Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
It's a "true hardware RAID" card that has an onboard RAID processor, RAM, and backup power. This card can support up to 16 SATA or SAS drives, and I was going to RAID some 18 TB drives with them.

You can search anywhere (Google, Amazon.*, PCPartPicker, etc.) and this card is either not available or on backorder.

I tried ordering it from ShopBLT.com. It had an ETA of 2 months.

2 Months later, this card disappeared from ShopBLT.com, and my ETA on my order was updated to 9/1/2024!!!

If these were ever produced, I'm not sure who bought them or has them, but NO ONE is selling ones they purchased, either new or used on eBay et all.

So what I got instead, was this one, for much cheaper ($400):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TLPY61Q/

...and it looks like these are disappearing as well.

My understanding, which I probably have wrong, is that this card will do the same thing as the Adaptec one, but it lacks an onboard RAID processor, RAM, and battery backup. So it supports the drives and controls them via RAID, but uses the system processor, hence the lower price.

I know that most people building computers today use M.2 SSD drives and don't even use SATA anymore, but if you want the big massive space that you can get on 3.5" SATA drives, and want to protect the data via RAID 1, 5, or 6, you really need a card, because most motherboards today don't have a lot of SATA ports anymore, because most people aren't using them.

So are the people and businesses just not buying these kinds of cards anymore?

Or does this have to do with the chip shortage, Asia Pacific backlog, or something else?

Not sure I completely understand what is going on.

In the meantime, I'm sure the HighPoint RocketRAID 3740C will work fine. But I'd really like the MicroSemi/Adaptec 3154-16i card instead!

LOL why do I want to do RAID in TYOOL 2022, am I some kind of dumb rear end?

Yes, I guess. That, and M.2 drives don't come in 18 TB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepBlue
Jul 7, 2004

SHMEH!!!
I am curious if there is a compounding effect going on with what you are describing/experiencing.

I can totally see the proliferation of technologies like LVM and ZFS making things like RAID cards obsolete. Hardware based disk management has historically been manufacturer specific and coding against it in a data center situation makes hardware/manufacturer based implementations for disk provisioning a huge PITA. Especially if you have or want to use multiple vendors in your racks.

But I have only run small installations, and have no real idea what larger firms use for their disk management. I assume that as disk storage and needs scale up and there is an economic incentive to integrate with it, we will learn which technologies go to the back burner when it comes to demand vs chip fabrication and logistics.

DeepBlue fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 6, 2022

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I dunno but all the RAID setups I even seen at work at least has integrated controllers with hot pluggable bracketed SAS bays in HP/Dell/etc 1U/2U server boxes where PCIe card controllers are entirely pointless.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don’t think modern servers spin disks anymore which is part of the problem, but also backup is handled with logical parity that doesn’t rely upon specific hardware so you can add drives in any quantity and it can rebuild even if multiple you have multiple hardware failures.

I’m probably not using the right words check out the data hoarder thread.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Raid cards are basically dead because you could buy a full computer for that much. Also now a whole storage cluster is also getting cheap. Why have a raid card in computer that will still have downtime when the motherboard dies when you can have a 3 node cluster that can handle a node failure and do patches with zero downtime for a little more.

Perplx fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Get with the program, granddad. Everyone is using clouds or ZFS now.