Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
I'm in the USA.

I wanted to buy on older out of production PC part. It's just a hard drive cooler that mounts to the bottom of the drive. The Vantec model I like isn't made anymore, so I just searched Google for anyone selling old back stock. The part usually sells anywhere from $10 to $40 at the most.

I got a hit on a Newegg marketplace seller.

I ordered it, it shipped, I got e-mail notice that it had been delivered, except, it wasn't. I checked the tracking number, and it was delivered to a different city and zip code in my state. It's a city/zip far away from me, that I have absolutely no association with. I checked the Newegg invoice and it had my correct billing and shipping address (which are the same).

I contacted the seller, they apologized, blamed it on USPS, and issued me a refund.

I figured that was a weird one time fluke, but the thing is, I wanted more than one of these, and I also had a hit on a Sears marketplace seller.

So, I ordered that one as well. And the EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED. It shipped, I got e-mail notice that it had been delivered, except it wasn't. Checking the tracking number again showed it was delivered to a different city and zip code in my state, this time a different city and zip code than the one from Newegg, but otherwise, everything is the same. It's a city/zip code I have no past association with, and the Sears invoice only has my correct billing and shipping address.

The Sears thing I just found out about today, so I haven't heard from the seller yet, but I feel pretty confident I will get a refund if there's a problem with the seller, because you can clearly see the tracking shows it was delivered to the wrong city/zip.

I am receiving other packages from USPS just fine. I ended up finding the part I wanted on eBay and I received those shipments via USPS just fine.

It really feels unlikely to me the same kind of "mistake" like this can happen two times in a row in exactly the same way, so I'm trying to figure out WTF is going on. I mean, I get a refund, so the seller has to cover that cost, including whatever it cost to ship the item to the wrong address, so if this is some kind of scam, what are they getting out of it? The only thing I can think of is maybe they listed the item by accident and they don't actually have it (or deliberately listed the item that they don't actually have, but believe they are going to be able to get), and rather than cancel the order when they find that they can't get the item, they ship some cheap thing like an 8 GB thumb drive to the wrong address on purpose, then blame the shipping "error" on the post office, because (again I'm just guessing) maybe they get some kind of rating with Newegg / Sears / someone else for shipping 100% of their orders?

Unless someone has heard of this sort of thing and knows what this is about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
I had this happen to me on Newegg as well. Tried to buy a NAS off a reseller since it was $20 cheaper. It was "delivered" about two towns over, but the tracking didn't show an exact address, just the town. Contacted thr seller and they claimed that the package was damaged during delivery, even though the post office said it was likely sent to a fraudulent address.

They said they would ship out a new one, and about three days later I had a package from Amazon with the NAS. I have no idea what the point of this "scam" or whatever is.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
It's some kind of variation of this I think:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Package_redirection_scam

quote:

It can also be done by the seller, generally by creating fraudulent online stores or creating fake listings on sites such as eBay or Mercari. This makes it very hard to perform a chargeback, as the tracking shows the item has been delivered.

If they do a refund, it might be some kind of insurance fraud. (Just my guess.)

After I placed the Sears order, I became unable to log back in to my Sears.com account. Password reset shows as successful, but then I can't log in with the new password. Did 4 chats with them, they can't fix it. I personally believe the seller used some kind of vulnerability or script injection or some poo poo to make it so I can't log back in or reset my password, in a way that makes it so it can't be reset by any of the poo poo that support has access to. This makes it so I can't give them a bad review, and makes it harder for me to send them any messages.

I did send messages via Sears chat (the agent sends the seller an e-mail on my behalf, then I can e-mail the seller back via regular e-mail, going through Sears, if that makes sense). The seller kept telling me to wait so many days for the refund to process. Like 10 days later I just e-mailed Sears customer service and told them refund me or I do a chargeback. A day later I got the refund.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
My mom randomly got a package of contact solution from Costco in the mail the other day. She isn't a member there and there was no receipt in the box.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I’m the 90s the store I worked in had a random delivery arrive with no details except our address on it. No way to contact the sender at all. We held on to it for nearly a year before claiming it. It had:

Signed posters from the movie the crow
Signed baseball (joe DiMaggio)
Assorted signed and rare trading cards
Sports tops
A video of women doing the Macarena (seriously)
Assorted other collectables

I scored a crow poster and a signed hockey card (Brett Hull).