Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i drank like three meal replacement shakes today so let's talk about them.

what is a meal replacement? a meal replacement is a fortified, low-volume ingestible, usually a shake, bar, or soup, that can be consumed as a substitute for a solid meal. they are usually calorie controlled, and usually contain upwards of 20 vitamins and minerals at significant levels - technically anything can be a meal replacement, but what makes a food a true meal replacement is it being nutritionally and calorically comparable to a balanced meal. meal replacements should not be used as a full-time substitute for balanced meals, and it's actually illegal in the eu for meal replacement packaging not to warn you specifically not to do this, but they're a great way to add a few more nutrients into your diet if you struggle with getting it into your meals, or to fill yourself up quickly when you're in a time crunch.

what meal replacements are out there? i'm so glad you asked! i'll list a few brands for you.

- huel: my personal favourite, huel is a uk-based brand that makes pre-mixed shakes, meal replacement powder, and savoury meal replacement packs. huel is available across the uk, europe, and the eu, and all of their products are entirely vegan, low sugar, and soy free. their shakes, which are by far their most popular products, are also gluten free.

- yfood: yfood is a uk based brand that makes snack bars, powders, and shakes. most of their products are not vegan, with the majority of them containing egg, but they have a vegan line of shakes. they are sold on their website and in holland and barrett stores across the uk.

- bol: bol is another uk based brand, selling shakes, soups, instant noodles, and soup powders. you can buy bol products in many major british supermarkets. they're all vegan, and packed in reusable glass packaging. one thing i especially like about bol is the originality of their flavours - instead of the standard vanilla/chocolate/banana fare you tend to get with meal replacement shakes, you can also get mango coconut shakes, charcoal ramen, and pesto pasta. super super cool.

- soylent: probably the most well known meal replacement brand, soylent is based out of the us and sells nut-free vegan bars, powders, and shakes. their products are soy-based. some of their drinks are also caffeinated.

- squareat: incredibly disconcerting, but also very cool, squareat takes portion control to a whole new level by making ready to eat 45g servings of a variety of ingredients, including chicken, beans, zucchini, hazelnut, and sweet potato. these are a little more versatile than some of the other options as you can eat them however you'd like - they can be reheated, they can be air fried, they can be roasted, if you want to use the ingredients outside of their intended meal replacement purpose, you can.

can i make my own meal replacements? sure you can! many a person has sought to take the fuss out of eating by making nutrition mush. for a long time i used to drink this coconut chocolate breakfast concoction made out of half a pint of coconut water, half a pint of chocolate oat milk, a heaped tablespoon of peanut butter, a heaped tablespoon of chia seeds, a little soy yoghurt, and a scoop of pea protein. it wasn't great. but it did the job. i encourage you to post your recipes in this thread.

please share all of your thoughts on meal replacements, and your personal experiences with them, in this thread - i am a big huel shake guy so i look forward to hearing them!

eta: i misspelled thread in the title but it's funny so i think i'll keep it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

why do u hate urself

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

pandy fackler posted:

why do u hate urself

i know meal replacements are totally dystopian in an odd sort of way, but even tho i love cooking i struggle with a number of health issues - most importantly colon damage, but i'm also severely anaemic, and i will be on hrt that gives me severe cystic acne if i eat poorly for the rest of my life - that make it INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT that i get as close to hitting my macros as possible, while avoiding certain ingredients. the occasional meal replacement helps keep me intact so i can stand up for long enough to cook things i enjoy

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I used to like Carnation Instant Breakfast when I was a kid :shobon: I don't know if that was any good for you but it tasted nice.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i know meal replacements are totally dystopian in an odd sort of way, but even tho i love cooking i struggle with a number of health issues - most importantly colon damage, but i'm also severely anaemic, and i will be on hrt that gives me severe cystic acne if i eat poorly for the rest of my life - that make it INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT that i get as close to hitting my macros as possible, while avoiding certain ingredients. the occasional meal replacement helps keep me intact so i can stand up for long enough to cook things i enjoy

Sorry for being a jerk! I had a really bad MLM meal replacement forced down every morning of half my childhood so I got flashbacks. On a related note definitely do not drink USANA instant breakfast shakes if they still exist.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I've started my adventure with Huel recently, after I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and started working on losing weight. To help combat sugar cravings, a friend of mine gave me a bag of chocolate Huel powder, and I'm really liking it, to my surprise. I add a spoon of shredded 75% chocolate and half spoon of erytrytol to make it a little sweeter and more chocolatey, though. Works great for an evening meal (I work late hours, 2-10PM).

Today I tried the hot & savoury "tomato & herb" thing, and another surprise, poo poo tastes great.

Later this month I will bite the bullet and order some more of the hot & savoury meals.

Any tips on jazzing up the Huel shakes? What additions will work with it? Also which flavours do you recommend? I hears some pretty dire opinions about the fruit ones.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

laserghost posted:

I've started my adventure with Huel recently, after I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and started working on losing weight. To help combat sugar cravings, a friend of mine gave me a bag of chocolate Huel powder, and I'm really liking it, to my surprise. I add a spoon of shredded 75% chocolate and half spoon of erytrytol to make it a little sweeter and more chocolatey, though. Works great for an evening meal (I work late hours, 2-10PM).

Today I tried the hot & savoury "tomato & herb" thing, and another surprise, poo poo tastes great.

Later this month I will bite the bullet and order some more of the hot & savoury meals.

Any tips on jazzing up the Huel shakes? What additions will work with it? Also which flavours do you recommend? I hears some pretty dire opinions about the fruit ones.

i'm a big huel guy and the fruit ones are admittedly not for me - the banana one is very popular amongst my friends, but personally it reminds me a lot of that banana flavoured antibiotic that you give to children with the flu. chocolate is my favourite, but i've lately been a big fan of the cinnamon swirl, and i think it'd make for a really great coffee creamer, and really good in overnight oats, too. same goes for the vanilla. there's actually a recipes section on the huel website that you might find helpful: https://uk.huel.com/blogs/recipes?page=1

best of luck with it all!!

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I just ordered a Soylent variety pack to try their flavors. I'm curious if eating a meal replacement for lunch several days per week can help with weight management.

Maybe I'll hate it, maybe not! I'm happy to run a test.

I am now very interested in other people's meal replacement experiences, though I respect that many people might find these unappealing. I'm not here for a great, delicious meal with all the home cooked warm fuzzies. I'm here for a healthy, balanced meal in a highly controlled package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Sounds like it might fit better in YLLS than in the home cooking forum