Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Problem description: I had some first-party software on my Windows 10 machine randomly not work any more after a period of disuse (specifically, the software tried to download an update but CTD'd after hanging at 0%). I first cleared more storage, then attempted to update my system as potential fixes. However, the System Update tool in Settings was also not working properly. It offered me a Windows 10 update (2022-09 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 version 21H2 for x64-based systems (KB5017380)) and says that my computer doesn't meet minimum specs for Windows 11 because I don't have TPM 2.0; the Windows 10 update would fail mid-download with error code (0x80070570). I tried googled suggestions in my BIOS to enable TPM/amdTPM but these were not registered in-OS; the updater still said I didn't meet requirements. I determined that OS reset/repair was probably in order and attempted the methods described below. Finally, after several reboots, Windows no longer loads at all--I can access the recovery environment, but it hangs indefinitely on the grey spinning-dots load screen. Attempts to use the recovery environment's reset & repair options have been unsuccessful.

My best guess at a next step is buying and swapping in a fresh SSD but I'm hoping there's a more expedient solution :sigh:

Attempted fixes: I have attempted all the file repair and reset options that came up for me through searches; all returned errors or didn't complete.

• Using the Windows reset options in the Settings pane: Tried all permutations of the options between keeping and erasing files, downloading the ISO or using a local copy, and completely erasing the disk or not. This error dialogue would pop up as the process began:

SystemSettingsAdminFlows.exe - Bad Image posted:

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.19041.1852_none_7de3b01c7cacf858\ReserveManager.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0xc000012f.
    and then it would get to 80% or so on the progress bar before giving a notification that the reset failed and no changes had been made.
  • sfc /scannow in terminal: returned "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"
  • Running setup.exe on a windows install media drive failed

Recent changes: Computer sat mostly unused for most of August and September; after about a month of 90% functionality but certain apps and reset/repair options not working; in the last few days it has stopped loading Windows entirely
--

Operating system:

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 64-bit for x64
OS build 19044.1826

System specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core
MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (MS-7C95)
Geforce RTX 2060
32768MB of memory

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd reset your BIOS to default settings and see if you can get back into W10.

If that doesn't help then a new SSD might be the way to go.

Also, if you can get back into W10 then you could try updating your motherboard BIOS to the latest version. That might allow you to install W11. A lot of motherboards have a bunch of settings that need to be toggled to install W11 and the latest BIOS versions are enabling them by default to make the process simpler.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I was able to update the BIOS to the latest version and get back into W10, but all other problems remain unchanged :smith:

actually one thing is different; the PC Health Check app now says i'm W11 ready but the updater in Settings still says I don't meet minimum requirements

guess I'll go ahead and order a new SSD, but real talk it feels so ridiculous that the reset functions aren't more robust, it's like a scene in a comedy movie where a character on a runaway train pulls the emergency brake and the handle comes off in their hand :sigh:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could also run https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php to see if the drive has any issues.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Appreciated; the drive is at 99% health/perfect condition so at least I'll get to enjoy increased storage capacity once I get this thing back up and running, I guess.

Further question though actually; what's the best way to clean the drive going to be? I'm assuming I'll fully remove it from the motherboard, swap in the new one, install and update windows, then add the old one to my other M.2 slot, and just... drag everything to the trash? (already made external backups so i'm not worried about recovering anything from it)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Further question though actually; what's the best way to clean the drive going to be? I'm assuming I'll fully remove it from the motherboard, swap in the new one, install and update windows, then add the old one to my other M.2 slot, and just... drag everything to the trash? (already made external backups so i'm not worried about recovering anything from it)

Yeah, you could do that.

It's odd that you can't format that drive in any way to reinstall W10 though.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

update: new ssd arrived and is in the machine, and now i'm getting the 0x8007025D error trying to install windows 10, which apparently may be happening because i stupidly bought a hard drive bigger than 250gb? this less-than-2-years-old several-thousand dollar pile of hardware is really feeling like so much fancy scrap metal right now though

meanwhile, posting from a decade-old daily driver MBP that has never given me so much as a hiccup of trouble. lol, lmao.

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 3, 2022

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Second update: swapped the old one back in, booted windows 10, put windows 11 on my install media. New drive back in, windows 11 installs, immediately bluescreens with stop code 0xc000021a, which apparently indicates:

“microsoft” posted:

The 0xC000021A error can occur if Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe stops working. This happens if:
There were corrupt system files in the computer.
There was a failed upgrade.
Incomplete installation of a software program.
Unplug all external devices like flash drive, printer and scanner etc., (except mouse and keyboard) connected to the computer and restart the system to check if the computer boots to the desktop screen.

So now I’m genuinely in a worse position than I was when I started I think as all I’ve managed to accomplish is gently caress up this ssd such that the recovery environment doesn’t even work? I guess I can mount it in the other slot and boot from the old and reformat :sigh:

Next step is I guess getting a fresh, higher capacity usb for my install media? Current is a junk-drawer find with exactly the recommended 8gb storage, although the installer didn’t have any complaints about it

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 3, 2022

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Next step is I guess getting a fresh, higher capacity usb for my install media? Current is a junk-drawer find with exactly the recommended 8gb storage, although the installer didn’t have any complaints about it

Yeah, you could try that. That 0x8007025D error is sometimes remedied by using another flash drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

New flash drive seems to have sorted it out; Windows 11 is up and running. Much appreciate the guidance, Zogo :wave: