Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I've written nothing but emails and text messages since I graduated and no one who gives a single poo poo had ever said anything if you let outlook put in the comma or not.

Maybe they are posting in the cloned thread on another forum frothing at the mouth about it but never telling anyone they work with about their ocd. I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Wendigee posted:

I've written nothing but emails and text messages since I graduated and no one who gives a single poo poo had ever said anything if you let outlook put in the comma or not.

Maybe they are posting in the cloned thread on another forum frothing at the mouth about it but never telling anyone they work with about their ocd. I'm not sure.

So, what are you pedantic about?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

The dude abides homie 🤙

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Vegetable posted:

I used to be a stickler for the oxford comma. Now I prefer going without. It’s sometimes useful but for every example where the oxford comma clears up confusion, it’s really not hard to create one where the opposite happens. Some people still swear by it and won’t shut up. It’s a punctuation mark, don’t make it part of your personality, dweeb.

I honestly dislike the Oxford comma for a dumb reason: I think it makes my sentences look messier. Just ever so slightly.

A lot of the problem is that I use so many commas elsewhere. (Pauses in speech, before so/but/and, between joint bits of dialogue, etc.) One more shouldn't make a difference, but it's also one more comma that I don't really consider as necessary making my sentence look messier.

Like I said, dumb reason.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The parenthesis are confusing me enough to stay my probe finger.

For now.

the only one who needs a probe here is you for using ‘parenthesis’ when you should have used ‘parentheses’

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

op

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Regarding word definitions I am a descriptivist for most things, but when specific meanings are lost I am a steadfast prescriptive.

Envy vs Jealous
Calling all sodas/fizzy/pop/soft drink "coke"
Litteraly as a superlative

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Most "mega"threads are kilothreads at best.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I get the feeling some folks think OP stands for "Other Poster."

Thing is, I'm pretty sure I just figured it meant "Original Poster" on my own years ago so for all I know maybe I'm the mistaken one!

I'm pretty sure it stands for "One Piece" and signifies that you believe the person you're quoting is valuable beyond measure. It's a really kind thing.

Bad Purchase posted:

it stands for "ordinary poster" and can be used to refer to any poster without rank or title

But what if I do have posting rank?
Please address me by my title, CP (Captain poster). I typed this and then immediately realized it was potentially a mistake.
Edit: D --- no, "Duke" won't work either. There are not a lot of good "_P" abbreviations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i used to care about grammar and proper capitalisation and stuff on the internet when I was a teenager in the early 00's. you know, one of those guys who prides himself on not using lol and saying haha instead.

i mellowed at some point and now i usually post like this unless it's a big seriouspost

i'll even use imojis idgaf op 🤙

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
3.2 inches does not make me the "3 inch guy", Mary. Accuracy is a virtue like tidiness and not telling lies!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

yugioh mishima posted:

the only one who needs a probe here is you for using ‘parenthesis’ when you should have used ‘parentheses’

You are correct. I doubted myself and checked the spelling and changed it to the singular because I was being too lazy to read the whole definition.

My petard, I am hoist by it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Shadow0 posted:

Like "U.S.A" instead of "U.S.A." or just without the dots like "USA"

Which reminds me that people often use too many periods.

"I like living in the U.S. Army 1st division headquarters has free pizza on Fridays."
is correct.

"I like living in the U.S.. Army 1st division headquarters has free pizza on Fridays."
is breaking the rules.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Phyzzle posted:

"I like living in the U.S. Army 1st division headquarters has free pizza on Fridays."
is correct.

"I like living in the U.S.. Army 1st division headquarters has free pizza on Fridays."
is breaking the rules.
That second period cleared up the sentence for me so maybe rules are stupid

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Phyzzle posted:

is correct.

is breaking the rules.

This is what semicolons are for.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Phyzzle posted:

is correct.

is breaking the rules.

It might depend on style guide, but I think the second might generally be more correct. It reminds me of how awkward citing a paper by "so-and-so, et al." could be, because if it is at the end of a sentence it becomes et al..

It's also an argument in favor of not using periods to denote initialisms - NASA or CIA wouldn't have the issue you describe, for instance.

"I live living in the US. Army 1st division headquarters has free pizza on Fridays."

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It might depend on style guide, but I think the second might generally be more correct. It reminds me of how awkward citing a paper by "so-and-so, et al." could be, because if it is at the end of a sentence it becomes et al..

It's also an argument in favor of not using periods to denote initialisms - NASA or CIA wouldn't have the issue you describe, for instance.

"I live living in the US. Army 1st division headquarters has free pizza on Fridays."

:goonsay:

lol

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Do you even know what thread you're in anymore?

If you really want a sixer you can just ask, you know.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If you really want a sixer you can just ask, you know.

Sweet! I would like a sixer with this image please and thank you:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

xcheopis posted:

Sweet! I would like a sixer with this image please and thank you:

Done.

I ain't doing a lot of these, though - apparently some people take their Leper's Colony experience very seriously and I'll get yelled at if I put in too many images.

Old can of Tab
May 31, 2020

Elentor posted:

That doesn't do anything to me but every time I stumble upon a site saying the left eye is processed by the right hemisphere of the brain and vice-versa I convulse a little.

Thinking about how fields of vision interact is kind of difficult for me, but this is a key place to think about how augmentation will need to be implanted to keep the cognitive shift within "normal" perceived values. I wonder how the prefrontal controls the top and bottom view. Like an imagination overlaid on top of whatever pictures we use buts upside down and inverted 😮

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
we DONT negotiate with thread terrorists

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Done.

I ain't doing a lot of these, though - apparently some people take their Leper's Colony experience very seriously and I'll get yelled at if I put in too many images.

That only makes me want to probe more

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Oddly, Depeche Mode enjoyed dancing to "No Masses for the Pity" in hard club 96, before a lot of goons were even alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

The members of the band are at a gig.

You’re at a concert.