Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have been looking at those bloody oven dials itt for days trying to resist the compulsion to make a loss version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Shutdown buttons are fine until you have a toddler.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

HAmbONE posted:

My microwave doesn’t have any buttons. Just one red eye that glows angrily

That's actually a toaster

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

IUG posted:

Shutdown buttons are fine until you have a toddler.

Or a cat, or a mug of pencils that could get knocked over, or maybe you just like to eat chocolate covered jujubes at your desk on occasion there's no law against it get off my dick

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Foxfire_ posted:

There is almost certainly a bios setting that switches which way needs the modifier key. At least there has been one on every laptop I've ever owned

Absolutely this.

Content:

I have this Sharp Carousel Half Pint microwave that I love because it's a space saver and it looks cool and I like owning things that hold/appreciate in value.

My two beefs with it though are:

1. You have to punch in your time and heat settings while the door is open and then you close the door and push "start". Not a major deal but it requires a little extra mindfulness or else you have to open the door back up and fix a mistake if you made one, as well as requiring you to open the door every time you want to add more time or make any other adjustments. It looks cool, though!

2. The procedure for defrost assumes that you have some idea of how long you need to defrost your meat for based on weight and type. Even the manual only provides the briefest chart of examples. Other microwaves that I've used request that you enter the weight of your meat and then it sets a time based on that weight and then you monitor it as it defrosts. This microwave was introduced in 2001 (clearly, given its iMac ripoff design) and looking up defrosting time information on the internet would have been a lot harder then than it is now. Still dumb that you have to have the manual to have the foggiest how to use the function.

Edmund Sparkler has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Nov 7, 2022

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Foxfire_ posted:

There is almost certainly a bios setting that switches which way needs the modifier key. At least there has been one on every laptop I've ever owned

How does one change this? I tried googling "how to change bios settings" and the results are all this poo poo where you gotta hold down keys while you restart to get into secret boot menus. This is above my paygrade if I'm not misunderstanding. i'm not a computer toucher like you guys, I'm just some dumb motherfucker who bought a cheap loving laptop....

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

InediblePenguin posted:

How does one change this? I tried googling "how to change bios settings" and the results are all this poo poo where you gotta hold down keys while you restart to get into secret boot menus. This is above my paygrade if I'm not misunderstanding. i'm not a computer toucher like you guys, I'm just some dumb motherfucker who bought a cheap loving laptop....

What brand laptop do you have? If you have a Dell for example, Google "Dell bios key" and the top answer is probably correct for your model laptop. Usually, it's F2 or F10. Just jam on that key as soon as you power on/restart your laptop. You'll enter the BIOS menu and then you'll just have to look for the correct option, probably something like this:

If you're not a computer toucher and it's not that important to you, it might not be worth your time but it's not that difficult if you have a little patience. Just don't change anything that you don't know what it does.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

If it's a modern-ish HP, you shouldn't need to go into BIOS. Somewhere on the keyboard should be a Fn-lock button. On our models at work it's activated by pressing Fn-left Shift, then a little LED will come on. I can never remember if the light means they're working as the function keys, or working as the other function, but it'll toggle them.

If you do need to go into BIOS, shut the laptop all the way down, then turn it on and just start tapping the Esc key as soon as the HP logo comes on screen. That should get you to a boot menu where BIOS will be one of the options.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Thanks for the help! Mine doesn't seem to have a Fn-lock option, just the hold-it-down-like-shift-key one, but I'll take a look at the bios thing. Worst case scenario I feel intimidated and leave everything untouched lol

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Absolutely this.

Content:

I have this Sharp Carousel Half Pint microwave that I love because it's a space saver and it looks cool and I like owning things that hold/appreciate in value.

That thing looks dumb as hell and I want one

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Absolutely this.

Content:

I'm getting big "late 90s/early 2000s dorm room" energy from this bad boy.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Looked like it could have been an iMac

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Absolutely this.

Content:

My two beefs with it though are:

1. You have to punch in your time and heat settings while the door is open and then you close the door and push "start". Not a major deal but it requires a little extra mindfulness or else you have to open the door back up and fix a mistake if you made one, as well as requiring you to open the door every time you want to add more time or make any other adjustments. It looks cool, though!

2. The procedure for defrost assumes that you have some idea of how long you need to defrost your meat for based on weight and type. Even the manual only provides the briefest chart of examples. Other microwaves that I've used request that you enter the weight of your meat and then it sets a time based on that weight and then you monitor it as it defrosts. This microwave was introduced in 2001 (clearly, given its iMac ripoff design) and looking up defrosting time information on the internet would have been a lot harder then than it is now. Still dumb that you have to have the manual to have the foggiest how to use the function.

I had the exact same microwave in bright orange and loved it; too bad my ex took it when we split up. :(

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Lol no this is not the problem. The problem is likely that the entire game is top to bottom not engineered for multiplayer at all. When you know you're going to have it you tend to use a server-client architecture even for the single player. That way other players joining is the exact same process as the first player joining. It's been a solved problem since the mid 90s, at least for the player counts the game supports.

The question is whether they had multiplayer imposed on them at the last minute, or somehow put together a team with less understanding of how to do it than the smash bros people. Either option speaks to something extremely strange going on with management.

The ACNH team also made Splatoon, a 4v4 online twitch shooter which has no servers and operates entirely peer to peer.

If you're not familiar with the series, that netcode works exactly as well as it sounds like it should.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

InediblePenguin posted:

I've got this cheap HP laptop and it's got a row of function keys at the top like a normal keyboard but you have to hold down a special separate Fn button to use them as an f-key. Without holding that button down, they perform a series of specific tasks like opening the contrast adjustment screen, altering volume and playback in Windows default media players, and entering loving airplane mode. They have it set up so my cat can just kill the wifi by stepping on the key that SHOULD be F12. I feel like the standard function key should be the standard function and you should have to hold down a dumb accessory button to use the bespoke windows nonsense

there's an option to change this in the BIOS

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

shame on an IGA posted:

The ACNH team also made Splatoon, a 4v4 online twitch shooter which has no servers and operates entirely peer to peer.

If you're not familiar with the series, that netcode works exactly as well as it sounds like it should.

One weird thing about this is that Splatoon 3 feels like a step backwards from 2 in terms of online performance and reliability of connector, I'm not sure how that happens. I love the games, and they work fine a decent amount of the time, but Nintendo really needs to learn more about online functionality.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Skype is trying to push Bing AI. My phone updated awhile ago and now there is a bing button where the send button is until a message is typed, but it lags. It adds @Bing and invokes the ai. Quickly typing keeps leading to unintentionally inviting big to spout off a bunch of poo poo. They couldn't even just put the useless button off to the side or something.
Also, Skype loves hiding the speaker control, but that might be a bug.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I haven't used Skype in forever but yeah, I hate the trend of everyone trying to sneak AI poo poo into everything. It's almost like they know I think it's something terrible that I'll only use if they trick me into opting in :thunk:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I bought a new TV recently. My old one that I had had for 12 years decided to break. I would have been very glad to get a non-Smart TV, but I figured it was time to get an actual new TV so Smarts were the only option, but I don't have it connected to the internet. It had some AI sound setting stuff enabled by default, I think it was supposed to dynamically adjust sounds for the Best Experience™.

My video games did not sound right at all until I had found and turned off all of those settings because it had no idea what it was doing.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

AI leveling might be nice on stuff like badly produced movies, but games usually have cohesive sound design. I'm scared of the day I need a tv smarter than letting me switch between inputs. My friend has a cool one, but he works for the company and gets to beta stuff. But on the same note the phone I got last month has AI enhancement on camera by default and really it just blurs photos to smooth things. It's ruined some nice photos I wanted.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

nesamdoom posted:

Skype is trying to push Bing AI. My phone updated awhile ago and now there is a bing button where the send button is until a message is typed, but it lags. It adds @Bing and invokes the ai. Quickly typing keeps leading to unintentionally inviting big to spout off a bunch of poo poo. They couldn't even just put the useless button off to the side or something.
Also, Skype loves hiding the speaker control, but that might be a bug.

You know, I was just thinking today that I need to install a Mattermost server out something for work. I hate Skype, and we’re an open source shop. Why the gently caress are we using this one MS product?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

IUG posted:

You know, I was just thinking today that I need to install a Mattermost server out something for work. I hate Skype, and we’re an open source shop. Why the gently caress are we using this one MS product?

I swear half the company is loving poo poo up for a job so the other half has a job fixing it.