Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
We've all got games in our libraries, Steam or otherwise, that we bought with the intention to play but haven't.

This thread is a call to action!

Find a game in your library you haven't played yet that you have meant to, and - well, play it!

Bonus points if you then let us know how you felt about it!

I'm going to play: Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark

It has been sitting in my game library for years now, completely unplayed.
My friend's sibling worked on this game so I really wanted to check it out. But then I just didn't get around to it. But that changes now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Do gifts count? How about bundled games? Asking for a friend.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

itry posted:

Do gifts count? How about bundled games? Asking for a friend.

:hmmyes: I think yes!

If it's sitting in your library and it's something you've been meaning to play, I encourage you to make now (or at least when you're free) the time to give it a try!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I think I'm going to finally play Spec Ops: The Line. I bought it on Goon recommendation but have just never gotten around to playing it

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SalTheBard posted:

I think I'm going to finally play Spec Ops: The Line. I bought it on Goon recommendation but have just never gotten around to playing it

The shooting/gameplay wasn't particularly brilliant a decade ago and it's probably worse now, but the good news is that was never the point of the game. Avoid harder difficulties, possibly play on Normal for a less frustrating time. And strap yourself in: it's the story beats and your group of characters that make this game shine as an experience.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

I had also heard good stuff from goons but never ended up finishing the game.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Played for about 30 minutes before work. So far it's a bog standard cover shooter from the late 00's / early 10's. I have to disagree about the gunplay so far and it's very fun and rewarding. I have been playing Gears of War 4 recently so being able to take down an enemy in 3 to 4 hits vs. dumping a full clip into each enemy is a rewarding feeling. I like being able to "paint" targets for my team mates to take out. I have heard the story takes some twists and turns and so far I'm happy with it! Will be playing more tonight.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shadow0 posted:

My friend's sibling worked on this game so I really wanted to check it out. But then I just didn't get around to it. But that changes now!

So I've played about 45 minutes of the game. The combat seems fun enough. I love what they've done with items. The story seems like it might be good, but obviously is way too early to tell.
The dialog and some of the art, especially the portraits, are a little bit uncanny valley. Just a little bit something is off.

It's a bit too early to say much about the game, but I've finally actually started playing it like I said I would. :toot:

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

I had this exact thought, OP, when I wanted to play a roguelike. So I fired up Deep Dungeons of Doom and started racking up sweet sweet steam trading cards and achievements.

The game has a 16-bit medieval fantasy aesthetic and seems designed with mobile UI in mind. I start as a Crusader and travel an overworld map to a dungeon which has battles, loot, and magical shrines. Each encounter includes decision-making and brings me one room closer to the Boss! Fighting is real-time and has attacking and blocking as the main actions. I wait for a timer bar to fill up to attack, while keeping an eye on enemy animations to anticipate when to also block. Sometimes after victory the enemy drops something and I choose whether to take it or leave it since I have one slot for gear and another for a potion. Shrine rooms apply a buff slot if I choose to pray, but the effects seem to be random!

The Boss fight is a tougher fight and has some mechanics I have to figure out through trial and error like waiting for them to reveal their weak spot before attacking. At the same time I have to time up more and varied attack patterns for blocking.

After a few dungeons I am joined by a new adventurer and thus gain the option to play as them. Pure DnD vibes, even matching the 'paladin interacting with a warlock' vibe in the cutscene dialogue.

Overall, very happy with having another roguelike itch scratched and another notch on my games played belt.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I bought Kenshi a while back because it looks weird as gently caress, but played about 20 minutes of it before realizing my main way forward was mining copper and stealing items off the bodies generated by procedurally generated fights. I have a hard time in general with sandbox games but think I'll give it another go. Let'sa go

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Squashing Machine posted:

I bought Kenshi a while back because it looks weird as gently caress, but played about 20 minutes of it before realizing my main way forward was mining copper and stealing items off the bodies generated by procedurally generated fights. I have a hard time in general with sandbox games but think I'll give it another go. Let'sa go

I bounced off of it a few times and then added a couple of mods, then some accident happened with a slave train somewhere and i goot to add a bunch of high level ninjas and so on to my party and it trivialised everything, so i had to start over, also, its huge. hundreds of hours can be spent, flitting between grouups off on missions, focussing on tech, making armour and wepons, mining for making armor and weapons, farming etc, with tons of mods as well, start in the hub and rebuild it, do whatever.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Spec Ops: The Line update:

I just got to the part where Gould (?) uses White Phosphorous on the opposing side. I sort of had to stop at that point because it was a little brutal to see that in a game. There was also a part earlier in the game where you are fighting guys from the 33rd, when all of a sudden a civilian just runs out of nowhere and I just mowed her down I was shocked because I wasn't expecting that. I understand now when people say that the plot is not really the full point of the game. I'm slightly confused at the plot in general but it's whatever, I think though there are some more plot twists in general that will clear everything up. Fun game so far.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I had some time to play more Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark last night. After playing for a while, I noticed I was really tired. When I looked at the clock, I was surprised how late it got. I wasn't sure about it initially, but I guess it managed to pull me in.

It's also a lot harder than I expected, or I'm just bad at it. At least when I die, it didn't reset all my progress before the battle, which I really like. It's kind of good at teaching you everything you need to know, but it probably should have directed me to the level up screen before I moved on to the third battle, where things ramped up in difficulty significantly.
At some point, we were down to 1 troop each with my last troop severely damaged. So I backed my last troop into the corner and kept healing over and over while the enemy paced back and forth, attacking me, but not enough that I wasn't making net gains on health. I eventually healed back up enough to counterattack, and narrowly won. I also gained exp each action cycle, which was really nice. I guess I could have just really farmed exp by constantly healing. Though the enemy units also level up during the battle, so maybe their damage increases would have outpaced my healing increases. I'm not sure.

It plays a lot like Final Fantasy: Tactics, so if you liked that game, I think you'll really like this one. I'm glad I finally started on it. If I didn't have stuff to do, I'd probably be playing it right now.

Also, I had forgotten my friend had a portrait in the game as a KickStarter backer. It's so incredibly clearly him that it's going to take me some time to get used to it. XD
Edit: Now I've run into enemies with a different friend's username and last name as their names. How many of my friends backed this thing?!

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 14, 2022

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I have DOOM 2016 in my inventory and still haven't finished it for some reason. Im doin that this week dangit, game is fun and good.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh god dammit fine, I'll actually PLAY one of these drat things. My troll of a sister has bought me some garbo games as a fun prank, I might subject myself to em and report.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

Oh god dammit fine, I'll actually PLAY one of these drat things. My troll of a sister has bought me some garbo games as a fun prank, I might subject myself to em and report.

Please do, that'd be hilarious!

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
played some BUTCHER this week (likely was part of a bundle?). reminds me of childhood days with Soldat and Abuse, brought to beyond-Manhunt snuffery. snappy and dumb-fun enough. i’m sure there are some twists or easter eggs for the more diligent butchers out there. 8/10!

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Foxhole is a concept that I find really cool but I've just never got around to putting in the time to learn to play and contribute in. I should change that.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

gently caress I got so many games but it's time to get some value.

Re: Spec-Ops: I remember the awesome LP that was in these forums and without spoiling anything I just have to remind everyone that napalm sticks to kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAe-tESjKV4

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I bought Turok 2 for the N64, used, I believe at a price of $25, oh, around '99/2000 I guess. Never finished it, though I did try. Mercy, what a slog, on a Sharp 20" TV with an N64 controller. Back then, I really finished games, beat 'em 100%, but not this one. (Part of it was being a dang adult with work and school.)

I re-bought it this summer--in its PC port form--for seven bucks, and have been playing it in bits and pieces since then, armed with a mouse and a computer monitor.

It has its fun or remarkable moments, and it has this "visiting the museum of my past" thing going for it. The atmosphere is decent. But overall it's still kinda boring. With 2022 eyesight, I'm seeing lots of bewildering mazes, bullet-sponge minibosses, and here's a 1999 feature bullet: having to return to levels with tools so you can get more keys, in order to pad out gameplay.

It's strangely motivating: I'm finally gonna finish the damned thing, and knowing that is part of the fun. Turok 2, finally going to beat you.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 24, 2022

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I remember Turok 2 being substantially harder than Turok 1. I remember T1 being a pretty general fps and T2 was way more open world and was sort of a "Metroidvania" style with items in one world needed to progress in another

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Shadow0 posted:

We've all got games in our libraries, Steam or otherwise, that we bought with the intention to play but haven't.

This thread is a call to action!

Find a game in your library you haven't played yet that you have meant to, and - well, play it!

Bonus points if you then let us know how you felt about it!

This was a great game with the exception of mana shield being insanely overpowered

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I have Yakuza Like a Dragon 7 on my PS5 and I'm afraid to boot it up.

Never played a Yakuza game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

WaltherFeng posted:

It's a stand-alone title, a new beginning for the series in more ways than one, and it doesn't require you to have played any of the previous titles. Go for it.

Jump in on the insanity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ouq00ZJc7Q

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SalTheBard posted:

I remember Turok 2 being substantially harder than Turok 1. I remember T1 being a pretty general fps and T2 was way more open world and was sort of a "Metroidvania" style with items in one world needed to progress in another

Pretty much. I may redo Turok 1 at one point, though I beat it back in the day. (I recall I used an invulnerability cheat twice, once during a horrible jumping puzzle above a lava bed, and once during the interminably long final boss battle).

I'm not a big metroidvania guy, but here's my breakdown:

The pathway to completion for Turok 2 is actually pretty linear in my opinion. There are just a handful of items, which you can optionally go back for once you have a new ability. Some, you have to go back for, they're literal keys to another level (not within the level, but to the level itself), or arbitrary parts of a "nuke weapon" that I imagine I'll need in the endgame. Or, they're an ability you need to have to get one of these parts.

These new abilities are entirely dependent upon specially marked locations in the levels, you can't just use them anywhere, so they aren't actually empowering.

Speaking of empowering, the weapons are really good for the time. It feels really good to just run up to a lizard alien and one-shot him with an arm razor while he's winding up a shooting animation that once really annoyed you. It's especially fun to fire a brain-seeking drill drone at normally bullet-spongey alien, especially when they would otherwise take big bites out of you.

The way levels occasionally fork isn't terribly interesting, and doesn't feel like exploration to me, they're just alternative winding paths that might or might not be the "way" to a given level's completion objectives. I spent time redoing the Blind Ones level twice over, for pathways that I hadn't taken before, or missed, and it felt arbitrary rather than exploratory.

Also, since the level design is very samey and the textures remain almost identical throughout, it's easy to feel lost. More than once I've retraced a path I was 80% sure I'd been through before, just to make sure. And then they often end in identical rooms with identical teleporters, which lead to other tunnels I may or may not have been to.

As a metroidvania, I find it rather uncompelling.

I realize I've been very down on Turok 2, it's really not bad, but playing it in 2022, I'm as often reminded why I set it down and moved on, as I am of how awesome it was.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 24, 2022

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

you are in for such a great time, Yakuza is wonderful :allears:

coincidentally for this thread, i've started playing noita after having owned it for awhile. it's really hard and i have made no progress!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

doctorfrog posted:

Pretty much.

I think instead of Metroidvania I should've said non-linear. Also when I played it I don't think I had the expansion pack so I had the crazy fog which probably made it substantially more difficult.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SalTheBard posted:

Spec Ops: The Line update:

I just got to the part where Gould (?) uses White Phosphorous on the opposing side. I sort of had to stop at that point because it was a little brutal to see that in a game. There was also a part earlier in the game where you are fighting guys from the 33rd, when all of a sudden a civilian just runs out of nowhere and I just mowed her down I was shocked because I wasn't expecting that. I understand now when people say that the plot is not really the full point of the game. I'm slightly confused at the plot in general but it's whatever, I think though there are some more plot twists in general that will clear everything up. Fun game so far.

This game is great, see it out until the end.

SalTheBard posted:

I think instead of Metroidvania I should've said non-linear. Also when I played it I don't think I had the expansion pack so I had the crazy fog which probably made it substantially more difficult.

Turok 2 gets so much god drat praise just because it had one of the best FPS weapons ever, the Cerebral Boar but the game is miserable to playthrough because they went hard in the paint with the backtracking and story. Neither really work.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I still feel that the plot of Spec Ops: the Line would have had a far greater impact if you had several chances to pull out of the city, which would have made the end far more poignant due to Walker truly choosing to keep going into the shitshow.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

sigher posted:

the Cerebral Boar
If only

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Sylphosaurus posted:

I still feel that the plot of Spec Ops: the Line would have had a far greater impact if you had several chances to pull out of the city, which would have made the end far more poignant due to Walker truly choosing to keep going into the shitshow.

The creators of the game had stated that the design philosophy was to treat the player choosing to stop playing or go on as an in game decision. Notice how the loading screen messages start calling you out as the game progressed
"do you feel like a hero yet?"

Whether you accept that as effective or not is of course up to you.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

By popular demand posted:

The creators of the game had stated that the design philosophy was to treat the player choosing to stop playing or go on as an in game decision. Notice how the loading screen messages start calling you out as the game progressed
"do you feel like a hero yet?"

Whether you accept that as effective or not is of course up to you.
Yeah, I recall the developers saying this in an interview but I always felt that it was a pretty weak excuse for what I suspect actually was not having the time nor the resources for implementing this into the game. Each to their own though.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I've had The Council sitting in my library for a couple of years now. I installed it a couple of hours ago and I'm enjoying it.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I've had The Council sitting in my library for a couple of years now. I installed it a couple of hours ago and I'm enjoying it.

That game goes places. You'll probably either love it or hate it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Lucinice posted:

That game goes places. You'll probably either love it or hate it.

I'm really enjoying it. I'm not a massive fan of the RPG elements locking out parts of the game but it's fun, especially when you screw things up.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I've been doing a lot of backlog gaming for the past couple months. I'm currently in the middle of Kentucky Route Zero (which I meant to get around to playing forever, but never did) and Dragon Age: Inquisition (which I've started playing 3 or 4 times, but have never gotten past the extended intro until this time around).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Had Bloodstained in my list for a minute and finally played it. It's the best casltevania ever. Now I only need to get the all items achievement and I'll plat it.