Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Our engineering department had their own little EV truck and were doing testing on noises that vehicles should be making. I think they called him Elmo or something but they made the thing basically babble away to himself as he tootled along at like 15mph. While it sounded stupid and weird, it was stupid and weird in a way that caught your attention because just what the gently caress is that noise and where is it coming from? Elmo was a little freak and I kinda miss him.

lol that rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/us-auto-agency-will-not-allow-ev-owners-pick-alert-sounds-2022-07-12/

quote:

WASHINGTON, July 12 (Reuters) - U.S. auto safety regulators on Tuesday scrapped a 2019 proposal that would have allowed automakers to offer a variety of sound choices for electric vehicles and other "quiet cars."

Electric vehicles are often harder to hear at lower speeds than gasoline-powered engines. Under rules mandated by Congress and finalized by NHTSA, automakers must add sounds to hybrid and electric vehicles when traveling at speeds of up to 18.6 miles per hour (30 km per hour) to help prevent injuries among pedestrians, cyclists and the blind.

NHTSA in 2019 proposed allowing automakers to install a number of driver-selectable pedestrian alert sounds in "quiet cars."

The agency said Tuesday the proposal "is not being adopted because of a lack of supporting data. ... Removing this restriction would allow manufacturers to make more obscure sounds that only appeal to a small minority of (hybrid electric) owners."

At higher speeds, tire noise, wind resistance and other factors eliminate the need for a separate alert sound, NHTSA says.

Tesla in February recalled 578,607 U.S. vehicles because pedestrians may not be able to hear required warning sounds of an approaching car due to loud music or other sounds played by its "Boombox" feature.

Tesla said the "Boombox function" allows sounds to be played through an external speaker while the vehicle is in motion and might obscure required Pedestrian Warning System sounds.

NHTSA projected the alerts would prevent 2,400 injuries annually by 2020 and cost the auto industry about $40 million annually because automakers needed to add an external waterproof speaker to comply. The benefits of reduced injuries are estimated at $250 million to $320 million annually.

The agency estimates the odds of a hybrid vehicle being involved in a pedestrian crash are 19% higher than with a traditional gasoline-powered vehicle. Last year, the number of pedestrians killed jumped 13% to 7,342, the highest number since 1981. The number bicyclists killed rose 5% to 985, the highest number since at least 1975.

Further - there's a lot that goes into the specific warning noises - they have to stand out against background noise, they have to indicate direction of travel properly, can't be ambiguous. Letting users change them to whatever is dangerous.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Model S, driver was a complete idiot.

:hmmyes: story checks out

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Motion to make Crazy Frog the official supplemental noise for EVs

Galloping hooves

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The r/fuckcars people are completely out of touch with reality and turn off anyone who isn't a terminally online leftist.

Every manual BMW I've driven (only a few and no ///M cars to be fair) has had terrible shifter feel. I read where someone once described it as something like "manipulating cadaver's dislocated elbow" and that's all I can think of.

Manuals are still more fun than automatics for many cars but modern autos are good and "slushbox" is a deprecated term.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Previa_fun posted:

Every manual BMW I've driven (only a few and no ///M cars to be fair) has had terrible shifter feel. I read where someone once described it as something like "manipulating cadaver's dislocated elbow" and that's all I can think of.

this is definitely true. ive driven a couple e30s, and in both of them the shifter was just atrocious. completely vague, no gate feel at all.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Anybody who removes a working catalytic converter (high flow cats...ehhhh it wouldn't actually pass emissions most likely but at least you're trying?) is an rear end in a top hat. A few hp for your dumb car at the expense of everyone's air makes you a dick.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/DanMentos/status/1591540139993759744?t=tqwe6yck52vlDj4YYI65iQ&s=19

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008
The consequences for doing emissions deletes on modern engines should be comically and absurdly punitive. If you get caught removing cats, or on Diesels the EGR, DEF, particulate, whatever, that car should be yours anymore, and if you are a mechanic, all licenses should be revoked, and either way you should be relieved of many thousand of dollars. For Gas engines, removing cats doesn't yield that much of a gain anyway anymore. For Diesel guys, I'm fully aware that removing all emissions gives you an engine that actually works as advertised and is reliable, E.G. no DEF regen nonsense, no EGR clogging everything, more MPG, less stuff to break, etc, BUT JUST BECAUSE THERE IS ALREADY TRASH ON THE BEACH DOESNT MEAN YOU GET TO ADD TO IT. The rationale that because individual owned Diesel engines only make up whatever low percentage of total CO2 and particulate emissions worldwide it doesn't matter that any one individual contributes to it is incredibly flawed. Spending $5k+ for a full delete so you can get a couple MPG and potentially avoid a future repair bill (probably less than 5k) is just stupid. But I guess you get to stick it to BIG GUBBMINT FOR STEALING ALL MY HERSEPEWERS

I feel like Bernie shaking my fist at individuals not doing their part for the good of all our air
Diesel dudes need to shut the hell up

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

intheflesh posted:

The consequences for doing emissions deletes on modern engines should be comically and absurdly punitive. If you get caught removing cats, or on Diesels the EGR, DEF, particulate, whatever, that car should be yours anymore, and if you are a mechanic, all licenses should be revoked, and either way you should be relieved of many thousand of dollars. For Gas engines, removing cats doesn't yield that much of a gain anyway anymore. For Diesel guys, I'm fully aware that removing all emissions gives you an engine that actually works as advertised and is reliable, E.G. no DEF regen nonsense, no EGR clogging everything, more MPG, less stuff to break, etc, BUT JUST BECAUSE THERE IS ALREADY TRASH ON THE BEACH DOESNT MEAN YOU GET TO ADD TO IT. The rationale that because individual owned Diesel engines only make up whatever low percentage of total CO2 and particulate emissions worldwide it doesn't matter that any one individual contributes to it is incredibly flawed. Spending $5k+ for a full delete so you can get a couple MPG and potentially avoid a future repair bill (probably less than 5k) is just stupid. But I guess you get to stick it to BIG GUBBMINT FOR STEALING ALL MY HERSEPEWERS

I feel like Bernie shaking my fist at individuals not doing their part for the good of all our air

on the flip side of this: bring back the rolling exemption. its fine and good that 60s and early 70s cars (i.e. the good ones) are allowed to run whatever they want; that way lies horsepower. but it majorly sucks that you can't take a smog dog 70s malaise-mobile and drop in a truck motor or whatever. or like, you cant even fix a miata with an LQ4 at all, and if you pay through the nose for an allowable (i.e. aluminum block out of a car) donor, you are then treated to some onerous paperwork bullshit.

how many enthusiasts are going to be going around souping up their poo poo? and how many of those resulting cars are going to run like crap? let joe average follow your draconian rules so that 99% of cars are clean and air quality doesnt suffer, and let those at the fringe play with the older stuff nobody else wants. its only going to be a rounding error in terms of emissions anyway

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

intheflesh posted:

On the diesel side, the manufacturers need to step up and make the emissions poo poo actually work correctly and last. The whole point of diesel trucks is the longevity and power for long distance hauling. Having a system that regularly breaks for no reason, costs a gently caress ton to repair, and will sideline the truck in 250 miles is a loving joke. It's fine and dandy for city and suburb folk to complain when Broseph down the block rips it all out and rolls coal through your neighborhood (and I hate the neighbor of mine whose kid has done this), but if you depend on the truck to make your living and live in the sticks, I completely understand ripping that poo poo out.

I had a NoX sensor die in my truck at 45k miles, during a trip from Massachusetts to Connecticut and back, which isn't a long trip. By the time I got home, I was limited to 55mph, with just enough mileage to get it to the dealer before that was cut down to 25mph. The cost: $2400 and a week of time. If I needed the truck to make my living, that's a tough pill to swallow. If I had been hauling cattle from Massachusetts to Virginia, I couldn't have loving made it, and what the hell do you do while you wait a week for repairs?

Double up on sensors, build a DEF injector worth a poo poo, don't have constant failures of DEF components, don't cripple the vehicle after 100 miles, and don't charge an assload for the repairs, and maybe people wouldn't be so inclined to remove it all. It's like smog-era gas cars that were completely crippled by emissions crap. The manufacturers fixed that and modern gas cars are clean and those systems are pretty loving reliable. It reminds me of the recycling bullshit: pushing the responsibility and cost onto the consumer sucks and results in intentional non-compliance.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
My ram god willing has been fine with its emissions equipment intact for almost 100k miles. If it does break a NOX sensor its $200.

My personal take - if its cheaper to delete than fix I would consider it. But we have powerstroke and cummins trucks with 500k-900k on the stock emissions systems so I think the issue is blown up a bit.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

rdb posted:

My ram god willing has been fine with its emissions equipment intact for almost 100k miles. If it does break a NOX sensor its $200.

My personal take - if its cheaper to delete than fix I would consider it. But we have powerstroke and cummins trucks with 500k-900k on the stock emissions systems so I think the issue is blown up a bit.

I've got at least 5 friends/colleagues with newish diesels and every one has had emissions issues. Ford, GM, and Dodge. Anecdotes are meaningless, though. The reliability ratings show that there are consistent issues. GM DEF heaters, sensors and injectors are all crap. You can't install them yourself without the computer to relearn the sensor values.

It would have been cheaper to delete than repair in my case, but I don't rely on the truck and live in the suburbs, so it got repaired. Plus, it's on commercial tags and I've heard that commercial DOT is starting to check during inspections.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

sharkytm posted:

I've got at least 5 friends/colleagues with newish diesels and every one has had emissions issues. Ford, GM, and Dodge. Anecdotes are meaningless, though. The reliability ratings show that there are consistent issues. GM DEF heaters, sensors and injectors are all crap. You can't install them yourself without the computer to relearn the sensor values.

It would have been cheaper to delete than repair in my case, but I don't rely on the truck and live in the suburbs, so it got repaired. Plus, it's on commercial tags and I've heard that commercial DOT is starting to check during inspections.

I am done driving mine every day, its going to be relegated to towing, hauling and bad weather. Around here 90% of the diesel trucks are deleted and probably 50% of them have red diesel in the tank. Zero enforcement but who knows how long that will last.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
And these are just little trucks! Then there's the trucking company with a fleet of Cummins ISX engines that eat EGR coolers at a rate of nearly every other fill up. Even with numerous revisions they're still unreliable as hell. There's no way to keep a business turning when there's fickle poo poo like this that is engineered not to last. 100 mile limited limp mode with ever reduced speed rating doesn't get cargo to where it needs to go. That gray hazy smokey fucker that smells like burning death? Yeah that's DPF doing its regen thing on the fly if it hasn't outright broken. That poo poo s t i n k s.

Which if there's no regen system the DPF has a limited lifetime then it needs to be removed and sent off to be burnt out, shipped back, and reinstalled. These things cost 15-30 thou a pop under the retrofit rules here in CA. I've considered putting a DPF on my ancient farm truck. It actually has EGR in a way by using a zero overlap cam profile. It's brilliant in a way but also not as proper EGR systems use coolant to cool the thousand degree Fahrenheit gases and this does not. This leads to hotter combustion temps which drives the NOx up and additional stress on the engine itself.
I'm with you on the stupid idiots taking this poo poo off their texas cadillac and cranking the wick up till a thirty thousand dollar engine becomes as reliable as a EJ25T with a lean condition. But also gently caress a half baked system that is poorly engineered and has a built in system that prevents the thing from being able to work around it. Back in the days of old when computerized engines were becoming a thing in class 8 they'd be provided with a switch on the dash for overriding the ecm shutting the engine down as a fail safe. Bring it back. It was a momentary switch and would only work for 30-60 seconds.

Which hot take? Charge a customer 20 dollars more and build a quality loving product around quality loving engineering. Stop farting out poo poo to consumers with corners cut. loving thing is already pushing a hundred grand (or a tractor that's three hundred grand), what's another 100 or even 500 dollars.

and hot take number two. gently caress all this poo poo put it back on drat rail like it was for our great grand parents.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

intheflesh posted:

Completely agree in principle however:
Rolling exemptions are necessary (finding emissions gear for old cars fuckin sucks poo poo and I hate it)
Visual inspections and most other requirements are bullshit, if a car passes a sniff test it should be good enough.
This is all largely pissing in the wind compared to moving more freight to the almighty train.
Emissions regulations need to take into account the fact that there has yet to be a modern diesel that actually works with this poo poo and the regulators need to be more flexible. I had an experience with a work van that nearly ran out of emissions juice and if it wasn't for my dodgy friends I would have been stuck in limp mode.

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

Raluek posted:

on the flip side of this: bring back the rolling exemption. its fine and good that 60s and early 70s cars (i.e. the good ones) are allowed to run whatever they want; that way lies horsepower. but it majorly sucks that you can't take a smog dog 70s malaise-mobile and drop in a truck motor or whatever. or like, you cant even fix a miata with an LQ4 at all, and if you pay through the nose for an allowable (i.e. aluminum block out of a car) donor, you are then treated to some onerous paperwork bullshit.

how many enthusiasts are going to be going around souping up their poo poo? and how many of those resulting cars are going to run like crap? let joe average follow your draconian rules so that 99% of cars are clean and air quality doesnt suffer, and let those at the fringe play with the older stuff nobody else wants. its only going to be a rounding error in terms of emissions anyway

Is this still a law? I grew up in California, and I remember the law being that anything 25+ years didn't matter at all, and engine swaps on things less than 25 years old were fine as long as the engine came from a newer model year than the chassis you kept all the emmissions equipment from the new engine. And yeah I think enthusiasts doing stuff to 10+ year odl cars should be a much more relaxed set of laws verses people doing stuff to brand new cars or companies operating fleets of diesels.
When I sold cars, it was a pretty standard move to get the customers talking about what they wanted to do to their new car or whatever customizations they would do over the next few years. It was wild how many truck guys would just matter-of-factly drop that the second it is out of warranty all emissions equipment would come off and the coal tunes they would put on or whatever. T

big dong wanter posted:

Rolling exemptions are necessary (finding emissions gear for old cars fuckin sucks poo poo and I hate it)
Visual inspections and most other requirements are bullshit, if a car passes a sniff test it should be good enough.

Oh for sure, anything past like 10 or 15 years is such a small percent of cars anyway. And visual inspectsions should have been axed years ago. I remember a thread on VWVORTEX way back in the day where this guy kept getting failed because he used a different heatshield on top of his stock turbo on his GTI and the inspector wouldn't budge. Humans are much more fallible than the sniff test

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

intheflesh posted:

Is this still a law? I grew up in California, and I remember the law being that anything 25+ years didn't matter at all

yep. it used to be a 30 year rolling exemption, then it was frozen in perpetuity at 1975. so i guess that was in uhh 1975+30=2005, a year before i got my license lol. good thing ive never owned anything newer than 1969, other than my bike, which doesn't get tested either

intheflesh posted:

engine swaps on things less than 25 years old were fine as long as the engine came from a newer model year than the chassis you kept all the emmissions equipment from the new engine.

this part is sort of true, anything 1976+ can have a swap but the donor has to be newer, like you said, but it also has to come from the same type of vehicle (so no cheap truck motors), and it has to then stay all original-to-the-donor-vehicle. plus, you can't just do the swap, you need to compile a binder of receipts and documentation, and have a state referee go over everything with a fine toothed comb

imo just leave old-car perverts alone, the external impacts are negligible but the hassle put on the individual is significant

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
* gently caress as much freight off onto rail as you can, including by building new rails and electrifying as much as possible. Electrifying heavy trucks is a struggle, but eliminate those where you can and smaller trucks for urban deliveries become more viable and those are easier to fully or partially electrify.
* Make the diesel emission poo poo work right and also have heavier regulation around warranty and replacement costs.
* Stuff around rolling exemptions or better leniency over replacement equipment. Sorry I can't find OEM cats, or they're thousands of dollars. Let me use (quality) aftermarket parts! Make me pass an appropriate sniff test! That way you cover not just exhaust but intake, ECU, all that poo poo that needs a CARB # or whatever.
* Intentionally rolling coal should be punished harshly, as should intentionally defeating (hopefully now correctly working) emissions equipment.

Going back to something sharky mentioned though - it's not about urban vs country. The thing about diesel particulate emissions is they don't give a gently caress, unlike CO2 which is a global problem, particulate emissions do damage exactly where they're released. Yes, cities have it worse thanks to density (one example would be the high rates of respiratory disease around the many ports and the routes feeding them), but it's not unheard of for rural areas to have say, school bus services right? Guess what your rural kid is inhaling waiting at the driveway or bus stop, from the coal rollers and heavy trucks and farm equipment. It's smaller scale but just as damaging to your kid. Diesel emissions alone are estimated to cause something like 20,000 premature deaths a year in the US, 30,000 in Europe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
hot take in Indiana:

trucks suck huge suvs suck and i hope our crumbling infrastructure destroys your loving rolling debt

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

BuckyDoneGun posted:

* gently caress as much freight off onto rail as you can, including by building new rails and electrifying as much as possible. Electrifying heavy trucks is a struggle, but eliminate those where you can and smaller trucks for urban deliveries become more viable and those are easier to fully or partially electrify.
* Make the diesel emission poo poo work right and also have heavier regulation around warranty and replacement costs.
* Stuff around rolling exemptions or better leniency over replacement equipment. Sorry I can't find OEM cats, or they're thousands of dollars. Let me use (quality) aftermarket parts! Make me pass an appropriate sniff test! That way you cover not just exhaust but intake, ECU, all that poo poo that needs a CARB # or whatever.
* Intentionally rolling coal should be punished harshly, as should intentionally defeating (hopefully now correctly working) emissions equipment.

Going back to something sharky mentioned though - it's not about urban vs country. The thing about diesel particulate emissions is they don't give a gently caress, unlike CO2 which is a global problem, particulate emissions do damage exactly where they're released. Yes, cities have it worse thanks to density (one example would be the high rates of respiratory disease around the many ports and the routes feeding them), but it's not unheard of for rural areas to have say, school bus services right? Guess what your rural kid is inhaling waiting at the driveway or bus stop, from the coal rollers and heavy trucks and farm equipment. It's smaller scale but just as damaging to your kid. Diesel emissions alone are estimated to cause something like 20,000 premature deaths a year in the US, 30,000 in Europe.

It IS a country vs urban thing. Urban centers have plenty of dealers to fix the issues, and fewer residents who need the long haul reliability of a diesel truck. If the nearest GMC dealer is 4 hours and 250 miles away, good loving luck convincing a farmer to fix his emissions sensors instead of having mechanic Dale-down-the-road do the delete while he's loading code into the farmer's John Deere tractor.

The vast number of premature deaths are from places like West Oakland where heavy trucks queue for hours to access the port facilities, the Lehigh Valley where there are endless warehouses and massive numbers of trucks in the valley, or dense urban centers with substantial freight traffic.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Emissions stuff

The NZ government needs to stop being cowards and introduce proper emissions standards.

That'll stop nonsense like VW doing a different, less efficient engines and transmissions for our market just because they can.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I lived in berkeley by the tracks with no hvac. After a week there'd be a fine dust of soot on everything. I eventually got a window a/c unit.
Downtown San Diego wasn't much better. My balcony would be black from all the diesel soot if I didn't scrub it every other week. I was near the Port of San Diego and the MTS building with heavy rail passing nearby.

When the dealer is 4 hours away, what are you gonna do? call them to come get it 4hrs away? Use your other broken poo poo tractor to haul it in? Loss of a day getting it there. Loss of a day picking it up.
Last time I relied on a Ford dealer for parts/service I got the feeling I was wasting their time by not buying a new F250 platinum. They still got me the wrong poo poo anyway.

Rhyno posted:

trucks suck huge suvs suck and i hope our crumbling infrastructure destroys your loving rolling debt

It would if they ever got used for hauling anything bigger than a key fob sized cock.

CA smogs gassers newer than '76, diesels under 14k gvr newer than '98. It is possible to repower a vehicle as long as the donor has all of the emissions systems intact and functioning, it is the same year or newer, and is a light/medium duty engine only.
Motos exempt. Red sticker bikes can't be made street legal. Green can so long as there is no 3 or C in the Vin's engine digit. (8th position)
Diesels over 14k gvr require a dpf retrofit if older than 10 years but otherwise do not get smogged.
RVs typically get treated as cars/light trucks for smog. Converting a heavy truck/bus to a rv makes it subject to rv rules and not truck rules.

Diesels were exempt till all the flatbillers with 2500s hauling 40 foot toyhaulers out to glamis with tunes set to meltdown. There for a while CHP was throwing easy overweight/illegal modification tickets at those fucks.

It chaps my rear end a little that heavy rail and ships can still run gross polluting two stroke diesels out here but they go after joe dildo with a couple dirtbikes and a lovely hosed up gasser work truck.

E: more annoying stupid bullshit that comes to mind.
My bike is a weirdo austrian dualsport tractor from the early 2000s.
It has two fuel tanks and twin cylinders with carburetors.
It shipped originally with two catalytic converters that weighed ten pounds each. They would burn hot enough that using the bike like described, it would melt the bodywork and the luggage.
It had an air injection system with all one off parts with an air injection system per bank. There's two banks of cylinders. There is no support for this system now, nor was there 5 years after the bike was sold. There's a one way valve in the head that will carbon foul as it shares a passage with the exhaust. The solenoid actuators were primitive and would also fail.
The evap system ties into both tanks and utilizes more one off special hardware. Filling the bike up and parking it damages the canister. This is a issue in automotive too, however they have specially designed filler necks to prevent completely filling the tank. When it fails it would prevent equalization between the two tanks and sometimes pulling a vacuum on one. Other times it would pressurize one tank leading to a 'volcano of fuel' when the fuel cap is opened. The soft-recall solution at the time was to drill a hole in both tanks and run a tube between them to manually equalize. This too became a liability in short order and would leak fuel as the system aged as this also used non ethanol compatible rubber.
The fuel camps have special valve blocks that work with the evap system. They clog with dirt or grime and fail.
The pcv system wasn't really a pcv system at all. If the bike was filled to its designed oil capacity (which the owners manual, frame, and service manual have three differing published fill levels) the bike would begin to ingest its own oil at an accelerated rate, which will foul the AIS system, catalysts and potentially cause the catalysts to overheat.

All this poo poo was long deleted by the time I came along. I won't bother even trying to source the components to return it to functioning. I did build a homebrew pcv system that works really well with an oil separator from a honda.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 20, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i'm sure they think their key fobs are HUGE

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BuckyDoneGun posted:

* Intentionally rolling coal should be punished harshly,

If caught with it, a fine, repair cost plus random police checks to ensure compliance.

If caught deliberately rolling coal at a pedestrian or cyclist I'm sorry but we're crushing your truck and removing your license. Intentionally causing harm to another human with a vehicle means you no longer get to drive.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

sharkytm posted:

It IS a country vs urban thing. Urban centers have plenty of dealers to fix the issues, and fewer residents who need the long haul reliability of a diesel truck. If the nearest GMC dealer is 4 hours and 250 miles away, good loving luck convincing a farmer to fix his emissions sensors instead of having mechanic Dale-down-the-road do the delete while he's loading code into the farmer's John Deere tractor.

The vast number of premature deaths are from places like West Oakland where heavy trucks queue for hours to access the port facilities, the Lehigh Valley where there are endless warehouses and massive numbers of trucks in the valley, or dense urban centers with substantial freight traffic.

Which is why I said manufacturers need to make poo poo that works, and support it when it doesn't.

I also said that dense area have the biggest problem, but you seemed to miss the point that country kids aren't immune to locally sourced diesel particulates or nothing, their lungs suck 'em up just the same.

dissss posted:

The NZ government needs to stop being cowards and introduce proper emissions standards.

That'll stop nonsense like VW doing a different, less efficient engines and transmissions for our market just because they can.

Minimum Euro 5 for light and 6 for heavy vehicles, so we're not *that* far behind, assuming the ADR/Japan/US equivalents also allowed aren't that far apart. Especially so now Euro 7 has been pushed back.

We're ultimately still held back by being a tiny poor island nation who gets what they can, including many of us only able to afford used JDM castoffs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the ioniq 5 looks cool but the ioniq 6 is derivative and ugly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Which is why I said manufacturers need to make poo poo that works, and support it when it doesn't.

I also said that dense area have the biggest problem, but you seemed to miss the point that country kids aren't immune to locally sourced diesel particulates or nothing, their lungs suck 'em up just the same.

You equated country kids at the bus stop with residents of dense urban areas, which is a false equivalency. Exposure duration is the key factor, and rural areas don't suffer from the 24/7/365 emissions that cities do. It's not just as damaging, unless you ignore the time constants. I never said that country kids were immune, but it's far far less daily exposure. Of course, lots of country kids work in/live adjacent to industries where they're exposed to high concentrations of particulates from other sources (farming, timber, factory work, mining, and other high-acreage jobs that only can exist in the rural areas), but the rural population suffers the most impact of the emissions laws with few of the benefits. Sure their air is marginally cleaner, but the costs aren't worth it to them. I grew up on the rural/suburb divide, so I saw it first hand. Farms would get sold and subdivided, DC metro folks would buy in and immediately start working against rural interests. I moved away and I'm watching it happen with working waterfront and fishing regulations again.

My biggest issue is that these laws get passed by well-meaning liberal folks, but they can't comprehend why they don't work for rural folks, and the backlash then spreads to suburban shitheads who want to "own the libs". It drives partisan division and malicious compliance (or intentional non-compliance). Very few people want the environment to be destroyed, but the special interests can frame it as an "us vs them" debate, all the while pocketing the profits and power.

I'm not blaming you personally at all, and sorry if it came across that way. It's very frustrating to see both sides of this issue working against one another instead of combining together to actually try to fix it.