Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Magic and D&D is basically all that's propping up Hasbro right now, so it's probably even harder to get something quirky approved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Do you have insight on how BG3 factors into that? Because it's D&D and I love it.

I guess it has improved the overall popularity and name recognition at least.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

From what I recall, Baldur's Gate 3 actually drove increased sales of 2022's Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate set. I'm not sure if the same can be said about 2021's Adventures in the Forgotten Realm though, since that would've been two years old and not as easy to find any longer.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

doverhog posted:

Do you have insight on how BG3 factors into that? Because it's D&D and I love it.

I guess it has improved the overall popularity and name recognition at least.

I think they got a $90 million payment for that?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
They did? I didn't know that. In honor of Shadowheart I decided to post a question instead of just googling it. :biotruths:

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Aphrodite posted:

They've since made Hans and Saffi, and a joke card called "Ach! Hans, run!".

There was also an Unfinity card where the art is a bear wearing a costume and the flavor text is "Ach! Hans, run! Get the camera!"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Neito posted:

I know MaRo says Future Sight was a mistake, but I wish they'd do another set like that. gently caress being competative, it was fun.

The Modern Horizons sets have big Future Sight energy.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

C-Euro posted:

The Modern Horizons sets have big Future Sight energy.

In some ways, but for me the really cool bits of Future Sight were the nods to potential future (some came true, others didn't) and the now charmingly ugly frame.

The frame:

Future Sight featured newly defined keywords that are now a bigger part of the game (Deathtouch, Shroud, Tribal, Delve), some that haven't yet made it (Fortify etc.) and even Tarmagoyf included a "spoiler" for the planeswalker type that would come in a subsequent set.

It's certainly more entertaining as a concept than Coldsnap (a set that was designed to be a "lost to time" throwback to Ice Age but in 2006).

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

door.jar posted:

In some ways, but for me the really cool bits of Future Sight were the nods to potential future (some came true, others didn't) and the now charmingly ugly frame.

The frame:

Future Sight featured newly defined keywords that are now a bigger part of the game (Deathtouch, Shroud, Tribal, Delve), some that haven't yet made it (Fortify etc.) and even Tarmagoyf included a "spoiler" for the planeswalker type that would come in a subsequent set.

It's certainly more entertaining as a concept than Coldsnap (a set that was designed to be a "lost to time" throwback to Ice Age but in 2006).

wait, coldsnap couldn't have come out in 2006
*looks it up, crumbles into dust*

Also I'm still extremely salty that Vedalken Aethermage can't bounce a Nameless Inversion that's on the stack. It's not even a very good play, let me do it!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I never liked the future sight frames. They make reading mana costs weirdly difficult

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

hjell of a lot more useful than johnny appleseed

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ilmucche posted:

I never liked the future sight frames. They make reading mana costs weirdly difficult

Any time someone does a TCG frame redesign they always put stuff like costs in the top left for people to fan out their cards and see it immediately and like, I get it, but it always looks off.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I find the future sight ones tended to blend a little with the frame

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think the future sight frames look generally cool but I totally agree that it was for the best they did not become a new standard. The Planar Chaos ones are pretty fun though while also being very readable because it's mostly just some color inversions going on.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Time Spiral block was some of the coolest poo poo they've ever done and I wish they'd experiment more like that and less with wacky themes

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Simply Simon posted:

Time Spiral block was some of the coolest poo poo they've ever done and I wish they'd experiment more like that and less with wacky themes

TSP block also reviewed pretty badly with consumers IIRC on account of its Limited environment being pretty unfriendly to new players, so I think that sort of thing is going to be confined to more "advanced" products like the aforementioned Modern Horizons stuff.

Can't remember if it was Legends or Homelands that cribbed a bunch of names and worldbuilding from a D&D campaign that some of its devs were running at the time, but if I ever find myself playing tabletop with non-Magic folks I'm definitely going to crib a name and a bit of background from the assortment of weirdos in Legends.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Can't remember if it was Legends or Homelands that cribbed a bunch of names and worldbuilding from a D&D campaign that some of its devs were running at the time, but if I ever find myself playing tabletop with non-Magic folks I'm definitely going to crib a name and a bit of background from the assortment of weirdos in Legends.

I want to say Homelands was the one cribbing for a D&D game while Legends was cribbing from real-world stuff for most of its inspiration.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Probably both. Legends legends were the creators' D&D characters.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Hey John, we snuck your favorite character into our Legends set!

Sivitri? That's awesome, what is she a 8/8 flier with trample?

No, she's a 7 mana Craw Wurm

gently caress you.

I know Ydwen Efreet and Mijae Djinn were named after Garfield's friends Wendy and Jamie that got married during the design of Arabian Nights so they got mirrored cards.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Hey John, we snuck your favorite character into our Legends set!

Sivitri? That's awesome, what is she a 8/8 flier with trample?

No, she's a 7 mana Craw Wurm

gently caress you.

I know Ydwen Efreet and Mijae Djinn were named after Garfield's friends Wendy and Jamie that got married during the design of Arabian Nights so they got mirrored cards.

Wyluli Wolf from Arabian nights is the same, but for his wife Lily Wu.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
I don’t know much Magic but I opened a pack for funsies and what the heck is this thing? https://scryfall.com/card/one/254/mirrex

All these cool monsters and I got a cloud.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Bro Mirrex is actually insane. It's perfectly plausible for it to win the game single-handedly

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Bro Mirrex is actually insane. It's perfectly plausible for it to win the game single-handedly

Hey now, let's be reasonable here. You need three other lands with it! ...but yeah, it does seem like a ridiculously good card.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

A one-off Mirrex is in a lot of decklists right now, yeah. Barely hurts to include (comes untapped and gives all colors for one turn helps a LOT), and later gives you something to do with your leftover mana, something that gives you inevitability to win? That's busted.

However, you're quite right, it's not very cool. Lands aren't cool*. A big issue in Magic is that most decks contain 10+ rare lands that are absolutely necessary for the deck to function or at the very least flow well, and the lands are fairly expensive, and it's super unexciting to eat your vegetables like that when deckbuilding.

*everybody post lands that actually are cool

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Randalor posted:

Hey now, let's be reasonable here. You need three other lands with it! ...but yeah, it does seem like a ridiculously good card.

It's not overpowered or anything but it can be pretty irritating because, generally speaking, you're not going to have any way to destroy it (because it's a land and most decks have no land destruction).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

A one-off Mirrex is in a lot of decklists right now, yeah. Barely hurts to include (comes untapped and gives all colors for one turn helps a LOT), and later gives you something to do with your leftover mana, something that gives you inevitability to win? That's busted.

However, you're quite right, it's not very cool. Lands aren't cool*. A big issue in Magic is that most decks contain 10+ rare lands that are absolutely necessary for the deck to function or at the very least flow well, and the lands are fairly expensive, and it's super unexciting to eat your vegetables like that when deckbuilding.

Tolarian Academy is cool and should be legal because I like it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tiggum posted:

It's not overpowered or anything but it can be pretty irritating because, generally speaking, you're not going to have any way to destroy it (because it's a land and most decks have no land destruction).

And the creatures it makes are risk-free to the land, worst case scenario you're making a "free" chump blocker every turn to throw in front of an attacking creature and best case... well, okay, best case is you have some infinitely-untapping land loop to make infinite tokens, but the second-best case is that your opponent doesn't attack, which means you get to build up am essentially-free army (resource wise) army that can poke your enemy to death.

Simply Simon posted:

Not really cool by itself, but kind of neat from a historical perspective that something from a promo card from the early days of Magic was almost used word-for-word for a mechanic much later on. I think the only difference is that Fight doesn't tap the creatures.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Randalor posted:

And the creatures it makes are risk-free to the land, worst case scenario you're making a "free" chump blocker every turn

Lol no you aint

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Randalor posted:

And the creatures it makes are risk-free to the land, worst case scenario you're making a "free" chump blocker every turn to throw in front of an attacking creature and best case... well, okay, best case is you have some infinitely-untapping land loop to make infinite tokens, but the second-best case is that your opponent doesn't attack, which means you get to build up am essentially-free army (resource wise) army that can poke your enemy to death.

Mites can't block specifically so that Mirrex and Skrelv's Hive don't just gum up a game and make it last forever

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Lol no you aint

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Mites can't block specifically so that Mirrex and Skrelv's Hive don't just gum up a game and make it last forever

Oh, whoops, missed that line. In that case, worst case scenario is that you're putting your opponent on a clock if they can't throw out creatures as fast as you. Either way, risk-free creatures that cost no cards are always a good thing.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

If the tokens could block Mirrex would be unbelievably annoying, like various lockout strategies in the old days (Ensnaring Bridge, Fog on Isochron Scepter...). The "unable to block" thing has shown up on a bunch of standard token types in recent sets specifically to make it easier to attack for both players - they don't want the games to devolve into "nobody can really do anything" boards.

Downside of that is that recently, Limited formats were extremely fast, and the current set HAS tokens that can block, for the explicit goal to pump the brakes a little.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

This new Thunder Junction set is pretty entertaining, and I absolutely love this giant tumbleweed.

https://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoiler/rumbleweed/

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

AcidCat posted:

This new Thunder Junction set is pretty entertaining, and I absolutely love this giant tumbleweed.

https://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoiler/rumbleweed/
I haven't played in decades so I don't know if they're good, but I can't help but enjoy this pair from the new set.

https://scryfall.com/card/otj/118/cunning-coyote
https://scryfall.com/card/otj/141/resilient-roadrunner

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Fearless_Decoy posted:

I haven't played in decades so I don't know if they're good, but I can't help but enjoy this pair from the new set.

https://scryfall.com/card/otj/118/cunning-coyote
https://scryfall.com/card/otj/141/resilient-roadrunner

I feel like the coyote should equip an artifact without paying its equip cost when it attacks, then sacrifice it at end of turn instead of this plot crap.

Much more on brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Also the coyote takes damage