Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Have an idea for a new sport? Post it here. Team sports, individual sports, professional sports, virtual sports, sports to be played in space or on Mars - all welcome here.

I'm still working out my idea, but I think it could be a lot of fun to have a team sport which combines capture the flag/ball and sabre fencing.
In fencing, you have the lights that go on when you make a hit; I think we can have this for each person on that person, more like in laser tag.
Then you have some ball or flag on either side, and you have to make it back with that to your side. If you get hit, you have to put the ball down or hand it over or something.
I guess it's basically fancy LARPing, but it might be fun.
Cons: Requires special equipment and probably difficult to convince enough people to play with you
Pros: Swords and LEDs

Feel free to tell me how bad my idea is (very) or tell me your ideas for something new and exciting in the world of sport!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Current ball sports, but with multiple balls

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Competitive jousting. It should come in two flavors too; the more serious technique-focused "real" play (MMA), and the more pageant and narrative infused spectacle style (WWE).

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
American football, but replace the football with a baseball and give the receivers mitts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Basketball, but played with an american football ball (yes you still have to somehow dribble the ball)

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Leperflesh posted:

Basketball, but played with an american football ball (yes you still have to somehow dribble the ball)

do you think it's harder to sink a three with a basketball or a football

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Hockey but played in a big bowl like at a skate park and it's on rollerblades instead of ice skates and the skates all have rocket boosters on them.

Rocket hockey.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Hitlerball

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

do you think it's harder to sink a three with a basketball or a football

well I think a football gets caught in the net more easily but probably it's harder if you need to use the backboard at all, and easier if you can just dunk it since you can easily grip it

which btw makes me realize you'd have to do something about traveling rules?

Ooh I know how about volleyball, but with a football

...actually just every sport, but with a football, now I think about it!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Toaster Beef posted:

American football, but replace the football with a baseball and give the receivers mitts.
Replace the mitts with Jai Alai slingers and I'm sold. I wanna see a receiver catch a pass that's going 145 mph.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

There needs to be more sportified obstacle courses. Possibly relay style while having to carry a modest size ball. Like softball sized, but very bouncy.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Not Important posted:

Hockey but played in a big bowl like at a skate park and it's on rollerblades instead of ice skates and the skates all have rocket boosters on them.

Rocket hockey.

I swear I saw this on ESPN 2 back in the 90s

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

This has so much potential. Either with tagging with the ball or tackle.
The opposing team has to pitch to a batter for the field goal.

Stiev Awt posted:

Hitlerball

It’s only redeeming quality is that every game ends in sudden death.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Maigius posted:

There needs to be more sportified obstacle courses. Possibly relay style while having to carry a modest size ball. Like softball sized, but very bouncy.

I saw an obstacle course with single prop airplanes a long, long time ago on ESPN. They had cameras with a forward view and it was awesome. Back in the day, ESPN used to show really weird, off the wall sporting events instead of 24/7 commentary.

edit: Drone races are fun too.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There is one faberge egg. Two players. Players flip a coin. The game lasts two hours. The only way to move is to toss the egg into the air and catch it. The game is played on a football field. You get one point for every score. Then you put it down and your opponent picks it up and tries to get it to the other end of the field. If the egg hits the ground and breaks, the last person who touched it automatically loses. Of course there are pass interference rules and limited contact allowed so there's enough controversy for fan interest.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

MakaVillian posted:

Current ball sports, but with multiple balls

I actually kind of like this idea, but with teams instead of balls. Imagine the dynamic of having four teams instead of two. Alliances forming and breaking on the field as the game goes on and such.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Polo, but with hot air balloons

Jousting, but with hot air balloons

Airsoft, but with hot air balloons

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Totally possible. See Aussie rules football.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Shadow0 posted:

Polo, but with hot air balloons

Jousting, but with hot air balloons

Airsoft, but with hot air balloons

Ok there Phileas Fogg

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Extreme Curling

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

baseball but all nine people on the field have to both hit and play a position or pitch.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
SHITASS: it's a hacky-sack circle and if you drop the hack or are responsible for a non-receivable pass resulting in a dropped hack, you gain a letter. Much like the basketball game "HORSE", each letter gained in sequence will spell SHITASS. The first person to receive the SHITASS title must face the nearest wall and bend over. Each other participant takes one turn throwing the hacky sack as hard as they can at the loser's rear end.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Every time I try to invent a new sport, it always turns into Pro Thunderball.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

-There aren't that many sports that use a puck/wheel as the object in play, so maybe you could do something with that. Like some combination of hoop rolling and air hockey, where you roll the wheel around the field and score it by hitting it into a narrow goal.

-Or how about something based off of paper airplanes, like a variant of handball that uses a winged object that you can do tricks with in the air.

-Special Stage from Sonic 2 but real.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Game I played as a kid. Start at one end of the living room. Get on knees. Throw remote control forward into the air. Catch it. Get to the other end of the living room without breaking the controller. Repeat until you get tired or break the remote.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We need more winter sports.

High-speed downhill ice skating. Like grand slalom skiing, but with an ice course that looks like those olympic snowboard sets for all the tricks you can do. I'm sure this won't be that dangerous.

12-man bobsled. The sled can be articulated so it goes around corners like a train.

That sport where you ski a course and then also shoot at targets with a rifle? Let's upgrade that poo poo. You ski a course and at various stations you have to scramble up an ice wall using mountain climbing gear, make snowballs and throw them through progressively higher hoops over part of the skiing course (so if you want you can pelt your competitors as they ski by), do a big ski jump for maximum distance, etc. Also in the rifle bits instead of shooting a little round targets make it more like those carnival shooting galleries, with moving clown faces and ducks etc.

Let's have a fully winterized version of baseball, played with snowshoes on a thick blanket of freshly blown snow (they can use those huge snowmakers they have at ski resorts to blow more snow on the field between every inning) and a black baseball so you can see it when it thunks into a snowbank.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

High-speed downhill ice skating. Like grand slalom skiing, but with an ice course that looks like those olympic snowboard sets for all the tricks you can do. I'm sure this won't be that dangerous.

12-man bobsled. The sled can be articulated so it goes around corners like a train.

That sport where you ski a course and then also shoot at targets with a rifle? Let's upgrade that poo poo. You ski a course and at various stations you have to scramble up an ice wall using mountain climbing gear, make snowballs and throw them through progressively higher hoops over part of the skiing course (so if you want you can pelt your competitors as they ski by), do a big ski jump for maximum distance, etc. Also in the rifle bits instead of shooting a little round targets make it more like those carnival shooting galleries, with moving clown faces and ducks etc.

Let's have a fully winterized version of baseball, played with snowshoes on a thick blanket of freshly blown snow (they can use those huge snowmakers they have at ski resorts to blow more snow on the field between every inning) and a black baseball so you can see it when it thunks into a snowbank.

the winter olympics need more Flat Sports. It's the winter olympics not the loving Mountain Olympics, sincerely a person from Illinois.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

they already have curling, objectively the best winter sport; and also hockey, and cross-country skiing is sorta flat, what more do you want? Ice Basketball? Fine. We can have Ice Basketball.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

competitive shoveling

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Making fun of people in cold weather the sport.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Red Bull Ice Cross is similar to this, though with no jumps and 5 people on a bobsleigh track

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
hardcore raking

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

baseball but with water balloons

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Hand Knit posted:

I swear I saw this on ESPN 2 back in the 90s

It was called Pro Beach Hockey and it loving ruled and I miss it every day

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Mixed martial arts in a bowl could be neat. Prevents the boring fence-smooshing part.

They tried it once, but the bowl was more of a sloped wall bolted to a flat boxing ring, so that people would trip on the bottom of the slope. Also, they left they left the seats in the same place so the first few rows couldn't see over the wall.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Leperflesh posted:

they already have curling, objectively the best winter sport; and also hockey, and cross-country skiing is sorta flat, what more do you want? Ice Basketball? Fine. We can have Ice Basketball.

More curling, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

That sport where you ski a course and then also shoot at targets with a rifle? Let's upgrade that poo poo.
Easy fix for Biathlon: put em on skidoos and point em at each other.