Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
This is thread for posting about regional dishes - in your area or places you've been and the foods there you've tried.

I'll start us off:

Shimonoseki is the fugu (河豚) capital of Japan, and fugu is considered the symbol and regional dish of that city. They even have a Fugu Festival every year in February.

They call like to call it "fuku" there, meaning "luck". I had heard something like 90% or 95% of the world's or Japan's fugu are caught there - I can't find the exact number, but suffice to say - it's big there.

The most common preparation here is in sashimi form:

Though other preparations exists.

While some people report a slight tingling sensation they attribute to tiny doses of poison in the meat, it's likely that it's just psychosomatic, as even a small amount can be very, very bad for you, and great care is taken to carefully remove the poisonous parts. Unfortunately, there are occasionally fatalities from people attempting to prepare their own fugu at home. Do not try this!

It is somewhat expensive and - well, - not very delicious imo. It's a lot like chewy water. No real flavor, just kind of rubbery. Still, if you're in the area, I would recommend trying it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Ready for this OP?

Crab Omelette

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
lotta poutine around here

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lotta poutine around here

I heard that "True" Poutine™️ includes foie gras - confirm or deny.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Literally A Person posted:

Ready for this OP?

Crab Omelette

Thank you for spoiler tagging this for me so I could read it when I was ready, which was now.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

This is the closest I'll ever get to eating fugu, but it was okay. The horse was better.

Louisiana is a land of delicious food, my favorites are boudin (a type of sausage with pork, rice, and some veggies and seasoning) and of course crawfish, which I could eat every day.

Texas had many Czech immigrants and they brought with them kolaches, like a giant pig in a blanket but the dough is soft and fluffy and there is often cheese and jalapeños included.

They also come in sweet varieties with the same fluffy dough and fruit in the center.

Much harder to find and much less regional, but if you're in a place with a lot of cattle ranching going on, you might get the opportunity to eat a calf fry, or as it is more commonly known, a rocky mountain oyster. For those who may not know, they are deep fried calf testicles. They taste kinda like fried ground beef with a bit of gamey flavor, like some ground deer was added. Not bad!

Also one time a coworker from the Midwest told me about a salad they had up there called a "snickers salad." hosed up.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Shadow0 posted:

hell no. the most popular etymology is that it comes from the bastardization of the quebecois french word for "pudding", in this case more akin to meaning "messy food" or "slop". popular origin tales usually involve some madman asking for a handful cheese curds (basically the cheapest/easiest cheese you can make, unripened and very fresh) on some pomme frites with beef gravy drizzled on top. it was maligned by proper quebecois as rural hick food for decades, to be consumed with/after copious amounts of beer and definitely not indicative of quebec cuisine in any way

only later after attempts to elevate it to fancy cultural heritage status did fois gras and duck gravy and lobster begin to creep in. nowadays it's a generic quebecois/canadian (although true quebecois would refuse to allow canadians to appropriate quebec cuisine in this way) dish you can find at mcdonalds and a&w, and buy a $20 version of from new york fries.

but when i'm deep in the woods at rallye baie de chaleurs or charlevoix or defi, in dairy country, the truest poutine made of those 3 ingredients can be found on every corner, and it's a glorious pile of slop you can't get anywhere else

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
basically :quebec:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Friend posted:

This is the closest I'll ever get to eating fugu, but it was okay. The horse was better.

Oh sweet! I want to try those.

Friend posted:

Texas had many Czech immigrants and they brought with them kolaches, like a giant pig in a blanket but the dough is soft and fluffy and there is often cheese and jalapeños included.

They also come in sweet varieties with the same fluffy dough and fruit in the center.

These look amazing!

There's a soda from Czech called Kofola my coworker told me about. He said it tasted a bit like cleaning fluid.

I had some shipped to me and,
it's, uh, not great, not bad either though. But I did have it shipped, so maybe it's better when it's shaken up less.

Dunno if that counts as a regional food, but I guess it's famous enough my coworker told me about it when I asked about Czech food, haha.

Friend posted:

Also one time a coworker from the Midwest told me about a salad they had up there called a "snickers salad." hosed up.

My life is slightly worse off by knowing about this.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

cheese curds (basically the cheapest/easiest cheese you can make, unripened and very fresh)

I've actually made cheese curds myself. You need some special ingredients like rennet (usually) or maybe some calcium chloride, but it's totally worth it. A lot of fun! And great taste.
Up in Wisconsin, they have deep fried cheese curds. I've also made these myself (with the cheese curds I made myself). I think that's also a regional thing. You can get deep fried cheese curds from Culver's though if you have them around you.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Shadow0 posted:

As a non-Canadian I am unqualified to judge authenticity, but when I was in Montreal I did have poutine with foie gras and it was pretty good. So at the very least it's not mythical.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
another thing in quebec is yellow pea soup (soupe aux pois). this is incredible home made in the winter, especially when you've been in a race car all day and are retiring to the cottage in the woods where an old french couple serve it to you with beer and fresh baked bread and chat in mixed french and english before bed

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Down here in San Diego, we have the California Burrito

its french fries in a carne asada burrito
Although named the :airquote: California :airquote: burrito, this is an extremely San Diego thing and doesn't really exist elsewhere in the state (except upon request)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

How can it be called California if it doesn't have avocados in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

https://ahoylemon.github.io/notpoutine.fyi/