Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
There are some people who seem to crack every screen they own. I, myself, am usually really good at taking care of my things, but I was a phone-caseless renegade for a long time.
And eventually I did drop a phone and cracked the camera glass. I replaced the glass myself (twice), but the waterproofing wasn't the same, and moisture got in and blurred up the edges of my photos. :'(

Not sure if it counts as a gadget, but I once lent my 3DS to a family member, who started taking it to work. They then proceeded to place a hot soldering iron on it, and melted a huge gash into it. Somehow, miraculously, the damages were only cosmetic.

How many gadgets have you managed to break or have broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

A Motorola Moto X Pure Edition that I didn't put a case on. Bought the phone new and unlocked for under 300 dollars at Best Buy though so I wasn't terribly broken up about it.

Man, you could get a lot of phone for the money back then. Snapdragon 808, 1440p lcd, even 4k video recording.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, bonus mention for the expensive wireless earbuds my SO bought me, and then I accidentally lost within a week. The whole thing fell out of my pocket somehow I guess. :( I felt so bad.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I've rarely dropped a few caseless phones, but never broken one.

My wife managed to slam dunk an iPad onto the tile floor somehow and despite having an Otterbox the screen was completely and unusably shattered.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just two, both in the bathroom

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

my last phone I had for 5 years, and I dropped it 100s of time easily. I finally broke the screen this summer, coincidentally my BIL was getting rid of a phone and I was just able to swap my SIM card into it and keep going for cheap. When I took the case off my old phone, the backside was covered in dents that made me really wonder how the back of the phone took so much damage through the case, while the front seemed impervious to damage for years.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Just one really, a Galaxy S5. It was in a case but dropped and landed face-down on a gravel driveway. It remained usable til it was time for a new phone anyway, though.

Cracked a screen protector on an iPhone 12 Pro from a face-down drop onto the extremely smooth, flat, and hard floor of a Home Depot. I don't know if it saved the screen but I was glad to have it right then

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Broke the screen on one of my phones - it was in a case but I managed to drop it just right.

In my first job interning at a MSP I managed to destroy a computer when I forgot to plug in the CPU fan on the very first computer I was asked to fix. Over a decade later I haven't made that mistake again!

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

For phones I've arguably broken two, both the same way. I would periodically wash them with soapy water to get dirt, germs, and oily residues off the surface. Despite being IP68 rated both phone's charging ports eventually failed, presumably because lingering moisture eventually corroded the contacts. They still worked perfectly fine wirelessly charging though.

I also all but broke a Gameboy Advance trying to install an Afterburner Lighting Kit. It worked well until the adhesive holding the screen cover on failed. I tried to glue it back on but off-gassing of the glue fogged up the plastic. I then tried to install a 3rd party aftermarket one but the same thing happened. Eventually one of the solder joints failed and I gave up and bought a GBA SP once they went on sale.

Jacobus Spades fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 3, 2022

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I went like 15 years never breaking a single device and I have broken the screen of my last 2 :( The first one wasn't THAT big of a deal because it was sort of on the backend of it's life, but literally like an hour after telling my wife "Goddamn this Pixel 6 is slick, it has glass on the front AND back" I was out on my back porch playing with my son, my phone was in the pocket of my hoodie and as I kneeled down it slipped out and fell right on the side cracking the glass on the back and the screen on the front.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dropped a work phone and annihilated the screen. Everything else has just died gracefully of old age.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Going aaaaaaaaaaaaalll the way back, I broke exactly one Nokia 6162 screen in 2002 I was drunk and skateboarding

Broke an Iphone 3gs screen as a renegade without a case. At least it was relatively easy to repair myself, and I never ran naked phone again.

However, I broke every.single.Samsung Galaxy I had, from S3 through 10+. I didn't necessarily baby the phones, but they were always in protective cases and I think 80% of them broke from something stupid. Specifically at least one broke at work because it fell out of my pocket? :???: Another shattered when it fell out of my sweatshirt pocket as I sprinted across an intersection.

To be fair, last year I broke an Iphone Max Pro (12 I think?) when I crashed my bicycle. It still worked fine even though the screen was cracked, and AT&T ended up giving me a good enough deal on a trade-in that I didn't claim warranty or anything. I don't really like the Apple ecosystem necessarily, but I seem to destroy Samsung stuff and AFAIK the other manufacturers are even more delicate? I didn't think I needed a ruggedized phone but maybe I do?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I have put a small debt in the corner of a phone once.

I have no idea how people manage to crack every screen they have. That poo poo is just baffling to me. You'd think after their third screen, they'd make some kind of change, but naaaa

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Sony Xperia Compact of some sort back in 2015ish. I dropped it getting out of my car and it took a JFK-style magic bullet journey, bouncing off several things on the way down and gaining rotational momentum before exiting my car cartwheeling sideways at high speed and bouncing a solid 10 feet across the rough asphalt pavement before taking a high bounce and landing square on its face. Rugby fans would have thought it was a beautiful grubber kick. Sony repaired the screen and then apparently forgot to bill me, so I never actually got to be a Broken Phone Guy :toot:

I drop phones all the time and also do not understand how that becomes such a thing for some people, if it was that easy I'd break every device I own. (I predict I will now take on the curse for having spoken about it).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't particularly baby my stuff but only ever broke one phone. Of course it had to be the work S22 Ultra only months after getting it, while traveling on vacation.

It was even in this loving flipcase and most likely in my pocket or hand when I bumped it into something. Never dropped it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

You took your work phone on vacation?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kri kri posted:

You took your work phone on vacation?

Well it's just "the phone" that they pay for. I don't have another one (other than this Note9 which I was supposed to return but didn't because of the rona). I'm not on call or anything.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Not counting anything due to an actual design fault (controller stick drift, 360 rrod, etc.)

- I've killed at least four fans running them near 24/7 (i have tinnitus, and I just really like having a breeze)
- battery expansion on my Nexus 5 because smart (wireless) charging wasn't a thing yet, where it auto shuts off.
- Destroyed the simtray in my LG G6 because it was cheap lovely plastic, and got caught on something inside, meaning I couldn't even give it away.
- worn out the 3.5mm jack on at least six pairs of headphones at work over the years (mostly various Sennheisers). I am so glad Bluetooth became a thing. 3.5mm is such a trash standard unless it's always left plugged into a device that never moves froma desk. It can't take physical wear and tear at all. Fight me.
- killed a ~2009 era Windows 7 amd shitbox acer by spilling soda onto the keyboard in 2012. Bought a refurb 2012 Mac Mini and never looked back.
- killed an external hdd due to repeated power loss *I think*.
- cheap Hamilton Beach blender with ice cubes
- burnt out the heating element in a cheap Salton/black and Decker rice cooker cause i would make soup with it.
- dropped a plastic flashlight last winter and it broke
- broke the glass on two gen 1 Apple trackpads by dropping them
- broke the piece of plastic connecting the headband and the earpiece to at least 4 Xbox 360 chat headsets (the connector is VERY thin plastic)
- snapped the plastic headband right in the middle of a Sony PS4 Gold headset by casually tossing them onto a couch.
- entry level Yamaha 5.1 avr: one day just stopped outputting anything to the speakers and I don't know why. Reasonably certain it was due to sudden power outages.

Not broken, but I've lost every watch and calculator I've ever owned.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 11, 2023

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, I just remembered the time I tried plugging in my XBox 360 into European mains. It turns out they are not universal! It pretty quickly burned itself out. At least only the external power supply unit / cable was the only thing damaged, so I was able to replace it.

I brought my PS3 this time, and I was extremely cautious about plugging it in. I even bought a power converter. But after doing some more research, I discovered that almost all PS3s (including mine) are universal and the converter would likely do more harm than good because of the differences in Hz. So it plugged in without any issues.
But then I somehow ran into it with my chair and gave it minor cosmetic damage. :'(

hoppits
Jan 21, 2017

I have broken a lot of phones over the years. Most recently has been my pixel 4a 5G from eBay. Which I ended up starting to bend at the time because the USB type C port wouldn’t charge unless I bent the phone a certain way. Surprise surprise! :eek: I ended up breaking the phone one day trying to get it to charge! I then afterwards wasted another 200 dollars on a Pixel 5A which was the most scratched up and hosed up phone in existence I have seen up to that point. But at least the screen wasn’t cracked. But, :downsgun: it bricked itself with me doing nothing to it in a couple of months. I honestly just went back to using my iPhone XR at that rate and after breaking the bottom speaker of it via having it in my bathtub. I bought a new android phone from Amazon and tortured it with Nintendo Switch emulation with legal roms dumped from my hacked Nintendo Switch and after using it for a year. I watched as the phone after a couple of updates slowed down to terrible speeds and went back to using my iPhone XR now with broken bottom firing speaker and that’s my current phone now. I use Bluetooth headphones with it constantly and miss having a headphone jack. Send help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 days!)

I have only broken a few phones by cracking the screen after falling onto rocks or putting the first Pixel into a washing machine, loading in some detergent and turning it on.
Beyond that things have died thanks to design faults, mostly lost HTC One and Ipod Touch to 3.5mm jack getting loose.
Headphone wise, my MDR V6 just had a driver die and my Fidelio X2 daily drivers have actually gotten loose on the headband from dropping them too much.

I don't perticularly baby my devices and I've really only have had 2 devices die to the point of being unusable from dropping them, both 5 years into their lifespan. Not bad I used to do downhill and dirtjump for the first decade of smart devices getting popular.