Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pick the Class, May Contain rear end
This poll is closed.
Dark/Black Knight 0 0%
Sage 1 2.94%
Cryomancer 3 8.82%
Assassin/Nightblade 7 20.59%
Necromancer 6 17.65%
Fanatic/Zealot 4 11.76%
Berserker/Barbarian 2 5.88%
Archer/Ranger 7 20.59%
Red Mage 4 11.76%
Pyro Knight 0 0%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Johntimus
Sep 24, 2022

A terrible night to have a blurse
Introduction:

I'm pretty sure most of you know From Software. Once a relatively obscure developer of niche games on the PS1 and 2, they first gained some notoriety with Armored Core, though it was the PS3 game Demon's Souls that actually caused people to take notice; then, midway through the 360/PS3 generation, Dark Souls happened, people realized From makes kickass games, and the rest is history.

Elden Ring is their latest action RPG, and though some have said it's basically open world Dark Souls, that's a tad reductive and doesn't get to the heart of what makes it so great. It pulls from the DNA of each previous Souls game in some way - Demon's included - and this new horrifying, undead Chimera is already the top contender for 2022 GOTY.

That whole thing about the mixed DNA really comes through in the variety of play styles you can choose. Though Dark Souls 2 was seen as the black sheep of the Soulslike lineage, it was my personal favorite. A lot of that comes down to the variety of builds and abilities you can utilize. It's also the part of Elden Ring's DNA that makes it one of my favorite RPGs in years.

This LP will not be a complete tour of the game. I'll be skipping dungeons/map areas/etc that are not relevant to my build. Also, because I'm not insane and don't hate myself, I'm not going to spend centuries grinding on bog standard enemies. I'll be using the easy leveling trick at some point. It will be at "the spot". Those who know, know.

Attached is a poll. There are a lot of choices here, and I have rough concepts for what each build will be like. Whatever build the community picks is the one I'll run with, and you'll learn more about my endgame as I proceed.

For now...CHOOSE! CHOOSE THE FORM OF THE DESTRUCTOR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Wretch.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Wow, jumping straight in with insults for the OP, very rude.

I vote prisoner!

Looking forward to seeing this go forward.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Wretch is one note and boring, STR + FTH is too easy. DEX + INT enchanted knight.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Gonna go with Samurai. The least setting-appropriate class but it has the most fun starting weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johntimus
Sep 24, 2022

A terrible night to have a blurse

Yes, I know I am one. I take pride in that.

A bit over 24 hours left to vote! Currently, Assassin and Ranger are tied, but Necromancer and Red Mage are close behind.

So since those are in the lead, I'll give some thoughts on how I'd do them.

Assassin would use light armor, night sorceries, and dodge a lot. Also stealthy, ofc

Ranger would start out using melee but switch to full archery as soon as viable, using buffs and stuff too. Light armor.

Necromancer would essentially use spirit summons to do its dirty work (you know, raising the dead and all), also death sorceries.

Red Mage would be like the Final Fantasy version: limited to low and mid-tier spells, capable of using only medium armor/shields, and restricted to non-colossal/great weapons.