Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

Problem description:When playing games from things that don't tax like the computer like Grim Dawn up to games that do like Death Stranding and Witcher 3 I get a weird slowdown/lag where the framerate drops for a few seconds. This only happens when I am hooked up to the TV. There are no similar problems running on the monitor. It doesn't make them unplayable, its just very annoying.

Attempted fixes: Changing the TV mode to Game mode which turns off all the postprocessing. Changing it to monitor mode. Vsync on and off, lowering settings. Nothing seems to make much difference.

Recent changes: Changed to Windows 11 but this was happening on Windows 10 too

--

Operating system: Windows 11

System specs: ASUS TUF FX504 Laptop. I7 8750, Nvidia GTX 1060, 16Gig RAM.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try a different HDMI cable and/or a different HDMI port on the TV if possible.

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

OK I will try another cable as this one i have isnt the best it seems like. Is it worth getting one with all the bells and whistles when you are using it from laptop to tv?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

IceG posted:

OK I will try another cable as this one i have isnt the best it seems like. Is it worth getting one with all the bells and whistles when you are using it from laptop to tv?

Probably not unless you're doing 4K/8K or HDR stuff.

Usually with HDMI cable issues the thing will just lose the signal or have a snow effect. So it might be a waste of time to buy another one anyway. Easier to just try another one if you had it around the house or something. But it's up to you.