Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

MononcQc posted:

new cohost financial update is in: https://cohost.org/staff/post/1999123-p-id-8948aafc-0abd

they're apparently no longer on absolute fire, which I guess is good news?

what the hell changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

what the hell changed?

I assume a bunch of people likely paid yearly subscriptions in support following last report, which will buy them a few months, but not a sustainable rate yet

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the financial post has a few concerning things in it. the figures for expenses are largely meaningless

* "expenses" isn't reported as a monthly figure and can't be compared to anything
* cohost plus is double-counted, both as part of net income (the lump payment from a new subscriber) and as monthly recurring revenue, even for yearly subs

assuming their actual monthly expenses are about $45k per month, their recurring revenue is still about 30% of what it needs to be, and even this month's revenue ($31k) is still short of that too, eveven with the up-front subscriptions.

their plan seems to be to hold out until they can get another loan from daddy warbucks:

quote:

Looking forward
in the last update, we talked about a new round of funding. this is still in progress; we will have more to report here once it's completed, and to be totally clear, the hold-up is on our end, not our funder’s. the ball is in our court. fortunately, the revenue situation has changed enough that a lot of the Immediate Urgency has reduced, letting us be more considered about how much we're raising. (again, our goal is to minimize debt.)

one thing that strikes me as very odd are the dates they chose for their report: 6/15 could conceivably be after a mid-month paycheck while 7/11 would be before it, so if you assume cohost pays twice-monthly their figures show can most of a month while conveniently missing half of their major expenses. and given that their "expenses" are $26k versus the expected $45k, that might be what's happening.

subscriptions (2,531) x price ($5) ~= $14,000, which lines up with the "monthly recurring revenue". it isn't made clear how many of them are actually monthly subscriptions, and how many of them were $50-up-front, $4-a-month yearly subscriptions.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lady Radia posted:

what the hell changed?

six hundred more people bought cohost plus subscriptions, and some portion of the existing subscribers bought additional cohost plus subscriptions (which does literally nothing except give more money to cohost)

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

honestly, if things are trending in the right direction for them and they can get another round of funding, good for them

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

you can upload audio files to cohost now. supports MP3, AAC, WAV, and FLAC. max file size is 5MB but if you have cohost plus it's 10MB. neat, imo

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i sure hope they add volume controls

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i think they're deferring to the client for that. i guess they could do it but maybe it'd be difficult with multiple embeds per-post allowed. either way it's never autoplay, can't even make it do it as an option. here's an awful example of it in action:

https://cohost.org/garbo/post/2293898-empty

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i mean every browser has built-in volume controls if you use the native embed format, it's just that cohost doesn't because they want it to be fancy over functional

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

oh yeah that's a good point, they coulda just done HTML5 media embeds. dunno why they did it the way they did.

still it's not like any other site does it with media embeds. but idk land of contrasts

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

looks like their session database is overflowing again, it won’t even hold a login for 12 hours anymore

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
is it shared with the post db? too many copies of doom-as-css in the RDS maybe?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Jonny 290 posted:

is it shared with the post db? too many copies of doom-as-css in the RDS maybe?

don't tell me somebody committed the ultimate css crime and ported doom to cohost

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
not sure, but that's definitely somebody's goal out there

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
someone made a point-n-click doom adventure through e1m1

that said the financial post promised two weeks ago has yet to manifest as well, sounds like it's more than just sessions having bookkeeping issues

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Zamujasa posted:

someone made a point-n-click doom adventure through e1m1
neat, link?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Tankakern posted:

is everything on bsky walled in now, or is there a way to share posts without the recipient having an account?

yeah change the bsky in the url to psky

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

nothing on bluesky is ‘walled in,’ assume anyone can read the posts you make there

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

OldAlias posted:

nothing on bluesky is ‘walled in,’ assume anyone can read the posts you make there
also- people can see what you have liked

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
only a problem if you're a ted cruz type

no site on the internet is a 100% safe space. always assume that everything you click on is visible to the entire world

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

only a problem if you're a ted cruz type

no site on the internet is a 100% safe space. always assume that everything you click on is visible to the entire world
oh fr fr. important to know though. at least on twitter for a long while bookmarks were private

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
twitter has bookmarks?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i just command-L, type dril candles and hit enter

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

twitter has bookmarks?
had. it's dead forever

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've been doing a thing where I scanned 188 found photos from 1959/1960 I bought at a flea market and have been posting them 4 a day.

https://cohost.org/Vacances1959

It's been interesting!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

https://cohost.org/littleampton/post/539030-cohost-yeah-it-run

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ty garbo 🫡

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

if you like waterfowl ive got some posts for you: https://cohost.org/garbo/tagged/HONK%20REPORT. my mum retired last year and moved down south to a big property and has managed to assemble a menagerie.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Pile Of Garbage posted:

if you like waterfowl ive got some posts for you: https://cohost.org/garbo/tagged/HONK%20REPORT. my mum retired last year and moved down south to a big property and has managed to assemble a menagerie.

:honked: :honked: :honked: :honked: :honked: :honked: :honked: :honked:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

HONKED AGAIN!!!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Pile Of Garbage posted:

HONKED AGAIN!!!

these are great :3:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

cohost added this artist alley thing, i think it's a way for artists and whoever to promote themselves. seems neat: https://cohost.org/rc/artist-alley

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

cohost added this artist alley thing, i think it's a way for artists and whoever to promote themselves. seems neat: https://cohost.org/rc/artist-alley

I found it neat and was instantly annoyed I can filter in by tags but can't exclude by tags. Like you can't not see furry stuff and I have zero interest in that.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah thats cohost all right

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol yeah that's cohost af

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah thats cohost all right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that said i logged onto cohost for the first time in a bit last week, and had an excellent time reading my feed. hasn't changed, it is a weird past vision of the internet, but there's good people on there.