Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/jackdwagner/status/1576991902305464320

Otherworld is a podcast from Jack Wagner of Yeah but Still. Each episode is a story sent to Jack by someone who experienced something unexplained or paranormal. It's got a killer intro song too

There's only seven episodes so far but they mostly seem to be ghost/nightmare stories that range from fascinating to weird, but not that hard to explain. I'll admit to being a little freaked out to hear some of these, though. I found myself checking the apartment for The Hatman the other night lol

I'm also really curious if anyone has sleuthed out which college campus was the one featured in the latest episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
The stories are cool, but out of the 3 episodes I've listened to they've already twice brought in some preacher or exorcist to say "it's demons" or "it's satanists". Wow, thank you for your input bible man, very cool.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

grate deceiver posted:

The stories are cool, but out of the 3 episodes I've listened to they've already twice brought in some preacher or exorcist to say "it's demons" or "it's satanists". Wow, thank you for your input bible man, very cool.

Yeah I really liked the random episodes I first listened to like the 4 part medium series around episode 20, which was fun, and a few other one shots.
Jack is a great host, and in general I like his specific demeanor, the right mix of sympathetic, and not being too credulous, but if I'd started with say the hatman episodes I would have just stopped.

Like how can you bring on a christian dude who says "yeah it's demons" and not bring up abuse of benadryl. Especially when one of the first people interviewed directly mentions allergic reactions and the christian kook even brings up drugs in his demon story in a coyling way.

I don't think the show would be better if Jack was openly skeptical on his show, but half of what makes this work is selling you on the host not being a sucker.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The bigfoot episodes are incredible, especially the first one. I don't care if it's real or not. I will never camp again without thinking about telepathic ape men in the woods

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-33-the-uwharries-pt-1/id1647611444?i=1000613973708

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
The Pit spooky as hell goddamn

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Bigfoot is real

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Been skipping around random episodes and have been enjoying it so far. I always like hearing these stories but so much of what’s out there sucks and can be outright boring, so it’s nice to have something that’s well made and fun to listen to. I do think it’s funny how often the episode will start with them saying something like “I actually have sleep paralysis all the time, plagued by it really, so believe me when I say this wasn’t sleep paralysis. Also I was on mushrooms. So anyway about this bigfoot I saw,”

edit: That Eilish Poe series was legit scary

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 12, 2023

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
I mostly think of this podcast as just ok, not great, especially when Jack is giving commentary, but I have to say he really saved up some good stuff for this October. The Pit, Pest Control, and Many Things are all spooky as hell, you can really feel how sincere the guests are.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

I do think it’s funny how often the episode will start with them saying something like “I actually have sleep paralysis all the time, plagued by it really, so believe me when I say this wasn’t sleep paralysis. Also I was on mushrooms. So anyway about this bigfoot I saw,”

That Bigfoot episode is still my favorite of the pod. Completely shifted how I think about what cryptids could be. Yeah the mushrooms undermine their story. But they’re also not here to sell it and don’t need to clean it up for the talk show circuit. Believe it or not, it’s clear these guys don’t care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

That Bigfoot episode is still my favorite of the pod. Completely shifted how I think about what cryptids could be. Yeah the mushrooms undermine their story. But they’re also not here to sell it and don’t need to clean it up for the talk show circuit. Believe it or not, it’s clear these guys don’t care.

I agree with all that and I generally like the episodes where it’s clear they believe it. And the mushroom thing wouldn’t explain everything anyway, it’s just funny they have to admit to it. I had a harder time believing this most recent series honestly since it’s just the plot of Paranormal Activity with the native burial ground trope tacked onto the end.