Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
The game is definitely worth a shot. But if you're looking for some resolution there's a fairly lengthy explanation of the events in the game here: https://www.pocketgamer.com/her-story/her-story-explained-the-complete-story-walkthrough-spoilers/

Wikipedia has a more concise write-up which includes a couple of crucial lines (bolded) missing from the above link, the last couple of lines reveal who you are playing as well:

quote:

The interview tapes feature a woman who introduces herself as Hannah Smith (Viva Seifert), whose husband, Simon, has gone missing, and is later found murdered. Hannah admits that she and Simon had argued, but has an alibi placing her in Glasgow when Simon disappeared. As more pieces of the interviews are discovered, it is claimed that "Hannah" is actually two women: Hannah and Eve, identical twins separated at birth by the midwife, Florence. Florence, whose husband died during the war, desperately wanted to have kids, but did not believe in remarrying, so she faked the death of one of the twins to claim one for herself. Florence deliberately kept Eve indoors as much as possible and the twins were unaware of each other's existence until years later. When Florence died, Eve secretly moved in with Hannah at which point they decided to act as a single person, keeping a common diary and a set of rules defining their actions as "Hannah". Hannah's parents were oblivious, and assumed that Eve was Hannah's imaginary friend.

Hannah eventually began dating Simon, whom she had met at a glazier where they both worked. Despite their rules to share equally, Hannah slept with Simon and became pregnant. She gradually became possessive of Simon and forbade Eve from interacting with him. Because of the pregnancy, Hannah and Simon were married and moved in together while Eve moved out to her own apartment and began wearing a wig. Hannah miscarried in her eighth month and believed she was infertile afterward. Some time later, Simon encountered Eve in a bar she was singing at. Smitten by her resemblance, the two began an affair. Eve became pregnant but never told Simon and hid the identity of the father from Hannah. On their birthday, after Simon gave Hannah a handmade mirror as a gift, Hannah revealed to him the existence of Eve and her pregnancy. From his reaction, Hannah realised that Simon was the father of Eve's child. After kicking Simon out of the house, she argued with Eve over the affair, causing the latter to leave and drive to Glasgow. When Simon returned, Hannah pretended to be Eve by wearing her wig. Thinking she was Eve, Simon gifted her a similar handmade mirror and professed his desire to be with Eve rather than Hannah. Hannah became furious and revealed her identity. She later claims that, as they fought, she shattered the mirror and inadvertently cut Simon's throat with a shard of it while trying to fend him off. When Eve returned, she found Hannah sitting next to Simon's lifeless body. The two agreed that Eve's baby was the priority so they hid Simon's body and used Eve's trip to Glasgow as an alibi for the time of his disappearance. At the end of the final interview, Eve says that Hannah is "gone ... and she's never coming back" but mockingly asks "can you arrest someone who doesn't exist?". She then requests a lawyer, and says that her comments are just "stories". It is not entirely clear if Eve's story of being an identical twin is true, an intentional fabrication meant to confuse the police, or a case of dissociative identity disorder, with pieces of evidence in-game lending credence to each theory.

As the player uncovers enough of the story, a chat window appears asking if they are finished. Upon answering affirmatively, it is revealed that the player is Sarah, Eve's daughter. The chat asks Sarah if she understands her mother's actions, and asks to meet her outside.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Thanks for showing off what you did, Sage. I know the decision wasn't quite the same, but the game does seem to feel less interesting once you get about halfway in. I felt I knew what happened, but it would still be a lot of work to make it all the way to uncovering each clip. Still, there are few games like it (though it has inspired several since it came out).

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't remember, but since the attempt at an alibi was Eve going to a hospital in Aberdeen, that suggests that Hannah was the killer. Testimony also suggested that since Simon had an affair with Eve on purpose, that's motive.

The thing about that, though is that they faked the time of death (or time of the accident? I forget which) by changing the watch. So the alibi actually isn't airtight.

One thing I got from this LP is that the game really remains ambiguous about whether Eve and Hannah are actually separate people, even when you get through to the end. Granted it's a movie-style 'multiple identities' that isn't very realistic, but the alternative of a twin hiding almost in plain sight is just as outlandish.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

The game is definitely worth a shot. But if you're looking for some resolution there's a fairly lengthy explanation of the events in the game here: https://www.pocketgamer.com/gadgets-and-tech/jacknife-gamer-gamepad/

Think you may have mixed up your link there.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

ZCKaiser posted:

Think you may have mixed up your link there.

Thank you, I've fixed it now. I shortened the original link a little too much.

Edit: What the hell link did I originally post?

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 10, 2023

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Thanks for the LP as it is. It makes perfect sense to lose interest, and it's perfectly fine to stop when that's happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

The game is definitely worth a shot. But if you're looking for some resolution there's a fairly lengthy explanation of the events in the game here: https://www.pocketgamer.com/her-story/her-story-explained-the-complete-story-walkthrough-spoilers/

Wikipedia has a more concise write-up which includes a couple of crucial lines (bolded) missing from the above link, the last couple of lines reveal who you are playing as well:

Thanks! I appreciate the summary.