new eyeballs on the thread through forum ads, but obviously that means using actual human money.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I think having the Botm for the next month come out 2-3 or even 4 weeks early would be a good thing.

Maybe also allow people to lead the discussion. People can promote a book for BotM and then have some discussion questions planned.

A single megathread would get a lot more traffic imo, though then there will also be some off-topic chatter.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gertrude Perkins posted:

In terms of book choices and timing, a month of turnaround can be a little tight. Organising a month or two in advance - staggering it so that say, March's book is voted for in January, April's book in February, May's in March, would give folks time to acquire copies.

This is something I'd like to do but it runs into my own time / organizational limits. Setting things up as a single megathread might help.

Another option might be something more akin to a "monthly book club." I don't have to be the dude picking the book every month. In theory with a megathread people could suggest "Hey, want to read X next month?" and then if enough people agree whee

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 29, 2022

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Maybe you could get like a book club IK to help out with setting up the whole thing and just supervise it?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

with the caveat that I haven't participated properly in these things for a good while, I also second having runner-ups becoming a next botm thing. maybe every three turns or so, let the poll just be some of the most voted-for second places? there's been some interesting or neat books just barely didn't make it in the past

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
My thoughts as a casual participant in BOTM:

I don’t really have a preference for challenging vs. accessible in terms of what I want to read, like I think I’ve read both Moby Dick and the Diablo novelization for BOTM. But, the more accessible books seem both easier to read quickly enough to participate in discussion, and easier to discuss. I personally prefer less-well-known things, or at least less-often-read things (like Peter Pan is pretty univerally known, but I’m not sure how many people actually read the book nowadays).

I read a wide variety of genres, so I'm usually in the middle of three or four books that I rotate between depending on my mood. Which impacts BOTM in that I finish any individual book slower, so it’d be nice having more advance notice so I could slot the book in where it belongs.

I would prefer a megathread to individual threads, although not because of bookmarks because I don’t even know how they work. Rather, because it seems more likely that discussion would continue from the previous month’s book while I’m reading the current month’s book. Especially since the first week of a month I might be finishing the previous book and not having even started the current book. Which isn't impossible with separate threads, but it's keeping an obsolete thread alive.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

pseudanonymous posted:

I think having the Botm for the next month come out 2-3 or even 4 weeks early would be a good thing.

Maybe also allow people to lead the discussion. People can promote a book for BotM and then have some discussion questions planned.

I think these are both good ideas. Having someone put some effort into encouraging/promoting discussion of the book could give some people a place to put rubber to the road. A lot of BotM posts are like: “I read it, it was good.” Which doesn’t promote discussion, but if you have someone spurring it along, I could see that having some merit.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

A single megathread would get a lot more traffic imo, though then there will also be some off-topic chatter.

Doing the bolded stuff got mentioned back around february or march of this year but never actually happened.

Stick everything on discord and manage it all there. Discord is where 99% of the botm recommendations come from, plus it gives the people banned from posting on somethingawful a chance to participate and be heard in the book of the month discussions.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

quantumfoam posted:

Stick everything on discord and manage it all there.

I ain't using discord so I can read a forum

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I ain't using discord so I can read a forum

Yeah.
Sadly that's where 99% of the BotM nominations and talk seems to happen. Definitely not here.

If there is a BotM megathread, dedicate the 2nd post in it to listing all the current/previous BotM selections, and wipe the OP every month.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Any specific suggestions for this month's book?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

megathread sounds good so that there can be discussion of other books that arent the main "book of the month". usually there is something on the list that id like to read but not always the main one. also, im a pretty slow reader so I might not be as caught up as some of the other posters so having a fairly loose discussion of the book(s) would be really great! Thanks for the hard work HA I've read a ton of very good books that are usually outside of my wheelhouse. Please dont stop doing this regardless of how much engagement youre getting

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm going to keep saying The Street, by Ann Petry, until it's the book of the month.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

AngusPodgorny posted:

My thoughts as a casual participant in BOTM:

I don’t really have a preference for challenging vs. accessible in terms of what I want to read, like I think I’ve read both Moby Dick and the Diablo novelization for BOTM. But, the more accessible books seem both easier to read quickly enough to participate in discussion, and easier to discuss. I personally prefer less-well-known things, or at least less-often-read things (like Peter Pan is pretty univerally known, but I’m not sure how many people actually read the book nowadays).

I read a wide variety of genres, so I'm usually in the middle of three or four books that I rotate between depending on my mood. Which impacts BOTM in that I finish any individual book slower, so it’d be nice having more advance notice so I could slot the book in where it belongs.

I would prefer a megathread to individual threads, although not because of bookmarks because I don’t even know how they work. Rather, because it seems more likely that discussion would continue from the previous month’s book while I’m reading the current month’s book. Especially since the first week of a month I might be finishing the previous book and not having even started the current book. Which isn't impossible with separate threads, but it's keeping an obsolete thread alive.

I agree with most of this, especially the bolded. When you have commitments to return books fitting something in with a few days to spare isn't going to happen with me.

Also like the idea of having book hosts, maybe IKs, lead the discussion. As I was just posting on the discord discussion on this, having someone with the :justpost: spirit gets the discussions going more freely I think.

I disagree on the megathread though. Having the books in different threads make them easier to go back to later. Megathreads tend to verge into discord channels (although with better search lol) where once you pass the scrollback points made tend to not be looked back on again.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The just out We Spread by Iain Reid sounds great but I know you prefer things easier to get for cheap so new releases aren't likely to make the cut. Still.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Do something spooky for October, that’s all I got

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sandwolf posted:

Do something spooky for October, that’s all I got

I forgot it was October.

We will inaugurate the new thread with an absolute banger:

The BotM for October will be Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan LeFanu.

free online here:

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/10007

I'll get the new revised thread up in the next day or so.

I do bring back books that didn't win the poll sometimes, but i'll go through methodically and make a list of all the prior nominees we've had that didn't make the cut, for reference for future months.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 3, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1577126864631783424?s=20&t=FojNdxuOSM-JLm7ChjLAbw

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
To encourage participation, would it be possible to try some sort of lottery?

Like one random person who posted in the thread gets an av cert, or gets to be IK next month etc

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

I went ahead on The Orphan Master’s Son a while back but I think it would be well received here and I’d be down for a re-read.

Also, I’m lousy about posting here but I super appreciate the BotM threads - I use the archive to find stuff that was posted months, sometimes years ago. Thanks HA!

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Oh I get it reVAMP

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I haven't participated much either, but SA seems like the most accessible book club for me, so I would like to contribute:

1) I agree a megathread would probably be more effective than rotating threads every month, even though I can see how it could get cluttered quickly. Maybe have an auxiliary "Past BotM Discussion" megathread where people can continue discussing if they want? That way people don't feel rushed if they're a week or two late finishing the book and still want to talk about it. (maybe only make that thread if it starts to seem relevant though)

2) Maybe, depending on the length or other attributes of the book selected, occasionally extend the time period? Having 2 months instead of 1 to go through denser books could help. That or give further notice so people can adjust their reading schedule accordingly. On the flipside I can see where this could lead to the thread stagnating, so possibly only for exceptional cases or make it 6 weeks instead of 8, but something to consider.

3) I agree a slightly more guided discussion could be helpful as well. A rotating IK (maybe whoever proposed the book that won that month, if willing?) that could effort post once about why they chose the book and a few points to talk about? A similar mechanism seems to work in the Thunderdome thread. That thread works very different obviously, but it's a precedent.

Guido Merkens posted:

Also, I’m lousy about posting here but I super appreciate the BotM threads - I use the archive to find stuff that was posted months, sometimes years ago. Thanks HA!

Agreed! Thanks for taking the time to curate these threads HA, they're great for extending my already infinitely long backlog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Idaholy Roller posted:

Oh I get it reVAMP

ziiiiing

We have officially re-launched the BotM with a new rolling megathread. That will be the BOTM thread going forward and the thread will no longer change month to month.

Please bookmark it!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013975