Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Sequels are still allowed. You're allowed to make Arachno-Guy 2 as long as it is in continuity with Arachno-Guy 1.

According to No Way Home, all Spider-Man movies are in continuity with each other.

Shrecknet posted:

great now I gotta solve a math problem before I can go see the stabby man movie

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
A more specific version of colour grading: banning that desaturation effect where a clear blue sky looks a sickly faded grey like it's in the goddamn Matrix. I saw it in the trailer for Devotion, where aircraft on a carrier in the Sea of Japan (which is as far south as the Mediterranean) on a bright and clear day looked as if they were taking part in the North Atlantic campaign during midwinter, and a still of Namor flying in Wakanda Forever which might as well have been in black and white (washed-out, low contrast B&W at that).

Watching movies from as recently as the early 90s is almost like culture shock, because they pre-date digital grading and everything now feels so colourful. People have normal flesh tones! Trees and grass are verdant green! The sky is a vibrant blue!

Actually, maybe while banning one thing, insist on another: you want to make the sky look different? Then you have to use a physical filter on your lens, like Michael Bay had to in the original Bad Boys to get his pink and purple skies.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It isn't just poo poo. It's also usually racist.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Pulcinella posted:

Musicals songs that don’t stand on their own. “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” is dogshit. It’s like pure plot information. My kid may not care, but I know when a song is just a lore dump.

There are literally two types of opera songs that carried over to musicals. 'Arias' are the big emotional songs that communicate a character's interior world. 'Recitiatives' are the ones where you exposit or describe in song what you're doing.

You appear to want every single recitative to disappear entirely?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Payndz posted:

A more specific version of colour grading: banning that desaturation effect where a clear blue sky looks a sickly faded grey like it's in the goddamn Matrix. I saw it in the trailer for Devotion, where aircraft on a carrier in the Sea of Japan (which is as far south as the Mediterranean) on a bright and clear day looked as if they were taking part in the North Atlantic campaign during midwinter, and a still of Namor flying in Wakanda Forever which might as well have been in black and white (washed-out, low contrast B&W at that).

Watching movies from as recently as the early 90s is almost like culture shock, because they pre-date digital grading and everything now feels so colourful. People have normal flesh tones! Trees and grass are verdant green! The sky is a vibrant blue!

Actually, maybe while banning one thing, insist on another: you want to make the sky look different? Then you have to use a physical filter on your lens, like Michael Bay had to in the original Bad Boys to get his pink and purple skies.

Amendment/addendum: Only use colour grading if you're going to make it look like Takashi Miike's Diamond is Unbreakable movie. The sky is purple or yellow or green now. Moment of tension? Everything changes colour wildly. Invent a roulette button for what color this scene will be.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
If you make a period piece about Hollywood, any movies made within the movie must be made using period-appropriate technologies. Sick of movies where they're working on a silent film and it's clearly shot on 8K digital. Inspired by DC's new movie Babylon, look at this poo poo.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
No media that proudly describes itself as "not your average <genre>".

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Characters in movies should audibly fart, and loudly, when alone. This should not be played for laughs.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

B.F. Pinkerton posted:

I'd immediately ban those colour filters used to differentiate between America (normal), Europe (Sharp), Mexico (Yellow), and the Middle East (Yellow but slightly different shade). Also, that stock violin sting effect you'll hear in horror movies during a tense moment.
Cats banned from Horror movies too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp_8h-AbQ98

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Pixeltendo posted:

Color Grading

Lotta opinions on this in the thread. And yeah...there isn't really an option to "not color grade" something shot on digital cinema cameras.

For anyone who isn't aware: most professional work is shot in an uncorrected format using a color space that doesn't "look like" anything, certainly not reality as your eyes perceive it. Analog film had most of its contrast or color settings baked into the kind of stock it was, hence a 50's Technicolor look or 70's high-speed film look or whatever. But there's no equivalent for digital, which natively produces a muddy, grey mess of color values until some kind of grade is applied (either as a mechanical LUT slugged in, or a granular shot-by-shot grading process.)

"Naturalistic" is just another aesthetic that digital footage has to be adjusted to achieve, and that's just as subjective as any other set of choices. There's simply no option to do nothing.

Payndz posted:

This is true, though. There's definitely a low-contrast, low-saturation "look" a lot of movies have now and they don't need to look that way. I'd guess the reason this happens is that, on a calibrated display in a color studio, even subtle changes in saturation/contrast make a dramatic difference vs. the greyish non-look the footage has on its own. They'd need a way heavier hand to approximate the intense color of a lot of 80's or 90's films, which probably feels insanely garish and unsubtle in the moment. It also doesn't factor in that real-world conditions in a commercial cinema or home theater setup never look as good, are going to sweep away all their subtlety due to compression and display/projector settings they can't control.

People rag on Marvel for doing this, but honestly my least favorite version of it is the Chris Nolan look, the hyper-austere "everything is blue or grey" look that Wally Pfister and Hoyte van Hoytema produce for him. It really doesn't help that so many of his movies take place on military bases, airport tarmacs, highways, in warehouses, prisons, or industrial-looking planes or spaceships. It's all stern-faced actors in featureless spaces, refusing to emote against concrete grey paint. No thanks.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
No character can drink from an obviously empty cup, mug, beer flagon or other drinking vessel. No immediately drinking a hot beverage that's just been made. No empty luggage.

mutantIke posted:

If you make a period piece about Hollywood, any movies made within the movie must be made using period-appropriate technologies. Sick of movies where they're working on a silent film and it's clearly shot on 8K digital. Inspired by DC's new movie Babylon, look at this poo poo.

They did the same thing in Corsage, except for the literal first moving images which were shown in widescreen 35mm with a jerky handcranked(?) effect added.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've not seen it, but is not that the one thing Blonde did right? Using dozens of different formats to film to maintain accuracy in everything except the story

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Aspect ratio changes when the only reason why is because you're using a different camera.

Hey! Christopher Nolan! Yeah, I'm calling you out. Why do your films switch aspect ratios? Because you can't shoot everything with an IMAX camera, so you switch between 35 mm and IMAX, and then for some reason, you shoot scope despite that not being a good match at all for IMAX.

It's stupid and distracting. It's the cinematic equivalent of those old British television shows where they shot the interior scenes on tape, and then they walk outside, and it's now film. And it's stupid and distracting.

It serves no purpose except to let people know what camera you used to shoot the shot with. It's great in Tenet.

So, during the climax, you have these two scenes playing out. One where someone is being confronted on a boat, and another where the time soldiers are doing their time soldier thing. And the time soldier thing is shot with IMAX and is in an aspect ratio of 1.78:1. But then the boat scenes were on 70 mm, and have an aspect ratio of 2.20:1. And these two scenes are cutting back and forth. So you have all these aspect ratio changes for no real reason. It doesn't convey information. It doesn't help us. It's just really distracting.

And this happens throughout the whole movie. Individual shots will be different aspect ratios from each other. It's lovely film making. And you know it. So stop it. You can shoot for a consistent aspect ratio, you know that?

Aspect Ratio Changes that are used to denote something, like the First Man switch when he steps onto the moon are acceptable.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Cemetry Gator posted:

Aspect ratio changes when the only reason why is because you're using a different camera.

Hey! Christopher Nolan! Yeah, I'm calling you out. Why do your films switch aspect ratios? Because you can't shoot everything with an IMAX camera, so you switch between 35 mm and IMAX, and then for some reason, you shoot scope despite that not being a good match at all for IMAX.

It's stupid and distracting. It's the cinematic equivalent of those old British television shows where they shot the interior scenes on tape, and then they walk outside, and it's now film. And it's stupid and distracting.

It serves no purpose except to let people know what camera you used to shoot the shot with. It's great in Tenet.

So, during the climax, you have these two scenes playing out. One where someone is being confronted on a boat, and another where the time soldiers are doing their time soldier thing. And the time soldier thing is shot with IMAX and is in an aspect ratio of 1.78:1. But then the boat scenes were on 70 mm, and have an aspect ratio of 2.20:1. And these two scenes are cutting back and forth. So you have all these aspect ratio changes for no real reason. It doesn't convey information. It doesn't help us. It's just really distracting.

And this happens throughout the whole movie. Individual shots will be different aspect ratios from each other. It's lovely film making. And you know it. So stop it. You can shoot for a consistent aspect ratio, you know that?

Aspect Ratio Changes that are used to denote something, like the First Man switch when he steps onto the moon are acceptable.

I actually like it. He always does it well too imho. I see that you failed to mention Interstellar because the IMAX scenes are all absolutely incredible, and they're usually silent in outer space.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Changing my mind. Movies can now have the "freeze frame, record scratch, 'yep, that's me...',smash-cut to SIX MONTHS EARLIER" again, but now nobody's allowed to make a historical biopic anymore, especially about musicians. They're all the same to a degree that makes Lacey Chabert rom-coms look creative.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

Changing my mind. Movies can now have the "freeze frame, record scratch, 'yep, that's me...',smash-cut to SIX MONTHS EARLIER" again, but now nobody's allowed to make a historical biopic anymore, especially about musicians. They're all the same to a degree that makes Lacey Chabert rom-coms look creative.

I dunno about that. There's a huge difference between Whats Love Got to Do With It, Rocketman (which is a musical) and Elvis.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Does anyone know why early 2000s movies were so aggressively 'blue' looking?

Was it just doing Day-For-Night shooting and throwing a color grade on it?

Not that I ever actually saw the movies but I suppose Underworld with Kate Beckinsdale is kind of a good reference. Were they all trying to rip off the Matrix which had some pretty aggressive color grading?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Isn't that called 'bleach bypass'? It's a film processing technique that makes everything look cold and contrasty and stark. I think I first learned about it on a Minority Report featurette.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

skip silver bleach is what you're talking about and it was most famously used on Saving Private Ryan to get the 40s newsreel look

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 2, 2023

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I was just talking about this the other day but I was commenting on how horror movies in particular really cranked up the blue in that era. I'm thinking about the Grudge and the Ring I guess

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Bleach bypass results in a higher-contrast and lower-saturation image, but wouldn't make the color palette warmer or cooler.

My guess is that mid-2000's media really ran with that blue color-cast because digital grading had only recently become accessible. They wanted a dramatic look, didn't necessarily have a huge budget, but all of a sudden could make the image do all kinds of poo poo that otherwise would've required effort and planning to do optically. It's obviously a lovely trend in retrospect, but in the moment I can see it reading as atmospheric and cool, like an inexpensive emulation of the style in things like Terminator 2 or The Matrix.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I was always partial to the INSANE colour grade for Domino (2005)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzP2Pz3ZEfE

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I loathe it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

The entire last decade of Tony Scott’s career had some intense looks. I guess his whole career kind of did, but the 2000’s were a real “push the footage into oblivion” era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I won't go on my "Mexico filter" rant again.

But I want to.