Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Is there a dedicated taxi stand at Lexington, KY airport, or do I need to uber/make x-fer plans in advance? Daytime arrival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

The airport website states they have a taxi curbside service near baggage claim. Did you miss that?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Perhaps! Because the website simply says, "Taxis are available outside the terminal by the baggage claim exit." Which doesn't mean much, as all airports' websites say the same thing — except for the ones that specifically say they have a dedicated cab stand. I travel a LOT, and all airports' websites say they have taxi service — which can mean "taxis exist in our city and you can use your phone to call one," but only some airports have a cab stand. So, based on "Taxis are available..." I just wanted to know which of the two LEX was.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Huh, no Google Street View for the airport, and the only fixed-point google image is from inside the departures area and doesn't have a clear shot of the outside: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.037...0!7i6080!8i3040

Doesn't appear to be a terrorism/safety thing either, as all the other US airports I looked for did have street view everywhere around it.

But anyway, I guess if you're tight on time and need a car immediately, just call an Uber as soon as you start walking off the plane? Personally I can't imagine dealing with a taxi ever again, especially not in any market where Uber/Careem/etc exist.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Saladman posted:

Personally I can't imagine dealing with a taxi ever again, especially not in any market where Uber/Careem/etc exist.

Normally, me too. Airports can be odd, though, and the ease of getting an Uber varies GREATLY from airport to airport.

BTW, I’m flying home now and the answer to my original question is: there is a dedicated taxi boarding area immediately outside baggage claim (you have to cross the road), but it’s just cabs lined up and you grab the next one in line. It’s not a managed cab stand.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Lincoln posted:

Normally, me too. Airports can be odd, though, and the ease of getting an Uber varies GREATLY from airport to airport.

BTW, I’m flying home now and the answer to my original question is: there is a dedicated taxi boarding area immediately outside baggage claim (you have to cross the road), but it’s just cabs lined up and you grab the next one in line. It’s not a managed cab stand.

Yeah, fair enough. I’m one to walk like 15 minutes to get outside of the airport with two bags just so I can get away from the cab mafia in places where Uber / Careem / whatever is restricted from airport pickups.

Uber is a bad company but I’m sure rooting for them when their competition is run by organized crime and 90% of taxi drivers are assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Saladman posted:

Uber is a bad company but I’m sure rooting for them when their competition is run by organized crime and 90% of taxi drivers are assholes.

Fully agree, and on top of that Uber is honestly a godsend in foreign countries where you don't have to explain where you're going in another language, you know how much the trip should cost before setting off, you can see if the driver's sticking to the route, etc. My biggest gripe these days is when Uber etc are only allowed to pick up/drop off from the fire exit at concourse D or whatever, and it's just "expected knowledge" - there's no signs or anything.

We had this issue a bunch of times at those colossal intercity bus terminals in Mexico and Brazil, where Uber can only pick up from a certain place and the app doesn't tell you that! Especially when the arrival/departure concourses are in the same spot but on different floors, and a lot of the time rideshares pick you up from the dropoff zone, which again, you have no idea about and the dot on the map is in the right place.